Taipei Sports Bar

Taipei Sports bar is now open. We have a professional staff with a western and chinese menu. We are still a work in progress but feel free to stop by and give us a try. We have a 46" plasma screen t.v. and a proffesional size pool table. We already had the number ranked asian pool player Fransico Bustamonte come in for a beer and a burger then kick my but in 9 ball. The best attribute of the bar in my opinion is our atmosphere. It’s lively and fun but not loud and obnoxious. We are located on Tunhwa S. Rd. Sec 2 lane 81 #61… Actually we are closer to Anhe rd. so if you’re walking find Wellcome on Anhe rd face their door then look right and you will see us. It takes 1 minute and 48 seconds to walk to Carnegies from us. I’m always looking to improve so let me know if you have any suggestions thanks.

went there and bumped into Doug McKenzie…

Taipei Sports’ Burger is damn good, a real thick & juicy ground beef patty, perfectly toasted bun and great fries…didn’t have any drinks as it was a school night…but menu looks solid…

place has a nice pool table, though i think when things pick up, it’ll get crowded quickly in there…

definitely a place to go back to.

-chris

played some pool with Mungacious and friends. actually it was the brand spacking clean new pool table with straight cue sticks that first drew me in.

And the grolsch beer.

good food too, and decent selection. The owner is friendly and responsive, but kicks my butt in pool. comfortable atmosphere.

looking forward to going back some more.

i’d be interested in a schedule too. would much rather watch some NBA, NHL, NFL than the usual EPL, rugby union games. hell, maybe even some CFL

I’m working on getting satalite t.v. this week.( We have regular cable now .) As far as the schedule for sports programs my plan is to get the bar in working order then work on getting a web sight up. If anyone out there can design a web site for me let me know and maybe we can work out a web sight for beer swap. Now the NBA playoffs are on. Just avoid catching the score and come in and watch the replay that night. Games have usually been starting at 9 or 9:30. Thursday our ovens will be installed in the kitchen and I hope to have pizzas and other goodies on the menu next week. Please bare with us, we are still a work in progress.

You’re kidding, right? Even the fastest designer using cookie cutter templates would need three or four hours to get a site up. And then you would want him to tweak it to make it look more distinctive or professional. How many beers are you offereing? 10 Grolsch? And what’s your cost on that? 50NT$ per bottle. So you’re hoping to find someone put your web site up for the equivalent of about NT$150/hour or less? Good luck.

A new bar in Taipei! Wow! But is it a good one? I’ll definitely come over soon for a gander. As long as this place stays clear of pretentious Tavern and tacky Brass Monkey-type formulae, it should do well. Any Happy Hour? Any web site? Any poles for dancing girls??

What’s the setup like? How many TVs? 'cause I’ll be relatively close to there once I move, and I love watching the rugby but apparently I’m in a minority here, so if I’m going to be stuck with bloody soccer and NHL and NBA and all that other tat I won’t bother.

About the new posts.
Sorry about not responding sooner but I had to go on vacation for 2 days. I’ve been working my ass off and needed it badly. As far as the drink prices most beers are 150 NT, and go up to 230 NT for Murphy’s Irish Stout. We have a very proffessional bartender from Hong Kong whom I’m very proud of so we also have a good selection of cocktails and mixed drinks. We have 3 draft beers : Carlsberg 150 NT, Boddington’s 180 NT and San Miguel 150 NT. Now for the sports schedule, one of the reason’s I opened this bar is because I feel most of the sports bars tend to favor European sports, ideas, food, ect. Don’t get me wrong most of the bars and pubs I’ve been too are fantastic places. With this said the majority of the programming will be geared towards American sports. I also feel for the Canadians so NHL ( if available I will know next week ) will also be available. To reply to a post about rugby, it’s impossible to make eveyone happy but if you are in my bar and make a request as long as there is no one watching an already scheduled game I will make it happen. We just had the ovens put in Thursday, I hope to have pizza on the menu next week. I’m in no hurry though because I won’t put it on the menu if I don’t like it .

Just curious but do people go to a particular bar because
(1) what’s showing on the plasma :idunno:
(2) quality of the grub :ohreally:
(3) quality of tap :beer:
(4) quality of the bartender :thumbsup:
(5) friends :bouncy:
(6) ambiance :thumbsup:
(7) quality (or number) of babes :exclamation:

Ray’s place is nice because:
(1) excellent bartender – but I’m still testing her, she hasn’t completely passed my NY battle-tested taste buds.
(2) super food - I had to come to Taipei to find a decent burger.
(3) Quality and friendly bar service/people.

