Taipei to phase out free curbside parking for scooters

Can’t wait to see how they do this, and how people complain.

I didn’t know they were free. Maybe convert some of them into charging station or battery stations and allow electric scooters.

2 Likes

another one of those i’ll believe it when i see it news story’s…

4 Likes

Uh-oh, have these politicians considered the likely effect on their re-elections?

The big question is: will it be enforced? They certainly don’t enforce it with cars. Ok, there are those little meter maids zooming around making sure everyone who is legally parked pays, but what about all the illegally parked cars that rarely get tickets or are towed away? I’m looking forward to the change in ARC/APRC numbers so we can start using the police app that lets you send in pictures of illegally parked cars who they then send a ticket to.

Except they’re thinking of still having the ARC numbers segmented, not with a letter, but a completely different number for us lowly foreigners.

2 Likes

But, my understanding is that we will then be able to use our number to register for what ever things we need to since there will be the same amount of digits.

But there is an algorithm to these numbers as well. similar to the Social Insurance Number in Canada.

The computer is expecting a certain type of number that fits in with the rules, and unless the rules are updated, it will continue to be unrecognised.

Oh, common! Stop being so negative. Just because this is Taiwan, doesn’t mean they’re going to fuck this up. We’re almost into the new year. Good things are supposed to happen (I hope).

That’s not being negative. I’m just telling you what’s going on. The news said they will give the number for foreigners to be a 7/8/9 after the letter.

It’s right here from @fifieldt’s post it was already discussed.

MoI is planning to change the ID Number format

I was being sarcastic.

Hmmm… for a city that just recently figured out how to make a ‘semi-level’ sidewalk - this seems to be a VERY daunting task!!

Although, if they eliminate sidewalk parking it would open up more room for bike drivers to hit more pedestrians on sidewalks…

Whoops, correction - this proposed policy has to do with ‘curbside’ parking - nothing mentioned about ‘sidewalk’ parking…

2 Likes

Dr. Ko should just go hard-core and make the whole city just one big fat Fussgaengerzone.

2 Likes

bout time they did this, blight on our fair city

Yup all its going to do is inconvenience everyone that has to notify all their banks, phone companies, hospital and doctors clinics etc. Of the new number.
Which still doesn’t pass the algorithm.

2 Likes

Its a horrible idea until the mrt can be made more robust. As it is people are crammed in like sardines, i cant imagine how much it will suck when all the scooter riders convert over

Scooters be crowding sidewalks even more so they can avoid curbside parking fees.

1 Like

You do realize that Taipei is known internationally as the “Ugly Duckling of Asia”!
About time the locals wake up and do something about it!

1 Like

Did we all become rich even if we haven’t noticed yet?

They should give them the power to fine others that are not parked legally. It’s a kind of crazy system, you park legally and need to pay, park at no-parking zones and go free because almost no one enforces it.

2 Likes