Taiwan 13th Smartest in World, 4th in IQ

Yes. I’ve studies countries like Nigeria with different groups like the Igbo and how it plays into the politics being lumped in one country. It’s however not genius level thinking to predict those closest to each other from human migration would be more similar.

So no. You’re not a geneticist. But you’re calling me out for not being one…what?

Human evolutionary history is very complex.
You probably would find it very interesting if you havent read about it before.
Since I graduated new discoveries about species such as Denisovans and Neanderthal interbreeding with Homo Sapiens shocked me. Denisovans are only known from a couple of teeth and finger bones. That’s it ! It’s pretty amazing and it just illustrates that we didn’t know a whole lot to be honest.

What conclusions?

I’m saying what observations are made.

There is a bell curve of IQ amongst different ethnic groups.

IQ is the best predictor of success we can measure.

How do we proceed? Ignore the finding because it’s unfortunate and some people might use it for racism BS. Or talk about why and how we can improve things.

1 Like

Hehehe. I’m not into laying my whole life and identity out on the internet. Let’s just say I have a great background in the area.

It’s like this.
Take those same random Africans give them the same nutrition and schooling over three generations as a given European or Asian population that they are being compared with. Now measure their grandkids IQ levels. You need to give it a few generations because of the effect of nutrition on genetic fingerprinting . I’d bet there’s no discernible difference with the general population.

You can’t do that though cos it would be unethical.

I’m not saying we know everything. We don’t know why and we find the answers. Not avoid it. Wouldn’t you agree at least there are group differences for something like height.

I never denied environmental factors btw. I said it does play a role I believe.

I remember when I went to school with some kids from poorer backgrounds. They were literally smaller than the farmers kids or the middle class kids. Nutritional deficiency has a huge impact.

And I agree. We are nearly a foot taller than the average human just a few hundred years ago. But isn’t there a genetic limit so to say.

For example. Have you ever looked into myostatin? We literally have genes that control how muscular we can be. Animals have different levels, that’s why some animals can be so huge eating grass like horses. We’ve been looking at myostatin inhibitors to see if we can make freakishly big humans to curing muscle wasting diseases.

I think its probably not so much genetics as it is Cultural values a country or ethnicity perpetuates. Like those cultures that value high levels education, hard work and punctuality vs a victum mindset tend to produce children with a higher IQ and be more productive and wealthier. Also how the population of that country accepts or hates corruption. Cultural values can change which is why at one time when certain areas of Africa did well they may have had a culture that valued and fostered those things that produce wealth and science/medicine. I dont think any of that is genetic but if theres evidence Im open to seeing it, Most militaries now admit Special Forces Soliders besides being a mental challenge is genetic. Some people are just geneticallly stronger than others and stronger doesnt mean more muscles.

So character traits right? Genes play a big role in that, far bigger than we thought in some recent studies.

Yes I agree there are group difference for height. It’s not as straightforward to measure intelligence. If we could give everybody the sane nutrition, schooling , vaccines etc and then measure intelligence you start to get a much better idea.
But even then we must remember there could be a lot of variation within a group too and intelligence is polygenic (affected by hundreds of genes all adding up or taKing away). And those genes aren’t fixed in one mode. They are getting up and down regulated through generations by genetic fingerprinting (hence Dutch people continuously getting taller but not more generous over hundreds of years lol).

Finally even if we do get much better at pinpointing intelligence genes (and that is happening quickly ) we need to be super careful how we apply that knowledge. So many ways that can go wrong for us as a society.

Im thinking for an example like how Japan or Swiss or Germans value punctuality and hard work.

That’s all I’m saying. There are group differences. IQ from observations is on a bell curve. Lots of factors influence success out and outcome. Lots of influences can shape IQ. We don’t understand it, I think it’s important we talk about it. Not simply say it’s racist and avoid it. Or use it as racism and condemnation of groups.

Yes we will have to start talking about it.
But people need to stop assuming that all Africans are the same Europeans the same, or even that all subsets are automatically smarter or dumber.
But it’s definitely going to be a very big topic going forward.

Think about what happens if people start selecting for ‘intelligent traits’ and we get whole schools of borg-like Zuckerbergs with thousand yard stares and weird facial movements. :open_mouth:

In a way it’s kind of happening already. Kids of engineers and college profs have a higher chance of developing aspergers and autism. They are selecting for the traits over generations and possibly those genes are getting upregulated.

Those are character traits I would say. Wouldn’t someone with more self control be on time more and willing to put in hard work to gain something? Things like that.

I don’t think they’re all the same. There’s definitely diversity in genes from human migrations. And like I said, your chances of being the genius in a group in a bell curve is the same as being the outlier in the other way so it doesn’t mean much.

Take ethnic groups aside. Have you looked into obesity and genes? And how it seems some people are more hardwired to become obese. This changes things, I used to think it’s simply sedentary life style and lack of self control. But it seems it’s not that simple. It changes the way we can tackle the obesity problem.

I think it can be both a character trait also a cultural trait or maybe a huge % of that culture exhibit that character trait or maybe the culture values those traits so the young get indoctrinated to be efficient and work harder, and value education through their societys influence.

exactly, i would argue a person of high intelligence would go against those cultural factors that didn’t benefit them at all.

This high IQ is so obvious to see in the stunning architecture (much following the ancient highly complex science of Feng Shuei) , and the amazing road maintainence skills seen in evidence on an hourly basis. Quite outstanding…I found the motorcycle license test extremely challenging despite the locals saying it’s too easy, so no wonder the quality of the driving is also astonishing. They even made their own fighter jets that can maintain air superiority over the Taiwan straight without the need for Uncle sam’s assistance. OUTSTANDING !

1 Like

True high IQ does not = Innovation, creativity, problem solving etc. Neither does all the high test taking scores. It does make a lot of non creative engineers and obedient employees for big Corporations though and companies that like to copy and reverse engineer technology

1 Like