Taipei Open Source Software User Group

I plan on kicking it with these guys soon. Maybe even next Tuesday. Looking to see if anyone would what to kick it too.

wiki.tossug.org/

I might be interested, but my chinese is a little weak. So what is it all about?

I think they just talk about general opensource stuff. I’m going to go and find out. I have a feeling that weak Mandarin combined with someone’s weak-excellent English will workout fine.

Alright, sounds like a good plan. Will you post how things are going?

Yeah. I think. I was thinking about setting up a group like this, but why “reinvent the wheel”? I’m hoping that this group will be able to sastisfy my technological sweet tooth (so to speak).

If I go next week I’ll post a summary of what it was all about.

Great, I am looking forward to it.

I might see if I can join you.

Yeah. I think. I was thinking about setting up a group like this, but why “reinvent the wheel”? I’m hoping that this group will be able to sastisfy my technological sweet tooth (so to speak).

If I go next week I’ll post a summary of what it was all about.[/quote]

I’m sure we’ll all be happy read the summary. I have to say from my previous experience though with the old Linux club in Taipei that the meetings in Chinese were a little frustrating for the foreigners. However, a lot of these Taiwanese guys are very good at programming, if you’re interested in that. There’s a FreeBSD group and they’re very much into Perl programming. But if programming isn’t you’re main interest, it would be best to start a foreigners’ Linux club. I’d be very interested in participating but I’m far from Taipei (in the deep south), so I’d have to know pretty far in advance if there’s going to be a meeting.

cheers,
DB

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][I]t would be best to start a foreigners’ Linux club. I’d be very interested in participating but I’m far from Taipei (in the deep south), so I’d have to know pretty far in advance if there’s going to be a meeting.

cheers,
DB[/quote]
This was my original idea, but a google search brought that group up so figured I’d see what they were doing first.

Didn’t make it last/this week, but I did by chance meet a guy that has a business setting up Linux servers/workstations, doing hosting and other things. I asked him about that group and he said his cousin was one of the people that started it (or one of the Linux groups, he mentioned www.linux.com.tw). Anyhoo, he said he wasn’t really interested in that group, but would be willing to help me out with learning stuff.

It’s on my calendar to go next week, was too busy this week.

Update over.

Miltownkid, did you ever make it to the meeting?

Not yet, but I will soon. I was working two jobs this month and that stops this week. I plan on becoming a regular (assuming it has good vibes and stuff).