Arrival - Taiwan allows $10000 US or $100000 TWD to enter without declaring

How much cash can bring to Taiwan
Taiwan allows travellers bring U$3,000 (NT $ 100,000) cash.
How many days can last a traveller with that budget before withdraw money from an ATM?

Of course you’re welcome to bring in more than this amount. You simply need to declare it and explain its purpose.

Guy

1 Like

It used to be $10,000USD. Not sure why it was changed. Over the years I have routinely brought in more cash than that as well as other items that can be considered declarable upon entry. And I’ve watched as Japanese people have brought in way more than $10,000 and were getting it transferred into nt$ Pretty much in front of customs checkpoint.

1 Like

You’ve had a pretty intimate look at other people’s banking!

How close do you need to stand to see those exact amounts?

Guy

I would say it depends.

For example, how much you spend on food. Some places are expensive.

Other options less so.

It’s the same with accommodation. Some places are quite pricey.

Other places are more budget.

But eventually you’ll have to go to the ATM.

Also, this isn’t Instagram. You don’t need to post a picture with each

question.

13 Likes

It is 10k USD and 100k NTD. Doesn’t make sense to me. Perhaps others understand why this is?

back in the day i had 28K a month and lived comfortably enough. adjusting for inflation i’d say 100K ntd will allow 2 months of comfortable travel.

You can see the machine counting the money at a lot of places.

He’s converted you. Soon the whole forum will be one of those stories you have to click through 20 ad-riddled pages to read the conclusion.

2 Likes

Depends on the currency.

From https://etaipei.customs.gov.tw/singlehtml/3396?cntId=606e132c5da64fa4b4e857228675b2a7

1 Like

It seems you’re using an ad blocker.

Please disable your ad blocker then click here to keep reading this story.

Yeah.

2 Likes

Many countries have restrictions on how much of the local currency may be exported/imported.

If you are bringing USD then it does not apply (it would be 10,000 then).

Few will bring in a ton of NTD into Taiwan because getting it changed overseas is not only expensive but the rate is really bad. Change it in Taiwan at the bank of Taiwan counter and you get market rate with no fees.

Very helpful. Thank you.

Guy

Ther was this one couple that were converting yen to nt. Even my partner was stunned at how much they were converting. One of the things you don’t really see anymore is people loading up crates with cartons of cigarettes. Which is weird as cigarettes now cost almost 3 times as much as they used to. Apparently I’ve excellent long sight vision so no need to stand really close.

We’re used to cash in Japan. It’s ridiculous, I’ve been required, and more than once, to bring cash to sign the contract when renting a new place, which can be up to 8 months in advance. And they count it in front of you, and everyone else, bill by bill.

Happens in companies in front of everyone in the office as well, not uncommon. “Smith-san, your bonus.” I’ve a friend who is mortified by this often.

Try walking around with 800,000 yen in plain sight anywhere else.

Oh, wait…

2 Likes

For better or for worse, that’s worth a lot less than it used to. :neutral_face:

Guy

1 Like

Well to be fair crime is really low in Japan and so being mugged is probably something that very rarely happens. They likely count it in front of everyone for legal reasons, to tell everyone that they have received the deposit, or for your boss to demonstrate that you received the bonus.

1 Like

It’s still $10000 US.

1 Like

No they don’t.

This is the pitfall of people unable to untie themselves from US Dollars despite living in Taiwan.

$10000 US.

$100000 TWD.

They are not the same.

1 Like

The title of this thread made me think that you have to get an entry permit for Taiwan now. And it costs 3 grand.