Taipei vs. London

Great Forum!

London (income 2600GBP/month after tax) vs. Taipei (income 99000NTD/month after tax)

Would love to hear people’s opinions on which of the two offer
the best quality of life (for someone (single) in his early thirties).

Currently living in Brussels, and have never lived in either Taipei nor London, so I am
seeking some clues on what might be best from people who have experience living in either cities.

salute!

Haven’t lived in London but if it’s anything like New York (I hear London is more expensive) the Taipei option is the one I’d take based on those numbers.

[quote=“Gnarli7”]Great Forum!

London (income 2600GBP/month after tax) vs. Taipei (income 99000NTD/month after tax)

the best quality of life (for someone (single) in his early thirties).

Currently living in Brussels, and have never lived in either Taipei nor London, so I am
seeking some clues on what might be best from people who have experience living in either cities.

salute![/quote]
I think there would be quite a few things to consider.
Which job you prefer?
Rent in London maybe 30-40% more.
Food/Drink probably similar costs… if sensible!.
If you are single and looking for a girlfriend… Taipei,no question.
If you like reasonably well organised,efficient,common sense society(most of the time) London maybe. :ponder:
Unless you speak Mandarin,if you are alone,language difficulties may prove a little hard in Taipei.
Worth spending time in both places…plus and minus points for both but very different lifestyles.

300-400% more might be nearer the mark !

300-400% more might be nearer the mark ![/quote]
Wow PGD,where are you living? :astonished: I am probably low with London rent ,i agree but 500GBP a month would get a bedsit in a seedy area (no different to most of Taipei !) and unless you go really cheap i thought a place in Taipei would cost at least 300GBP?(around 15000NTD) ?

Different cultures, location, weathers, income activities, too many parameters on this one, apples vs oranges.

They do have alot in common… sucky winters of rain, rain, and rain.

London’s a big place, but then so is Taipei. If you’re on nearly NT$100,000, though, you’ll have A LOT more disposable income living in Taipei. Transportation and eating out are a lot cheaper. As to not speaking Mandarin, well, there are people who have lived in Taipei for years without learning Mandarin. There are always ways of getting around the problem, and learning enough Mandarin to survive isn’t that hard anyway. I grew up in London and have had many trips back there since. Taipei is a much nicer place in my experience.

London is much more diverse in terms of population and there are more things to do. Going to London from Brussels is really not a big deal.

Taipei and Taiwan and Asia can be exciting if you would like to really push yourself out there and try a different culture and language etc. That pay level in Taipei is really good, London is very expensive compared to Taipei due to higher rent and transport costs in London.

You will be poor in London and very comfortable in Taipei.

[quote=“Gnarli7”]London (income 2600GBP/month after tax) vs. Taipei (income 99000NTD/month after tax)
the best quality of life (for someone (single) in his early thirties).[/quote]
Taipei. No contest. Not even close. You could live large on 99K here, even if you’re saving half of it. 2600/mo in London will pay for your rent and one night out a week. Incidentally, are you sure your tax calculation is correct? Tax here is MUCH lower than the UK, even at that income level.

London is an awesome place if you have money. Otherwise, it’s pretty hard going. Based on your numbers, Taipei, definitely. With those numbers, provided you have the time, you could be all over Asia and still save money. Actually, even with only weekends off you could still be all over Asia. Definitely way more bang for your buck here.

Taipei. Today. I mean right now, as it’s a sunny warm dry winter day and that isn’t gong to happen again for a while.

Like others said, you will get a lot more from your money in Taipei. It’s an easy going place to live (Asia light as HHII calls it), with a high standard of living compared to the costs. If you have any interest in Asia there are 3 low cost carriers now flying out of Taipei to Malaysia, Japan and the Philippines very cheaply.

With a high income (2600 take home isn’t), London without a doubt.

On 99k definitely Taipei. Taipei wins hands down for cost of living, women, and crime. London wins in every other aspect.

[quote=“tomthorne”]With a high income (2600 take home isn’t), London without a doubt.

On 99k definitely Taipei. Taipei wins hands down for cost of living, women, and crime. London wins in every other aspect.[/quote]
:popcorn:
Also Cars,Motorbikes and spoons are half price in the UK :popcorn:

[quote=“shiadoa”][quote=“tomthorne”]With a high income (2600 take home isn’t), London without a doubt.

On 99k definitely Taipei. Taipei wins hands down for cost of living, women, and crime. London wins in every other aspect.[/quote]
:popcorn:
Also Cars,Motorbikes and spoons are half price in the UK :popcorn:[/quote]

You can get good deals on spoons from other expats leaving Taiwan.

I’m going to go against the grain here and say London has better women. Certainly not in terms of quantity, but in terms of variety. Taiwan is a one trick pony. Shiiiiiiiiiiiit though, look at some of the Polish, French or Brazilian women in London. There are even some damn nice local public school girls. You won’t find many of any of those in Taiwan, and you’ll even find some fine Asian (not just East Asian either) women in London.

For good or gooder, bad or badder Taipei and Taiwan and Asia is going to be a much larger adventure for you then London. IT can and most likely will be life changing and mind altering.

If you intend to live and broaden your mind, you should pick Taiwan. Given what you have to play with.

It will be like holding your breath and diving straight into a cold pool of water, in the deep end.

And you may never come back up, because Taiwan will suck you in and hold you down underwater and let back up just for a breath of air (maybe).

Better learn to swim. It may be Asia LIght. But If you go past three years, it could turn into 30.

You have been warned ! Here be Dragons !

I love London. I adore it. My heart and soul are there.

But on that money…you’ll be reasonably comfortable in London if you live sensibly. You’ll be frigging rolling in cash in Taipei if you live relatively stupidly.

So Taipei. Hell, on that money you can afford to fly to London for a weekend once a bloody month, if that’s what you wanted.

London is a beautiful city and Taipei is rather…not…but as I like to say, one of the best things about Taipei is how easy it is to leave Taipei. It’s surrounded by GREAT places. And has really cheap flights to most of Asia. Plus the people are nicer, though you may find that they tend to make less sense (Chinese culture is not renowned for its logical thinking).

300-400% more might be nearer the mark ![/quote]
Wow PGD,where are you living? :astonished: I am probably low with London rent ,I agree but 500GBP a month would get a bedsit in a seedy area (no different to most of Taipei !) and unless you go really cheap i thought a place in Taipei would cost at least 300GBP?(around 15000NTD) ?[/quote]

Are you saying all of Taipei is ‘seedy’? :wink: If you wanted a bedsit in an actual seedy area of ‘New Taipei’ you could probably find a small crappy roof room for 6000 NT … so ya over 400% more in London. For 500 pounds or 23,000 NT you could get a roomy solo pad in central Taipei…and if you can tolerate flatmates you could get a fine place for a third of that or less.