Taiwan announces 8 public venues where mask-wearing is compulsory

Schools

Places of worship

Medical and health facilities

Public transports

Venues of entertainment (KTVs, sports centers, nightclubs, bars, amusement parks)

Cinemas and concerts

Markets (night markets, shopping malls, farmers markets)

Large social events

6 Likes

Shiba CEO reminds us.

5 Likes

I went to the Market here in Yingge this morning, put on the mask before I got there - and would have been among the 5% that were wearing them.

1 Like

Yeah there’s no regulatory basis behind this right now. They can’t force you to wear the mask unless the venue itself puts the rule in place.

Same here. Went to a Louisa coffee shop today in the morning, got the last free seat and was the only one wearing a mask (apart from the staff).

1 Like

Cafes aren’t on the list…

1 Like

I count it as a learning place :slight_smile: Since most people hang around all day.

1 Like

Or a place of worship…

1 Like

Basilica in Kaohsiung has about 95% people wearing masks for long time.
You enter church and volunteer sprays your hands.
You line up for Eucharist and volunteers spray your hands again. Priests and lectors conduct mass with masks on.

2 Likes

What about Costco/Carrefour?

I know Carrefour was real particular about masks for a time, Costco tells you but doesn’t make you.

Well…it’s a cafe, where people are drinking and eating, typically using their mouths. It’s kind of common sense that if you consider a place sufficiently crowded/dangerous to require a mask to reduce risk, it would be better not to go there at all (or get takeaway or something).

Going to cafes is entirely optional - I think it’s a bit self-defeating to deliberately go to an optional crowded place and then sit there wearing a mask, especially when nobody else is wearing them (as your single mask has very limited effect).

1 Like

Are we living in the same country? People go there to look at their phone, read a book, sleep, talk on the phone, chat with friends and above all enjoy the AC. All while keeping no distance whatsoever.

So the solution is to not wear a mask in crowded places?

Yah, so if you’re concerned about that then it doesn’t seem like a good place to go hang out unnecessarily, does it?

No, read again, I didn’t say that - the solution is to avoid crowded places where possible, and wear masks when you need to go to them. The mask is mostly protecting others rather than the wearer, and the vast majority of the benefit comes from everyone wearing masks. Deliberately going to a crowded, enclosed place where nobody else is wearing a mask and then wearing a mask yourself is almost pointless - you get a slight amount of protection from somebody else coughing directly in your face and that’s about it.

1 Like

Banks seem to be more serious than other places. Yet, not required…

Personaly I use National library, before 12 midday, get nice seat and desk to lay your tired head on.
Seating distance has was removed last week.
Would like to say no refreshements need to be bought and paid for, however this is Taiwan so doesn’t apply in Café either.

Early yesterday (Friday) morning (like 2 am), as I am wont to do, decided to pick up an unhealthy meal from the always-open nearby joint. For some reason, the 外勞 were packed into the restaurant (full table of over ten). Audibly simultaneously coughing their lungs out and laughing in what was either mockery or legitimate illness. Loudest table I’ve ever heard, including drunks. Savages!

Is there an “F” for this poor, overworked, xenophobe?

Not many. No social distancing at my branches.

Glad they put night markets in the list. I was at Lehua Night Market last week and only about 20% of the people were wearing masks. I wore mine.

So how do you eat and drink? Through a straw hole in the mask ?

So that’s why- I’m mostly retired now; only teach on weekends. Walked into my buxiban and everybody was wearing masks, last weekend none. A lot of the kids didn’t bring them and had to be supplied by the school.