Taipei, Taichung, Kaoshiung....Which city would you live in?

If not considering job opportunities, which city would you live in? Taipei, Taichung, or Kaoshiung?
:sunglasses:

Gaoxiong, because its near Kending :slight_smile:

Taipei, for nightlife

Taichung I dont really like…

Aint been there in ten years but I liked Ktown more and more and Taichung wasnt all that bad either. At least in the Chung you could get up to Ktown or Taipei in a reasonable amount of time either driving or taking the HSR (especially the latter).

[quote=“Scott123”]If not considering job opportunities, which city would you live in? Taipei, Taichung, or Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong)?
:sunglasses:[/quote]
Kaohsiung if you like the ocean, surfing, diving, sailing etc plus adventure sports such as river tracing, paragliding etc. Kaohsiung has great climate cool and dry throughout winter warm in spring and autumn but hot and humid in Summer. The people are quite laid back. Kaohsiung also has a lot of Canadians and South Africans but don’t let that put you off. Taichung has a slightly better climate and is very close to the mountains for great hiking. Taipei has very little to offer, it has an aweful climate, wet and cool throughout autumn, winter and spring, in summer it is stifling and very polluted. It also has abysmal traffic conditions and maniac drivers. The night life is probably the best in Taiwan if clubbing and boozing is your bag.

If I could do it all over again I’d live down south.

I still like Taipei the best. It gets nasty in winter, though – cold and humid. It’s less polluted than the other cities you mentioned by far and the traffic is a lot less chaotic, plus the extensive public transport network makes having your own transport largely unnecessary. Great hiking, often from right outside your front door if you choose your area wisely. Surfing less than an hour away, some good diving spots, or so I’ve been told. Loads of river tracing and that kind of thing.

Well I think you are right about the hiking and river tracing, but surfing? Not much to beat down Kenting way surely with all the typhoons rolling in from the Pacific, and isn’t the good diving over on the NE coast? Transport wise Kaohsiung now has its own MTR system which is much more comfortable than the one in Taipei [wider carriages and better seating] Admitedly the bus system sucks but the city center is way easier to negotiate by car or bicycle or motorbike and Kaohsiung people are very hospitable and friendly, including the foreigners living there. It is very easy to make friends in Kaohsiung. I found both the locals and the foreigners in Taipei to be rather insular and prone to cliques. Kaohsiung is like one big party with the foreigners and Chinese alike. Kaohsiung has my vote.

I grew up in Taipei, but Im liking Kaohsiung more and more. But many have said the Kaohsiung subway is like a poor mans version of Taipei’s. :slight_smile:

Not as pristine . Looking used while still brand new, etc. And those cars have seats like on the HK MTR which are just on the sides. I prefer the TPE MRT seats that face forwards or backwards.

Hi, well I can’t really comment on the quality of the Kaohsiung MRT as I don’t travel on it very often but that comment sounds like ‘sour grapes’ as the times that I have [travelled on it] I was most impressed and thought it was way better than the one in Taipei. The carriages are bigger and wider, allowing two people to stand side by side. Plus the stations are really clean and actually smell clean. No garbage anywhere. The central station has a very beautiful and huge, stained glass dome designed by a German artist which fills the whole area with coloured light. I would have to refer you to a picture in yesterday’s Taipei Times which shows the Taipei MTR with very narrow carriages and the seats facing each other. Is this a new design?
I have to say that Kaohsiung is way easier to get around in, wider roads, less aggressive drivers, simple grid system, Lots of cycle paths and rentable bicycle stands in the city center. Also a lot more green spaces than Taipei and the parks and schools have had all the walls removed from around them, making it much easier on the eye, as one can see straight across the green space.
In addition there is a breeze blowing from the nearby ocean most days. Well I could go on but then I would wind up writing promo’ for Kaohsiung city counsel… LOL. Come to sunny Kaohsiung!

[quote=“tommy525”]I grew up in Taipei, but Im liking Kaohsiung more and more. But many have said the Kaohsiung subway is like a poor mans version of Taipei’s. :slight_smile:

Not as pristine . Looking used while still brand new, etc. And those cars have seats like on the HK MTR which are just on the sides. I prefer the TPE MRT seats that face forwards or backwards.[/quote]