Taipei Times: We don't want no foreigners working for us!

Is this still legal in 2010 ?

[quote]The Taipei Times is looking for the following talented people

News Reporter

* Excellent command of both oral and written English and Chinese
* College graduate
* Experience in news-gathering preferred
* [b]Open to R.O.C. nationals only[/b]
* Knowledge of Taiwan's political scene [/quote] [taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs](http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs)

That’s right! All they ever do is complain and cause problems.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Is this still legal in 2010 ?

News Reporter

* College graduate
* Knowledge of Taiwan's political scene [/quote] [taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs](http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs)[/quote]

Yeah, I think the ROC’s laws against discrimination apply only to ROC citizens.

Satellite TV should apply.

[quote=“urodacus”]Satellite TV should apply.[/quote]But isn’t Satellite TV a white guy? How could he possibly qualify?

Yeah it couldn’t happen. Isn’t he from Bhutan or some such?

Time to quit readin’ TT … strike … they don’t need foreign readers anyways …

Yeah it couldn’t happen. Isn’t he from Bhutan or some such?[/quote]

I know he lurks around my area … looks foreign to me … big, white, beer belly … shorts with socks …

He’d probably write story after story about how he shows his ROC passport to disbelieving ABCs. :smiley: Even for Taipei Times calibre of articles, that would get repetitive pretty quickly. :laughing:

He’d probably write story after story about how he shows his ROC passport to disbelieving ABCs. :smiley: Even for Taipei Times calibre of articles, that would get repetitive pretty quickly. :laughing:[/quote]

:roflmao:

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Time to quit readin’ TT … strike … they don’t need foreign readers anyways …[/quote] That’s a good idea. :thumbsup:

Satellite TV is a great lover! Trust me.

Some friends of mine complain about the errors in TT and CP. They are pretty frequent. I don’t as much but wonder why the don’t do more to fix them. Ahh, well…native speakers could help.

Taiwanese also tell me how open minded they are towards others?
I can tell when I see these ads:
Open to R.O.C. nationals only
Under 35 to be considered
Caucasian only

:popcorn:
Oh well.

I would hazard a guess that they’ve used up their work permit quota. Simple as that, probably.
However, I’m not one to pass up the opportunity to rail against a shitty arsewipe of a rag, so there you go. :thumbsup:

You went and ruined our strike! :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]I would hazard a guess that they’ve used up their work permit quota. Simple as that, probably.[/quote]Not all non-citizens need a work permit. So instead of requiring someone to have work rights, they resort to xenophobic discrimination.

Its a mouthpiece for the DPP, Fluffster. What did you expect? :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]Its a mouthpiece for the DPP, Fluffster. What did you expect? :laughing:[/quote]Internationally accepted standards.

(I’m being sarky)

And here I thought we had made a huge breakthrough – it is no longer considered enough to specify that you need to be good in both English and Chinese to have people know that you’re talking about an ROC national, not a foreigner…

Perhaps the pay sucks… :whistle:

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Is this still legal in 2010 ?

News Reporter

* College graduate
* Knowledge of Taiwan's political scene [/quote] [taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs](http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/Jobs)[/quote]

There are many types of jobs back home that are also reserved for citizens, apart from the obvious government sector. And I know that several western countries don’t allow foreigners to be hired for a job unless it can be shown that a citizen couldn’t be found to fill the position. :2cents: