Taipei Polam Kopitiam (Xinyi branch) food poisoning

I try to avoid eating it when I can. Usually a lame excuse about already being full. When I can’t get out of that, I eat a bit. Obviously I’m not dead, but at times I feel like I’m playing Russian Roulette.

2 Likes

I and other family members have eaten leftover rice in any state imaginable countless times without any issue I ever noticed. I’m a bit skeptical there.

The only serious food poisoning I got was from a cold noodles place for lunch, it was a rough couple of days. Once I got a weird numbing in my mouth from some kind of root vegetable at vegetarian place. Once I had a piece of oilfish I guess that gave me a bad case of the craps.

1 Like

My daughter once had a very oily fish from the market and was :poop: pure puddles of yellow oil. She was fine otherwise. I wonder if it was the same fish.

I’ve only ever had true food poisoning in Korea. Had a number of seafood dishes, including sushi and oysters, at a fish market. Sure it was related to that. Projectile vomiting, fever, and :poop: my pants nonstop for a day. Had to get an IV at a hospital. Very embarrassing as I was with a new girlfriend but when she’s seen you like THAT…

In Taiwan, I haven’t really. Maybe very mild one once when I vomited in the morning after and then was fine (no, I didn’t drink the night before). I’ve had the craps tons of times though. I’m sure that was due to how spicy a dish was or whether it had some indigestible roots and veggies, and less about bacteria.

1 Like

My guess is: yes :slight_smile:

I asked an older Taiwanese friend and he just said of course they are very accustomed to how to store and eat rice. Just take how much you need from the fridge and reheat only that amount as needed and of course look and smell like you should do with any foods and normally you’d taste bad rice on the first bite if it missed the smell test.
He said the problem is if you don’t smell or taste first then spice it all up into fried rice, rice omelette or porridge then there’s higher risk you’ll miss the signs it’s off and then get sick after eating a meal of it.

1 Like

Reheats the whole pot full or just portions for each additional serving?

I used to see that all the time. My mother in law does a similar thing for a day but of course has the usual anti fly net

1 Like

Anti fly nest is already an upgrade from what I used to see. They used to just use news paper. :joy:

2 Likes

You guys should really include addresses when you’re giving out restaurant recommendations. Nobody is going to be able to find these places from the limited information given. :whistle:

2 Likes

Weren’t you constantly struggling in Malaysia? All that counts too, in my humble opinion.

Guy

I think this post is on the mark. The health authorities from the Taipei City government are trying to determine the exact source of these terrible outcomes.

There are, as I understand it, six cases—two people have died, and four more are reportedly in critical condition; a total of nine (so three more people) reportedly were ill over a five day period (May 19 - 23). Some outcomes after eating at this joint: “liver and kidney failure, septic shock, blast hepatitis, septic shock.” Just awful . . .

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202403270029

Guy

2 Likes

I thought the article clearly write the common order is kweetiau (flat fried noddle).
With most likely cause is bongkrec acid (from improper preparation of coconut milk?)
Not rice at all. No mall restaurants will use leftover rice for fried rice. Let alone in Taiwan.
My guess, they are preparing coconut milk fresh (instead buying one), but forget it left someone.
SE Asian food use coconut milk almost always. Even sometimes in their Chinese peranakan cuisine.
Kweetiau would look like this

1 Like

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: .jl69

Depending on what you mean by leftover. But quick google shows best rice for fried rice is 1 day old rice.

The fine, long grains of jasmine rice with its delicate flavour are perfect for fried rice. Precook the rice at least 30 minutes, but preferably one day, before making fried rice and keep it uncovered in the fridge.

Anyone remember when they switched from reusable (washed in a plastic tub on the sidewalk) to disposable chopsticks to help control hepatitis?

These old style containers seem mostly gone now but I see boxes with reusable again.

1 Like

Didn’t Adam Ragusi…eh-Italian-name-guy explain what fried rice syndrome is perfectly in his video?

Anyway, rice or or rice products shouldn’t be left out in room temperature too long after being cooked. A spore producing bacteria called bacillus cereus is usually killed off by the drying process, and definitely dead after the cooking process. However, the spores they produced can survive those conditions, and moisture filled carbohydrates at room temperature is the perfect growing condition for these spores to spawn new bacillus cereus. While they consume the rice, they release enterotoxin, which is a toxin. So even if you reheat the dish, the bacteria would die, but the toxin won’t go away.

That being said, the situation is so severe that I wonder if it really is bacillus cereus. There’s a competing theory that it could be bongkrekic acid.

1 Like

30 minutes is not leftover rice. That’s just “rice”.

5 Likes

OYSTERS, also made me sick so if I eat it make sure its cooked well, like in the hot pot a long long time haha

The incubation period and duration of illness were about 36 hours. Diarrhoea occurred in 100% of patients, with colic and nausea in 88% and 80% respectively.

As anyone who follows Uncle Roger knows fried rice is always made with leftover rice. But I guess specifically the previous days rice not the previous month.

2 Likes

Well, it all depends on whether you left it out, put it in the fridge or freezer. Still, this case is much more likely to be bongkrekic acid like @arcticsquid said.

Fermented coconut can kill ya.