Taiwan aint' no turd!

Obamamessiah’s new intelligence head defends his comments on Taiwan.

[quote][b]US’ Blair defends ‘turd’ comment, Taiwan record[/b]

By William Lowther
STAFF REPORTER IN WASHINGTON
Sunday, Feb 01, 2009, Page 2

Admiral Dennis Blair, whom US President Barack Obama has chosen to be the US’ next director of national intelligence, is vigorously defending his record on Taiwan.

As head of Pacific Command from 1999 to 2002, Blair was head of the US official delegation that observed Taiwan’s Han Kuang series of military exercises and has a reputation for supporting Taiwan independence.

But following his confirmation hearings in the US Senate last week, Blair was challenged by Republican Senator Christopher Bond to answer a question in writing “for the record.”

Bond wrote to Blair: “A number of negative comments about United States policy toward Taiwan have been attributed to you in the past — I believe at one time, you referred to Taiwan as the ‘turd in the punchbowl of US-China relations.’”

The senator said that Blair was on the record as saying that the Taiwan Relations Act was great.

“So,” Bond said, “what is your view on US policy towards Taiwan?”

In a written reply just made public, Blair said: “It is absolutely incorrect that I ever referred to Taiwan itself as the ‘turd in the punchbowl of US-China relations.’ Whoever gave this account to the press was maliciously attempting to portray me as a supporter of China at the expense of Taiwan.

“I did in fact use the too-colorful phrase ‘tossing a turd in the punchbowl’ in a closed meeting in 2000, but the phrase referred to a specific action by a former Taiwanese government official that had been taken without consulting the United States and had caused a confrontation with Washington and the Chicoms.”

“I have never made negative comments about the United States policy towards Taiwan in the past. I have stated opinions about statements,” he said.

Blair’s office refused to comment further.

The admiral is expected to be confirmed soon. [/quote]

Interesting choice.

HG

His explanation has the ring of truth. The rest of his answer to “what is your view on US policy towards Taiwan?” might be interesting, though I’m sure there wouldn’t be any surprises.

:roflmao:
Just when you think it’s impossible for CSB’s political capital to plummet any lower he is retroactively called the “turd in the punch bowl of US-China relations” by the Obama administration…

I believe that comment by Dennis Blair was made in 1999. Before Chen was voted in as President.

[quote] In a Senate meeting in 1999, Blair told staffers that “Taiwan is the turd in the punch bowl of U.S.-China relations.” Then he said if Taiwan were to declare itself an independent nation, “I don’t think we should support them at all.” [/quote] wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.pr … ageId=9803

Well then the question becomes who got their dates right, Paul Sperry of the WorldNetDaily or Admiral Dennis Blair, the guy who actually said it… "…specific action by a former Taiwanese government official that had been taken without consulting the United States and had caused a confrontation with Washington and the Chicoms.” seems far more likely to be post CSB than pre CSB, but even if the quote were circa 1999, CSB did a lot of blow hard TI rabble rousing in the lead up to the 2000 elections that displeased both Washington and Beijing, so the “turd” still seems most likely to be in reference to CSB…

It should be noted that Blair never denied that Taiwan is a turd. He simply stated that, “It is absolutely incorrect that I ever referred to Taiwan" as a turd.

Blair is recalling events in a meeting 13 years after the fact. WND is correct as 1999 was the year was when Lee Teng Hui made his “state to state” announcement regarding cross strait relations (oh for the days when men with balls ruled Taiwan). This is almost certainly the event in question. Nothing happened in 2000 to warrant such disapproval by the US gov. Rabble rousing? Are you joking?

In any case, the proof is here. Hint, check the date of the article.

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m … 54228/pg_6

Still, he never denied that Taiwan is a turd, did he? Hmmm. . . . :ponder:

Sincerely, the “turd” comment does not bother me as much as the “punchbowl” reference to US-China relations. Yep, keep drinking from that fountain and you’ll see what you’ll get…

[quote=“plasmatron”]

Well then the question becomes who got their dates right, Paul Sperry of the WorldNetDaily or Admiral Dennis Blair, the guy who actually said it… "…specific action by a former Taiwanese government official that had been taken without consulting the United States and had caused a confrontation with Washington and the Chicoms.” seems far more likely to be post CSB than pre CSB, but even if the quote were circa 1999, CSB did a lot of blow hard TI rabble rousing in the lead up to the 2000 elections that displeased both Washington and Beijing, so the “turd” still seems most likely to be in reference to CSB…[/quote]

Be it CSB, LDH or any other set of initials, according to his explanation he did not refer to any nation or any person as a turd. He was referring to a political act as “tossing a turd in the punchbowl.”

turd in a punchbowl or storm in a teacup? maybe making a mountain out of a molehill, or even a bully in a china shop.

The cliches are coming, thick and fast!

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since the comment was made, With Ma in power, the US is not put in the position of deciding if comments or actions made by Taiwan are moves towards independence, since he wont make any.

Nice one, Uro!

Nice one, Uro![/quote]

Yeah I liked that one too.

Well I’ve seen many things float to the top of many a Chinese dish and I wouldn’t be in the least surprised if one day a turd floated topside. I’d just push it aside with me chop sticks and dig in after the sheep’s eyes.

“Oh, you want turtle soup. Eh, Ama, adoga wants TURTLE soup!”

:fume:

I see no similarities at all:

SCNR :blush: