Taipei riverside bike path news

Just wondering if there’s been any updates on the work on the new bridge next to the old Zhongzheng Bridge. I’d read the old bridge would be converted to pedestrian use some time in February or March this year, but I can’t find any information confirming whether that’s happened yet. Does anyone know? It’d help with my route planning.

1 Like

Dont forget any news about projects and constructions you can find here

1 Like

There is a lot of work in progress. I think right now the west-side is fully open for traffic both ways. Part of the east side was recently opened to connect from Yonghe to Taipei (水甚麼路 ? the connection for cars where scooters are not allowed). I do not know what the plans are for the future.

As a pedestrian or biker I would recommend to avoid this bridge for now. Having said that, it may be possible to cross safely using the walk-way on the west side that connects to the riverside park. I have not tried that.

1 Like

Is there an English link to this?

I don’t think so. That map is 4 years old. Many things have improved since I posted it. I would say more than 90% of riverside parks in Greater Taipei now have dedicated bike paths. Keelung and Taoyuan are expanding their bike path networks as well. So you would hardly need a map to find bike paths these days.

1 Like

A fish ladder has been built about a hundred meters downriver from Bitan along the right bank. They even put in an underwater viewing window so you could see fish fight their way upstream to spawn. I stopped by during my ride yesterday. Must have stared at it for a good 5 minutes. Not a single fish! I guess it’s not spawning season.

1 Like

I just took another look at the first video from March 11, and at 20.14 minutes you can see someone cycling along a dedicated pedestrian (and presumably bike) path on the west side of the new bridge.

So, yes: it seems you can cycle across it. Just need to find the access point now…