Taipei Times or China Post: which paper better?

You know, I kind of agree with that. Papers were I am from have really gone down hill. The broadsheets are tabloided. The problem with TT and CP is there is not much actually in them, and they don’t tend to translate meaty articles from Chinese papers. Their business coverage sucks balls, basically reprints of press releases. The bilingual section is a toss right into the paper basket. I still buy the TT because I am old school, I like to read the papers. When I get sick of the TT Guardian and DPP articles I switch to the CP and get to read about some village in New Hampshire that has a prize cow herd dating back 150 years. Then I switch back again. I’m damned!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]
I did like the picture last week of the Fire truck which had an embedded “[color=#FF0000]Chinese Fire Drill[/color]” caption…that got a chuckle…well done lads… :bravo:[/quote]

Indeed that was a classic!
I’m not sure which is more poorly written & edited, but it would seem to me that the TT has better photos/graphics, while the CP has better slightly twisted captions and headlines.

It’s a tricky question :ponder: .

I’m going with Apple Daily. I can’t read Chinese.

+1 on that.
Reading from a computer screen may be timely now, but I miss ‘tactile news.’
Ink smudged fingers and all that…lol.

I lament the demise of the IHT for this reason. There were some excellent writers on staff and contributing to it in its “glory days.”
(yes, I know its still there - but its now merely the New York Times under a different name)

A nice example of CP’s unique reporting style. The last line just cracked me up.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/01/29/329977/Miaoli-medical.htm

[quote=“finley”]A nice example of CP’s unique reporting style. The last line just cracked me up.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/01/29/329977/Miaoli-medical.htm[/quote]
That particular one is actually CNA at its finest.

[quote=“finley”]A nice example of CP’s unique reporting style. The last line just cracked me up.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2012/01/29/329977/Miaoli-medical.htm[/quote]

“More people are beginning to realize that the issue of death is related to everyone,”

…and there I was thinking it was optional…

[quote]“More people are beginning to realize that the issue of death is related to everyone,”

…and there I was thinking it was optional…[/quote]

Yeah, it probably explains the general attitude to road safety. I was imagining some red-light-skipping scooter driver with an expression of utter bemusement on his face as the grim reaper appears to pick up the pieces: “hey, wait … you saying it applies to me too? But this is Taiwan”. Incidentally, according to another CP article, 10% of the population do not understand the new seat belt laws and will not (they say) comply. :idunno:

Ah … so it is. I must say I never checked the attributions. Anyway, it the combination of almost-Chinglish and deadpan descriptions of WTF-were-they-thinking events that hits the spot for me. I don’t care about actual news.

[list=][/list]
Read China Post online for the most part. I realize that they tend more to the KMT-blue political spectrum but they do not seem to make it as obvious as the Taipei Times. I really do not like reading a lot of political comments when I am reading the news (outside the editorial section). It seems like Taipei Times will never say anything negative about the DPP but you can see China Post articles that tell negative and positive about both parties. TT will never say anything positive about Ma. This is my opinion.

I’m sure a lot of you have seen this. For those of you who haven’t, just had to share another classic from the golden pen (keyboard?) of the China Post news staff:

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … e-take.htm

Taipei Times has a much better crossword.

I was interested and pleased to come across this kind of reporting in the Taipei Times today:

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 03564438/1

Have I been missing something? My respect for them has gone up a few notches.

Yep, kudos to the editor for making a stand, if you look at the video of the incident it indeed just likes mainland China.

His blog post on the event is even more raw and damning. But this is the real Taiwan where things are peaceful because no one challenges business and government. When they do the thugs come in to deal with them.

Then they come out with something like this, 10 days after the fact and wrong lol.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003565241

if I have that kind of free time, I still wouldn’t read China Post for fun. Surely there are things much more entertaining to do… Taipei times is better in terms of info in my opinion.

If you remember Taiwan News, you’d appreciate the China post a little more. I don’t really read either paper regularly although I often look at the Friday features of both. Today’s movie review of World War Z in the China Post points out that Brad Pitt looks old (so that was helpful).

I see Taipei Times has comments now.

how’s that possible, I thought he’s Benjamin Button…

Taipei Times leaves green ink on your hands when you put it down.

Then again, China Post often can’t even get basic English grammar right.

So do you want propaganda or high-school-level reporting? The choice is yours.