Taipei Pubs and Bars

I started to enjoy more of Taiwan when I took up hobbies that can be enjoyed more in Taiwan. So outdoor activities such as hiking or swimming in…Searching for a good place to have a beer and convo…Out. with added benefits that I can get up and do stuff in the mornings.
I mean it makes sense but it does require a big behavioural change. Having a family also helps because we wouldn’t be able to hang out in the pubs really anyway.

2 Likes

Brass Monkey always used to open during the day on weekends. I used to watch cricket there. Cricket and pool, even with a crappy pool table, is an unbeatable combination.

That’s a shame if they’ve stopped.

3 Likes

Heck, a thread about THIS topic that YOU started:

3 Likes

Can’t imagine they are very “with it” for today’s clientele. Actually surprised BM is still around.

1 Like

The Monkey used to open at lunch time and had a pretty good cheap buffet with all you can eat pizza and a salad bar. From what Max told me they just didn’t get enough business so they gave up on it.

1 Like

So many better places to go than Brass Monkey in 2021.

Goto Tasting Rooms, they have good food and beer

https://www.facebook.com/cysdaan/

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation; is that the English name of a chain or something? Don’t see it anywhere on their Facebook page. Huh, looking at the little graph for when people visit, you can see why bars don’t bother opening until evening. Menu, except for burgers, looks more snack-ish than meal-ish … but also confusing, because their photos seem to show options I don’t see on the menu (I can’t see the menu on their Facebook page, only via Google).

I still deeply miss beer options + chairs to comfortably sit for a couple of hours + food. That place looks good with friends, not so good to while away a couple of hours in the afternoon.

啜飲室 is Chinese name. Actually I usually goto Bodega which Is in the basement, but same place. It’s more like Brooklyn hipster brew pub than traditional pub, but they do good burgers and have many beers

https://m.facebook.com/bodegatpe/

The beer bar is on street level and cocktail bar in basement but both have same food and beer menu

1 Like

@tango42 FUMU is another place with nice food, beer and atmosphere. They are open all day as far as know

https://www.facebook.com/FuMuTaipei/

1 Like

My cousins and I still talk about our afternoon drinks at Brass Monkey three years ago. It was around 3:30 pm and, well, we were feeling good by the time we walked out a few hours later. It was a weekday, by the way. I guess that’s changed, though.

1 Like

I’m not with it either but BM is just basically a big boring room and I’ve always thought that. Compare it to pubs in my homeland and it sucks so bad (I don’t really like cocktail bars either which are all the rage here ). One of my favourite spots was the Shannon now that was a decent pub also with live music and good food. How hard is it to get that combination eh ! Younger people don’t really get the concept of going for a wild night out … I feel sorry for them …They are so uptight. Taiwanese must get s massive shock when they travel overseas first.

And the restaurant beside it was great too.

1 Like

The Shannon was great! A mate of mine played in a band there and I used to go often. Good drinks, good food and good crowd. Manager was a nice guy from abroad. Forget exactly where, somewhere in the EU.

Dan Ryan’s! Broke my heart when my favorite restaurant closed. Dinner there, then a night at the Shannon was perfection.

@Brianjones you’re killing me with nostalgia!

2 Likes

It sure was.

Dan Ryan’s …So long ago now I forgot the name. The Shannon was owned by a couple of expat types, one HK Indian ? The manager was Irish I think. They really fitted it out beautifully and it had a great atmosphere. People really enjoyed themselves.

2 Likes