Taipei Times Headline right or wrong "swaps cash for digital payments"

Headline should read “swaps digital payments for cash” or “swaps cash with digital payments.”

No, the headline is correct…it simply means "The fish market is now accepting Digital Payments “in lieu” of cash…

Seems right to me too. They had cash, and now they’re swapping the cash for digital payments.

If you order a meal and ask to “swap Coke for Pepsi”, you now have the Coke which is the first item, not the second item.

Or the Coke in lieu of the Pepsi, again the first item in the statement.

I see it as just swapping out the original for something else. “Swap Coke for Pepsi” would give you a Coke, if the original order was for Pepsi. But, if the original order was a Coke, saying the same thing would get you a Pepsi. :2cents:

We usually swap the items “in hand” or “something we own” for something else…like swapping my guitar for a scooter…swapping my extremely hot gf for that limited edition Lambhorgini …“swap Coke for Pepsi” means you have a Pepsi now. We usually swap the first item for the second, not vice-versa.

2 Likes

Say what? If you swap coke for pepsi you end up with pepsi.

2 Likes

Is there some kind of cultural difference in the usage of the word swap?

Is there? Any insight? Usage seems identical to that of “trade” to me.

Shows what I know and probably a good thing I’m not an Engrish teacher.

Yeah, what these guys say makes sense. It means to “swap” something you have for something else. So, in that example, you would end up with a Pepsi in lieu of the Coke that normally comes with the order.

I was trying to understand what was going on. Looks from the post above that it was just a mistake.

I’m always interested in these kind of things. The possibility of saying to someone “Could I swap my book for your book?” and still ending up with my book. That’s how wars can start.

Sometimes there are UK/US differences, which seemed unlikely here but you never know. There even can be regional differences in the US. If one way sounds right to Tango, something like that could be going on.

A friend of mine got into a bit of a row with a co-teacher over bring/take. He was just being a bit of a British arse about it and wasn’t aware of the different usage in America.

We’ve had a few here :slight_smile: In front of/in back of/behind comes to mind

Isn’t there a superfluous word there? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Try this way. Starbucks serves coffee. And then they change to serving chicken.

So the headline should read “Starbucks swaps chicken for coffee”.

If the headline reads “Starbucks swaps coffee for chicken”, then it means they will give you coffee in exchange for a chicken.

And that’s why the chicken crossed the road, right or wrong?

It’s one of the few things we remain world leaders at. If it wasn’t for British arses the world would be considerably less interesting.

Nope, you would get chicken. Because they swapped out coffee for chicken.

Oh, I see what you mean. I don’t think “swap cash” collocates, so nobody would expect the headline to imply exchanging cash for digital payments.

You is so wrong it frightening…Starbucks can’t swap chicken for coffee, it never sold chicken in the first place.