Taipei Oxford international school

Hi everyone. I recently applied for a job at the Taipei Oxford international school. Have any of you worked there? I read one post from 4 years ago and I just wanted to hear some more experiences with the school.

Where is the post from four years ago? I worked for them for a while and would like to read it. My experience wasn’t the best, but the management may have changed there and your mileage may vary.

Taipei Oxford International School, located in Neihu Taipei. Was one of the worse school’s I’ve ever worked at. Which is saying a lot for having lived in Taiwan for 9 1/2 years. There’s absolutely no respect for foreign teachers. There was always something happening everyday. Probably one of the most stressful jobs I’ve come to work at. The school doesn’t even respect the foreign manager… Therefore when something morally goes wrong there’s only so much he could say or do. The Taiwanese staff have the right to shout, downgrade or interrupt your class with no remorse. The only reason I had stayed there was because the money was good and I really needed it. If your C.T doesn’t like you , she would rally other teachers and even parents to work against you. Some times, even involving the students. One time I was paid incorrectly and it was pulling tooth and nail to get it corrected. Despite the fact you have proof to show the hours you had worked(punch card). Oh yea, I did them a favour and sub’d for a sick coworker… In the end they refused to pay me for it. The management is still very poor. Lack of organizational skills and an immense lack of logical sense. Being the only coloured, female foreigner working at the school I would walk into conversations that were demeaning, racist, misogynistic and outright sexist. I use to respond and realized in the end you have to choose your fights. I loved my students and that was the only thing that kept me going. I have countless of stories that had transpired there. If you would like to hear more, just let me know. Be warned, they are brutal

3 Likes

According to a friend, it’s just another cram school with the usual pros and cons. The location/building is pretty good and the management respectful. The workload is heavy. Just roll with it and see how it goes.

Honestly, it seems to be a dump. Ludicrous curriculum. Taiwanese teachers clueless. The school has students…for now. But you won’t have any kind ownership over them. My friend says: stay away.

2 Likes

That was fast. Less than 3 months between comments :rofl:

A lot of it is just who you work with. Taiwanese teachers are enormously variable in quality and character (and so are foreign teachers.) My friend said her co-teacher was seemingly nice but actually rather hard to work with. The world changes. Teaching English in Taiwan has changed a lot…

I often think this kind of expectation is what makes it difficult for foreign nationals to fit in Taiwanese workplaces.

Why would you ever think that you would have any ‘ownership’ over them students? To the extent that anyone owns anything here, it is the employer who owns the goodwill and the contracts with the parents. In law, an employer get to control the way the employee works. This is why the old name for employment law is the law of master and servant.

It is simply not reasonable to expect that as an employee you are going to get autonomy and freedom to carry out your ideas. That’s just not the way it works here in Taiwan.

In reality, I suspect it isn’t that different in North America unless you do some really valuable knowledge-based work that puts a premium on innovation and creativity. Then your employer might forebear somewhat bossing you around but that is at her discretion. And is probably just for show anyway.

Actually, these ideas have spread to Taiwan to a certain extent. Some Taiwanese employers like to give their employees the impression that they provide a ‘free’ work environment. But that’s just a snow job to get you to work for them. In the end, they are the master and you are the servant.

1 Like

Christ guys the post is six years old. Why the fuck reply at length to it?

1 Like

All posts are equal in the eyes of the lord. Amen.

1 Like

But not necessarily the pope

The only difference is, they pay you!

1 Like

What you say is true. But the Taiwanese co-worker has tools to gain ownership, You are never going to be able to get rid of that person. Working with them is the whole tiresome job.

Working with Taiwanese coworkers is a part of most jobs in Taiwan. It’s a lot harder if you are not the One True Boss. They will fight you to death and win if you try to assert any authority over them that they do not think you have such as seniority or more experience or being a native speaker. And they will win.

The inability to work with Taiwanese coworkers is one of the major barriers to doing well at jobs in Taiwan for foreign national employees. Interestingly, this also seems to be a big problem in Japan too.

In any event, it is best to learn to work with your Taiwanese coworkers smoothly. Otherwise, almost all jobs in Taiwan will be very difficult and frustrating. The secret in my view is that you can both do more together if you work together.

1 Like

That’s very well said. What if your co-worker is a moron?

One way to look at it is that the world is full of morons we have to manage or work around. Another way is to try to empathize with the person and figure out what they are good at–there’s usually something. First try to figure out if they are acting like a moron because they hate their job and possible you as well. Be reliable, consistent, patient, and helpful. It’s often possible to bond over a crappy job and try to find ways to work together to make it less crappy. Good luck!

1 Like

Well said. You are a saint. She isn’t. Lol.