Taipei Sports Bar

I’m a veggie, and I thought they had a much better than average veggie selection. Quesadilas, burritos and stuff.

Brian

I was in there the other night and had a burger and fries. Good burger, great fries. But what really surprised me were the Chicken Strips. The meat was tender, the outside crispy but not oily and the quantity very generous! I think I need to start going through every item on their menu if everything is such good quality. Nice one Ray!

The burger is the best in town. But my vote also goes to the Pasta with cream sauce and the Pasta with garlic sauce. :uhhuh:

While I think of it - does Taipei Sports have a website yet? I had a scan through the thread but didn’t see anything… mind you, it is 2am, odds a good it’s there and I missed it. I’m just after a schedule of what y’all will be showing on the screens…

Ray is in the works for a website for TS. I think there was another Forumosan here who he was talking to about its design. If that person is reading, can you drop Ray a note? He accidentally lost your email address.

Had a great time last night Ray. Very nice to meet you. Lily is lovely as is Bunny. You have a fun, quaint little “boite”. I’ll be back.

Tell Lily there is an ATM in the 7-11. :wink:

ToeCarouses

Nice too meet you too Toe Man. :slight_smile: I must say I couldn’t be happier with the chemistry of the employees and customers. The testing of the new menu items is done and the new menu will be available no later than Wednesday ( August 4th ). We bought new tables this week and have new chairs on order. This Tuesday will be the first Pool Tournament for Taipei Sports. Entree fee will be 100 NT with the winner take all and second place recieving 2 drinks. The majority vote in the bar will decide if we play 8 ball or 9 Ball. After the tournament we will have another tournament playing the game " killer ". Again 100 NT entree fee winner take all but no second place. This game is played by everyone one taking one shot in order. If you miss a shot you recieve one strike. 3 strikes you are out of the game. You can shoot any ball. I will go more indepth into the game Tuesday. I learned this game in Thailand last week and it was really fun. I won’t be playing but will be running the tournaments. Wednesday is Lady’s night with ladies drinks half price. I’m racking my brain trying to come up with new promotions so more is on the way. Iseih glad you’re enjoying that burger :slight_smile: . Maoman a big congratulation to you and your lovely wife. I wish you all the happiness in the world and will see you Saturday. Almost forgot we have 2 new beers: Old Speckled Hen and Abbot Ale both price at 180.
Have a great week all,
Ray

well, I finally made it over to the Taipei Sports Bar tonight and got to meet Ray in person… Real nice guy… My friend and I thought the food was real good and the waitress was very polite and nice… we felt more “at home” around people who spoke english (my friend was finally able to order something without pointing at it)… It was a fun time and we definitely will return before we leave here. :slight_smile:

Er, what about 10-ball? Or eleven if you count the cueball. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve been really busy ( that’s the best way to say it ) the past week so I haven’t made any posts. Last night was even better than the first tournament last Tuesday. Congradulations to Carol who won 1000 NT last week and to Charles who took second and won 3 free beers. Last night the sharp shooting Bobby took 1400 NT first prize and bandana man Hsu took home the brew. Tonight is Lady’s night so all xx chromosomians get 1/2 price drinks all night long. Almost forgot special thanks to Bobby who gratiously bought a round of shots to the bar with his winnings. As far as bar news I scrapped the idea of serving expensive entrees and decided to stick with our proven menu. The Olympics is coming up and we already have several reservations for Taiwans first Olympic baseball appearance. No cover charge as usual, but a one beer minimum is required. The NFL is also coming up and I still don’t have a web site up ( I know I know guys :smiley: ) I will post the schedule on this forum.
Laters and Fried taters,
Ray

Ray, you did a great job on our dinners last night, even if you’re too modest to admit it yourself. :smiley: The only negative was that you couldn’t keep slaving over the stove until 4am to accomodate our late arrivals. But I suppose we’ll forgive you. :stuck_out_tongue:

I apoligize for the wait last night on food orders. My chef called in sick yesterday for the first time. I know how to cook most everything on the menu, but speed and multi task cooking are not my strong points. 3 or 4 orders I can handle with little anxiety, but 14 and things start going wrong. : :loco: : After burning my hand, almost lopping off my thumb and splattering grease on myself. I decided to close the kitchen. Again my apoligizes. Hopefully things will return to normal tonight. I have a new found respect for the chefs of the world.
Ray

Ray, food was still good :slight_smile:

BTW, the guys all agree, we miss “J” :frowning:.

Been meaning to post this for a few days but had a very busy week. I stopped in Taipei Sports bar last weekend to try the western grub after the high praise on this thread. Must say it seems well deserved. Took Maoman’s advice and tried the chicken strips and he was right (thanks Maoman), they were quite good and the fries have some type of crispy coating which is unique in Taiwan and they were excellent. Not only was the food very good but also in generous portions.

Things were so good I went back a couple nights later with a friend who had the burger which got good marks from him and we sampled more chicken strips which had improved even more from the last time. The owner Ray is a very nice guy and his original work-in-progress seems to be continuing. He conducted a market survey on us by giving us a sample of a new dish he was thinking of adding to the menu and advised us not to be afraid to offer honest criticism, which we did (it was good by the way). I like that in a pub owner, somebody really interested in learning what the customers want, not just the take-it-or-leave-it attitude you can find so often here.

The atmosphere is also nice, very modern d

Yes Interlator we have the US open on every night. Live as well. We have a new burger on the menu now. It’s called a Hawaii burger and I must say it’s my new favorite burger. Tested it on some customers and they liked it too. It has pineapple, bacon, cheese and a secret sauce ( until you ask me ). This week we are having the burger tryouts. Only the best will make the team menu. TS will specialize in burgers and Quesadillas. Our goal is to have 10 unique burgers. The Hawaii burger is not on the menu yet but if you come in I urge you to order it. That’s some good cow I tell ya.
Ray

[quote=“Ray_Thomas”]Yes Interlator we have the US open on every night. Live as well. We have a new burger on the menu now. It’s called a Hawaii burger and I must say it’s my new favorite burger. Tested it on some customers and they liked it too. It has pineapple, bacon, cheese and a secret sauce ( until you ask me ). This week we are having the burger tryouts. Only the best will make the team menu. TS will specialize in burgers and Quesadillas. Our goal is to have 10 unique burgers. The Hawaii burger is not on the menu yet but if you come in I urge you to order it. That’s some good cow I tell ya.
Ray[/quote]

Bigger buns! Bigger BUNS! For the love of beef man…get bigger buns.

How about a mexicali burger, with a heaping helping of gwak n salsa, sour cream too…See…you need bigger buns, especially with that big ol hunk of tomato and all the lettuce…

mmmm…Do you deliver???

ToeSalivates

I bought a small recipe book at Page One that had nothing but burgers in it. It was in the bargain bin so probably gone now. Not just ground beef burgers, but vegitarian, fish, seafood and the likes. You might want to take a look at it and photocopy what you find interesting.

Well, you might want to let the chef know it has pineapple, bacon, and cheese, because the Hawaiian burger I had last night was, not to put too fine a point on it, pitiful. It was the meat, sauce, and bun. I mean, what was there was really nice, but hardly a Hawaiian burger.

That’s my fault for not communicating with my chef to put cheese and bacon on your burger. Leaving out the pineapple well I hope that was just human error. None the less, I have taken care of this in the kitchen and again I apologize for the mishap. The next hamburger or any menu item you would like is on the house. I won’t forget.
Ray

Thanks for that Ray. Given how good the BBQ bacon cheeseburgers are, last night’s burger was a shock to the system :laughing: Now, to see what the most expensive item on the menu is :smiling_imp: :laughing: