Taiwan ARC criminal record check

I’ll save you having to read through the whole thing. She posted that she did get the work permit, because her criminal record check came back clear, despite having being arrested for a DUI.

No I’m talking about cozzafrenzy’s post saying that they are allowing people who have DUI and misdemeanors to obtain ARC’s.

If you’re getting an FBI check, a non-expunged DUI conviction WILL show up. Whether or not Taiwanese immigration considers it an obstacle to getting approved for an ARC is another matter.

I remember she wrote her DUI conviction was not recorded.

How is that possible? Convictions are entered into a database. I don’t see how it wouldn’t get reported unless she got it expunged or voided.

Somehow, her conviction was not entered in the database.

Hi jro,

G’day! I’m in Taiwan and searching for English teaching position here now. Hopefully can speed up the process for work permit application once I got a job. I’m going to get a National Police Certificate (Australia) from www.afp.gov.au, but there are different type of NPC, May I kindly ask you which one should be? did you get the one with fingerprint?
please see below:

The fees for National Police Checks and related services are:

$42.00 for each National Police Check application from a government department or an individual.
$42.00 for each National Police Check application from a non-government organisation (eg: commercial entities like brokers, migration agents etc)
$42.00 for each National Police Check application (Company check)
$139.00 for a fingerprint and National Police Check application, where fingerprints are taken and processed by the AFP.
$99.00 for a fingerprint and National Police Check application where fingerprints are supplied to the AFP on application.

For apply work permit, do I need a hard copy of National Police Cert. hard copy post from Australia? or can use the print out from email which sent from AFP department?

Please kindly advise. Thank you very much.
Kind Regards,
Lily

Call Taiwan rep. office in Australia for most accurate info.

1 Like

Hey, thank you so much for taking the time to come back and comment here. I’m sure there are many others like me, who find threads like these and wonder how much of it is still current and accurate. I’m in a similar boat (almost literally, ha ha). I’m on an overnight ferry tomorrow from Xiamen to Keelung, hoping to find a teaching job in Taipei. Fingers crossed!

A year completed at a major chain buxiban. Had my work permit and ARC approved whilst I presented a criminal record check with a drink driving conviction (that school seemed to brush it off as no big deal despite their website policy of wanting clean criminal background checks).

Will start at a new company in December. They want the home country criminal record check again for their ARC. Got scrutinised in the interview about that DUI by the company owner. So I hope I can still get the ARC with minimal issue.

1 Like

It really depends on the employer and how willing they are to look past it. Just because your last employer didn’t care, doesn’t mean this one won’t. So you have to be prepared to argue your case. It’d help if you could make your case (a) that it was a long time ago, (b) that you’ve stopped or seriously cut down on your drinking (but stopped is best) so this never happens again, and (c ) you learned some important life lessons or insights from the experience that you’re prepared to discuss.

2 Likes

Hey @Azlan, just wondering what happened with your latest application.

It was approved.
Minor offences like DUI and other alcoholic misdemeanours are up to the schools discretion and as long as they are happy to hire (and there’s no sex offence or offence against a child involved in your crime) then the work permit will be approved.

If the school doesn’t like the DUI it is probably worth trying other schools as their care factor varies.

1 Like

Good. As long as no one was hurt or died, then you deserve a second chance (but I’m not big on third or fourth chances). Hope you learned your lesson and are enjoying life in Taiwan.

1 Like