Taipei Times reports prattling of anonymous Internet user

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003551668

It’s gospel, I tell you.

signed
A Concerned Netizen

Don’t sell it too short. That’s groundbreaking stuff there.

Netizens Disagree Over Trifling Issue
BY CRAP REPORTER
An anonymous internet user today admonished another anonymous internet user for the latter’s disparaging comment regarding the Taipei Times reporting on an unscientific traffic study conducted by another anonymous internet user. As of press time, the matter remained unresolved.

Sincerely, I don’t blame them. These are slow news days. I had to dig deep in the bottom of the barrel to fill all the space available in my pages… “How big can we make this picture of 101? I’d like to show the crowd at the bottom.” The art department gals were not amused…

Ah must have missed that, tectonic plate collisions usually result in massive earthquakes. It’s never been the same since they let those people in from the County. The good old days when we had the Love River and the Refineries all to ourselves. Brings a tear to my eye.

It’s some number though, 2.3 million motorcycles. Suck it up people, suck it up.

…and this year Taipei 101 fireworks lasted 188 seconds. Last year they lasted 177 seconds…and on to other news…

So people in Kaohsiung don’t obey traffic signals. This isn’t news; it’s olds.

Ah must have missed that, tectonic plate collisions usually result in massive earthquakes. It’s never been the same since they let those people in from the County. The good old days when we had the Love River and the Refineries all to ourselves. Brings a tear to my eye.

It’s some number though, 2.3 million motorcycles. Suck it up people, suck it up.[/quote]

renaming the district does absolutely nothing to the numbers of motorcycles: there are exactly the same number of scooters in the same general location now, just the name of the area has changed. It’s not like there was a sudden demolition of some magic barrier and lower Kaohsiung was instantly swamped by a wave of bikes that had never been there before.

What a stooooopid excuse.

I actually prefer the wild west of driving down here, and the last thing the south needs is speed and light traps for revenue generation like they do in Canada.
It is never for safety as the police hide in trap areas where a bit of speed is not unsafe, while ignoring dangerous areas where people run the lights with no enforcement ever.

Do you really want this type of enforcement coming to a city near you? To be honest I hope the police just keep to driving around with signals flashing.

[quote=“dan2006”]I actually prefer the wild west of driving down here, and the last thing the south needs is speed and light traps for revenue generation like they do in Canada.
It is never for safety as the police hide in trap areas where a bit of speed is not unsafe, while ignoring dangerous areas where people run the lights with no enforcement ever.

Do you really want this type of enforcement coming to a city near you? To be honest I hope the police just keep to driving around with signals flashing.[/quote]

Yes That’s the way it is. If the Taiwanese wanted to reduce Traffic light accidents they could maybe reduce them by 60% instantly,by introducing a 50,000NT minimum fine and cameras at all lights. Which politician is going to do that? Far better to let accidents happen . Obviously any Government with an ounce of common sense would have better training,more enforcement re:traffic. I rest my case. This is Taiwan. :popcorn:

I think the shock is that 70% do stop. Now that would be a headline.
But at least we don’t live in nanny state where we’re continually protected from ourselves.

I think the shock is that 70% do stop. Now that would be a headline.
But at least we don’t live in nanny state where we’re continually protected from ourselves.

All 3 times I’ve been run over here in Taiwan have been at traffic lights… No, no trust in them.

Just last night there was a very dramatic accident in Kaohsiung, as a small car plunged over a series of scooters at a red light and crashed against a photo shop. 6 hurt, one seriously with a broken leg. Rather lucky, could have been worse, me thinks.

At least here you have traffic lights.

[quote=“StuartCa”]I think the shock is that 70% do stop. Now that would be a headline.
But at least we don’t live in nanny state where we’re continually protected from ourselves.[/quote]

I find this attitude honestly unfathomable. You really think the traffic conditions here represent libertarian style freedom? I think to most people it represents a government ignoring its responsibilities.

I just want to be able to cross the street safely with my family, it’s not a big ask.

My take is that while inconvenient to have to wait for all the red light runners to clear before I proceed, no one blows a gasket if you are a few seconds late at a red light either.

The West with all its enforcement is no safer, since everyone feels they have the right of way, even if they get killed in the process trying to enforce their rights. In Taiwan I know I have no rights, and I drive accordingly.

That number is about 30% here in Chiayi. I am not joking in the least. :thumbsdown:

[quote=“Mucha Man”][quote=“StuartCa”]I think the shock is that 70% do stop. Now that would be a headline.
But at least we don’t live in nanny state where we’re continually protected from ourselves.[/quote]

I find this attitude honestly unfathomable. You really think the traffic conditions here represent libertarian style freedom? I think to most people it represents a government ignoring its responsibilities.[/quote]

I think that it’s good that we live in a society that isn’t obsessed with preventing us from doing everything and that there are freedoms. Of course if you jump a red and cause injury or damage then the law should come down like a ton of bricks, the problem is that the law does very little even in the case of an accident. When I was hit by a red light jumper he didn’t look especially concerned at having to go to a police station.

Well, we live in a society where 50% of universities prohibit students from taking place in public protests and have nightly curfews. Many companies and government agencies do the same. We live in a society that has mandatory conscription (though this is being phased out), where you need police permits to enter the mountains, and where the government monitors your health visits to make sure you are not abusing the system. We live in a society where public insultment laws exist, where libel and slander are a criminal offense, and where everyone must notify the police when you move house.

Big nanny (and brother) is alive and well.

It is much safer in the west. Honestly, you don’t have the right to the “freedom” of endangering other people’s lives. Do whatever you want to do so long as you don’t endanger other people’s lives. List of activities that endanger other people’s lives: blindly running a red light, riding the wrong way down a street(honestly NEVER seen that happen in America), turning right on a red without stopping, etc…Oh wait, that’s how the Taiwanese with their “freedom” drive.

Yes, honestly, I would love if the Taiwanese police started cracking down on traffic violations.