"Taiwan" ads pulled from Olympics

[quote]BEIJING URGED NOT TO SUPPRESS TAIWAN OVER OLYMPIC ADS
Taipei, Aug. 6 (CNA) Beijing should refrain from suppressing Taiwan’s publicity drive at the upcoming 2004 Athens Olympic Games, a senior mainland affairs official said Friday.
Mainland Affairs Council Vice Chairman Chiu Tai-shan made the call a day after the Government Information Office (GIO) said that under Beijing’s pressure, the Athens Olympics Organizing Committee has asked its advertisement contractor in Greece to remove all of Taiwan’s publicity posters from the 500 luggage carts at Athens International Airport and the exteriors of 50 of the city’s electric trams.
Chiu said mainland China’s politically motivated action against Taiwan’s non-political activities will create a backlash from the people in Taiwan and hinder civilian exchanges across the Taiwan Strait.
GIO Director-General Lin Chia-lung said the GIO has strictly followed the regulations set by the International Olympic Committee in preparing publicity posters and leaflets to be distributed in the Greek capital, including using the name “Chinese Taipei” instead of Taiwan, in order not to give any excuse for Beijing to boycott Taiwan’s publicity drive.
From CNA, edited
[/quote]Promoting Taiwan’s democratic achievements or sly pro-independence promotion?

I read about this in the newspaper this morning and it really pisses me off.
The word “Taiwan” does not appear at all- from what i’ve heard the signs have on them “中華台北-棒!棒!棒!” and “Chinese Taipei” in English.

The olympic committee allowed the ads in first place so why can’t China just mind it’s own business and stop butting into stuff like this.

[quote=“archangel-x”]I read about this in the newspaper this morning and it really pisses me off.
The word “Taiwan” does not appear at all- from what I’ve heard the signs have on them “中華台北-棒!棒!棒!” and “Chinese Taipei” in English.

The olympic committee allowed the ads in first place so why can’t China just mind it’s own business and stop butting into stuff like this.[/quote]
The real question should be - why do countries that support freedom bow to Chinese pressure? Purely greed, IMHO.

[quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“archangel-x”]I read about this in the newspaper this morning and it really pisses me off.
The word “Taiwan” does not appear at all- from what I’ve heard the signs have on them “中華台北-棒!棒!棒!” and “Chinese Taipei” in English.

The olympic committee allowed the ads in first place so why can’t China just mind it’s own business and stop butting into stuff like this.[/quote]
The real question should be - why do countries that support freedom bow to Chinese pressure? Purely greed, IMHO.[/quote]

It’s a guanxi related thing everytime something related happens to china. Basically it’s the big bully on the school yard. So who wants to rumble.

[quote=“sticks of fury”][quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“archangel-x”]I read about this in the newspaper this morning and it really pisses me off.
The word “Taiwan” does not appear at all- from what I’ve heard the signs have on them "

This sort of thing just advances the independence cause at home.

PS. We better get our money back.

Sorry, but did they really think, that China would allow such a spot??!!! How much money did they waste on it again? I heard it was really expensive and I’m happy that I don’t pay tax here!

I hope we get a refund. I mean really do you know how many starving children could have been fed on Taiwan for the price of those ads. I mean we might have even been able to save up on a down payment for a USA attack submarine made in Greece.

AC:

Is this the kind of soft position from Beijing towards Taiwan that you meant? Seems a bit loony to most people.

Even if China keeps thwarting Taiwan’s effort, TW should keep trying. Otherwise China wins by default.

Are we so desperate that even airport ads are that important to waste our energy on?

To re-phrase are we that political weak that we cannot even get an airport ad up.

ac_dropout:

Are you speaking from a PRC point of view?

Perhaps you should be asking Beijing this question.

What is the purpose of our Government in ROC…airport ads in a foriegn country.

Could not the resources used to create and pay for the ads been put to better use in Taiwan?

Oh god, please no! Made in Greece? Did you see how long it took them to get their stuff together for the olympics? I wouldn’t even trust them to build a dingy, much less a submarine.

Money talks – the reminbi talks louder than the NTD.

ac_dropout:

Not to promote the image of Taiwan in the international community.

Has anyone seen an image of the ads? I would like to know what was really in them, and not through hearsay.

thank goodness they pulled the ads. i’d hate for people in other countries to actually start calling taiwan “chinese taipei”. :stuck_out_tongue: on a sports-related theme, the taiwanese team is back in the little league world series. i believe the official name is “chinese taipei” as well, but everyone here just refers to them as taiwan.