Taipei Travel Tips

I’m gonna piggyback on this thread as I didn’t see the purpose in starting a new one, I’m gonna spend a weekend essentially alone in Taipei in a few weeks (I say essentially because my wife’s cousin is going to show me around and hit a bar or club with me) but I’ll be staying in the hotel alone and heading up from Taichung on my own. This is basically my 1st solo trip in Taiwan because my wife is staying home in the states.

I’m only familiar with Danshui as that is where we stayed the last time and I really liked it but I’m looking to maybe do something that’s a little closer to the city as my wife’s cousin lives on the opposite side of the city so I don’t want to waste hours on the rail. An suggestions as to where to stay? She sent me a link to the Grand Hyatt which is very nice but a little more then what I’m looking to spend. I’m looking at about 50- 70 dollars US a night for my budget but I don’t wanna stay in a dump either. Is this realistic?

Now I’m 32 and my wife’s cousin is 38 but she is quite attractive but not much of a partier, I told her I wanted to experience a Taipei nightclub but I don’t want to walk into a place and be 10 years older then most people in there. Do places exist where there would be an older crowd but still plays American music? What is the dress code normally like in these places? I know here in the states it’s usually dress to impress but it’s so hot in May that I wasn’t planning on bringing dressy stuff, hopefully I can get by with shorts and a collared shirt.

Last time I was in Taipei we did 101, CSK Memorial, Bali, National Museum, Snake Alley, the temple near snake alley that’s name is escaping me, Danshui and the fisherman’s wharf near Danshui. Any suggestions on what things to do . I’m sure my tour guide will have some things but if she say’s what do I want to see what would be considered as “must see” for an American in Taipei?

You say your cousin lives on the “opposite side of the city”: where? Muzha? Xindian?

I’d recommend taking the Maokong Gondola to Maokong, and perhaps hiking/exploring in the area, and enjoying one of the teahouses up there.

Or a visit to Wulai for hiking, exploring and trying Aboriginal food.

I would start a new thread on nightlife as your request is quite specific.

As for things to do in Taipei, in addition to what Chris said, I would rent a bike and ride the riverpaths. Very nice.

Hotels. Easily find a place for that budget. Pick up a guidebook or look at one of the webbased hotel booking sites.

This is a list of hotels that the Taipei City Government awarded honors to for excellent service in English. Some of them will fit your budget (Google to find their websites)

Palais de Chine Hotel, Royal Biz Taipei, The Riviera Hotel, Capital Hotel Taipei, Hotel Eclat Taipei, Golden Palace Hotel
Yomi Hotel, City Suites, City Lake Hotel, Ambience Hotel, Taipei Wish Hotel, Hotel 73, Tokyo International Hotel, Forward Hotel Taipei, Hotel 8 Zone, CityInn Hotel, Dandy Hotel (Tianjin Branch)

For information about nightlife you can try www.waakao.com

[quote=“Chris”]You say your cousin lives on the “opposite side of the city”: where? Muzha? Xindian?

I’d recommend taking the Maokong Gondola to Maokong, and perhaps hiking/exploring in the area, and enjoying one of the teahouses up there.

Or a visit to Wulai for hiking, exploring and trying Aboriginal food.[/quote]

I don’t know exactly where she on the east side of Taipei. She suggested staying near the Grand Hyatt because she’s not far from there. She said lots of things for an American guy to do and see in that area. I wouldn’t mind going back to Taipei 101 but not to go back to the top but for that foodcourt!!! I think I’m gonna look in Zhongshan. Any recommendations?

I’d like to do the Gondola and I’m still trying to find a club to hit up so I may venture into another thread to do that.