Taiwan #8 in world ranking of most millionaires

taiwan has more millionaires than countries with bigger populations like brazil, canada, and spain.

images.businessweek.com/ss/07/10 … ign_id=msn

But unlike millionaires in other countries, these ones still live in the hot, ugly, noisy, polluted dump that is Taiwan. Fancy shiny marble on the inside, fancy black mercedes with a driver, but they still live in a dump. Woopeee do.

holy sh*t…you’re so bitter, dude!!! geeez…

No, not bitter at all. Just stating the facts. In other countries milllionares live in homes like these.

In Taiwan they live in the same neighborhood as you and me, just fancier on the inside. Woopee do.

taiwan doesn’t have any room for those sprawling mansions so you can’t blame them for that (although i have seen some spanky nice houses up in yamingshan and other areas that are equivalent to those in some of the nicest suburbs in the u.s.a.). and if you look at the apartment buildings and townhouses that are being built around the country the architecture and amenities are constantly improving by the day.

vrhouse.com.tw/

design.vrhouse.com.tw/index.asp?Mods=Works

people in taiwan used to be very poor so they don’t know the concept of luxurious living. give them a break. over time they will be just as lavish, wasteful, ostentatious and disgusting with their big fancy homes and lifestyles as your typical western millionaire and billionaire. i’ve also often heard taiwanese don’t want to show off their wealth because not only is it immodest and against confucian principles, but they also don’t want to be robbed. sure, i can afford a mercedes but i drive my nissan because i won’t have to worry about it getting broken into whenever i park it on the street. :smiley:

I’m not critizing Taiwanese for trying to get rich, I’m just saying I’d rather live in an Aspen ski chalet or an Italian villa than a condo on Jonghsiao N. Rd.

If all you need is one million or more in assets to be in this list then that’s an easy list to get on for a lot of people. I do not see net worth (assets – debt) mentioned

Interestingly enough if you look at the number of millionaires as a percentage of the population it varies between 0.5% and 2.5% except for China where it is 0.02%. Guess that communism and distribution of wealth worked well after all

but you’re not taiwanese, so of course you wouldn’t find a reason to stay and live in taiwan. so i’m not sure what your point is.

i just posted that ranking cuz i was impressed that taiwan was ranked #8 in world’s most millionaires. that’s all, folks. no need to overanalyze. :unamused:

Thyrd -
Things are improving wealth-wise and home building/amenities wise also.

Valid point about the ‘newness’ of wealth accumulation by the other than connected populace here. Although that is still a major factor - Guangui (sp?) and all that.

In just the 3.5 years that I’ve been here I have noticed an improvement in the quality of construction being asked for, and sometimes even provided, by new home builders. One thing I’ve noticed is the more frequent use of steel girder construction rather than only reinforced concrete slab
building in residential homes.
Also I see more and more of ‘westernized’ building code work being done…albeit this is still a very small minority of the work.

I mentioned in another thread, Taiwan is an island with some beautiful coast-lines…yet I see almost no homes or restaurants built taking advantage of some very nice shoreline views. That would be a major factor anywhere else in the world.

Like they say down in Louisiana, “driving a Cadillac and living in a shack”.

I clicked through that slideshow and one constant thought kept nagging me as I looked at the pictures: are all millionaires that old and ugly? I think I’d pass on a million bucks if I had to walk around life looking like that. For once I don’t envy rich people.

Well its a fact most wealthy people are old and all old people are ugly so if I was going to be old and ugly I’d rather be RICH!!!

the proportion of wealth to age always leans towards the aged as they have had more time to accumulate the wealth

im sure people live in taiwan just to do business and vacation else wheres in mansions such as those in southeast tropical asia or china or other locales.

wealthy taiwanese live in taiwan because it’s their home country and they love it there just like citizens of any country. but many wealthy taiwanese also own homes in the u.s. like california and new york and often travel back and forth.

So, I guess they would count twice as a millionaire then, once for Taiwan and once for the US? Probably true for any dual citizen.

No, not bitter at all. Just stating the facts. In other countries milllionares live in homes like these.

In Taiwan they live in the same neighborhood as you and me, just fancier on the inside. Woopee do.[/quote]

Dude, people like that are multi-millionaires and most likely of the decamillionaire or above variety. For a million US buckaroos, all you’ll get is a 1800 sq. ft. house with no garage in San Jose.

In Taiwan they live in the same neighborhood as you and me, just fancier on the inside. Woopee do.[/quote]

Dude, people like that are multi-millionaires and most likely of the decamillionaire or above variety. For a million US buckaroos, all you’ll get is a 1800 sq. ft. house with no garage in San Jose.[/quote]

or a 900 sq. foot studio apartment in midtown manhattan.

i wonder what terry guo’s taiwan house looks like. i’m sure it’s a nice place in an affluent area. i read he bought a castle in czech republic for $30 million. i also once saw in commonwealth magazine an article about the homes of people like lien chan and other politicians and businessmen. they showed pics and the houses were big and resembled those in an affluent american suburbs except smaller property acreage. i think they were in taoyuan county or maybe near ta shee golf course.

Dude, people like that are multi-millionaires and most likely of the decamillionaire or above variety. For a million US buckaroos, all you’ll get is a 1800 sq. ft. house with no garage in San Jose.[/quote]

I wonder what terry guo’s taiwan house looks like. I’m sure it’s a nice place in an affluent area. I read he bought a castle in czech republic for $30 million. i also once saw in commonwealth magazine an article about the homes of people like lien chan and other politicians and businessmen. they showed pics and the houses were big and resembled those in an affluent American suburbs except smaller property acreage. I think they were in Taoyuan county or maybe near ta shee golf course.[/quote]

I do admire Terry for giving 460 million US dollars towards cancer research. Thats a plus in my book for the guy.

I wonder what terry guo’s taiwan house looks like. I’m sure it’s a nice place in an affluent area. I read he bought a castle in czech republic for $30 million. i also once saw in commonwealth magazine an article about the homes of people like lien chan and other politicians and businessmen. they showed pics and the houses were big and resembled those in upscale American suburbs. I think they were in Taoyuan county or maybe near ta shee golf course.[/quote]

I do admire Terry for giving 460 million US dollars towards cancer research. Thats a plus in my book for the guy.[/quote]