If none of that appeals to you, then by all means, don’t bother coming. It’s not so much about is a place “American, Aussie, Brit, Euro” (although that can be important, yes) but is the quality of offerings one that makes you feel “at home” and want to come back to?

Ray, shoot me an email, wanted to continue chatting with you about the different things to try out when me, Todd, and Tony were there last week on the night of my visa jump. Be back in a couple of weeks.

Laters,

Huge thanks go to Ray_Thomas, Taipei Sports boss, and all-around nice guy :bouncy: (who also happens to be a long-lost friend from my Jiayi days almost 15 years ago - No kidding! :astonished: ).

Ray, you saved our Happy Hour. :notworthy: The food was great, the drinks generous, and your hospitality genuine. Folks, the roster of responsive, customer-oriented bar owners has just increased by one with the addition of Ray & Taipei Sports. :thumbsup: :uhhuh:

Special mention on the fries at Taipei Sports - they’re REALLY good!

thought the forumosa happy hour was supposed to be at carnegies? was out of town anyway but when and where is the next one?

Ray,

I bitched to Tomas all the way across town to the happy hour last night, on account of having to go to a sports bar. I go out to talk to my friends, not to look at bloody TV screens.

So I was pleasantly surprised by what I found. It’s a lovely place and I thoroughly enjoyed being there. I’ll come back for sure, but if you install another screen then you’re leaving precious little space for people who don’t go out exclusively to watch snooker. Admittedly, having snooker on the screen did discourage people from looing at it too avidly, and there was consequently quite a lot of chat, fun, etc. But give yourself over entirely to sports and you’re just another Tavern - admittedly with much more likeable management.

Anyway, thanks for a good time lat night. It was fun, and bringing that little blonde guy in for us to have a laugh at (sorry, laugh with) was a great move. Your barmaid is pretty delightful too.

Stagbasher:

I thought you must be talking about me but there is nothing little about Fred Smith. OH my head. I will NEVER drink again. Must remember to hit only one happy hour per night. So what time is happy hour tonight?

Had a great time. You will be definitely seeing me around again in the near future. That is a threat, er promise…

This was a great week for us at T.S. I want to especially thank the peeps at forumosa for stopping in. We had the satalite tv installed Thursday. Unfortunately I don’t have the European cup championship. I will make phone calls Monday and take care of this problem. We also extended the pool table floor so there is more space to shoot. Our menu is complete with the addition of pizza, taco and greek salad and burritos. My personal favorite is the Bbq chicken pizza. Hope you all had a great weekend.
Ray

P.S Moaman ( Really cool to see you! )

I know how you feel :laughing: !!! Anyway, pleasure to meet you the other day. All the best with the business. I personally like and support the idea of more places opening up in this area; it adds to the vibrancy and variety of this relatively leafy part of the city. I’ll pop by soon for a game of pool - a game at which I am pretty useless.

Cheers,

Bob

I haven’t made any posts in the last 2 weeks due to family issues. Those issues have been resolved and I’m back. I’m working with our chef and will have 8 new entrees by the end of this week. Including Steak, Honey glazed pork chops, Southern fried pork chops, Chicken Cordon bleu, Chicken parmesan, Southern fried chicken and Shepard’s pie. Within two weeks I plan to start opening for lunch. I just want to say I’m happy to be back and apoligize for any lack in service while I was away.
Ray

If you’re open to suggestions, how about some good desserts? About the best that I’ve found in Taipei is a Snickers™ Bar. :frowning: The restaurants and bakeries around here don’t seem to understand the concept of “flavor” in cakes and pastries.

Are you guys veggie friendly? I’d love a good sports bar with some food I can eat. Places like Dan Ryans totally put me off since there’s nothing I can order but french fries.

They have decent salads and non-meat appetizers like potato skins, jalepeno poppers. You can also get spaghetti with marinara sauce.

[quote=“Ray_Thomas”]I haven’t made any posts in the last 2 weeks due to family issues. Those issues have been resolved and I’m back. I’m working with our chef and will have 8 new entrees by the end of this week. Including Steak, Honey glazed pork chops, Southern fried pork chops, Chicken Cordon bleu, Chicken parmesan, Southern fried chicken and Shepard’s pie. Within two weeks I plan to start opening for lunch. I just want to say I’m happy to be back and apoligize for any lack in service while I was away.
Ray[/quote]

You’re not the only one who’s happy to see you back :slight_smile: :notworthy: