Taiwan ARC criminal record check

So basically you are saying that your first criminal offence now compels you to commit further offences against the laws of a foreign country?

Do you not see any moral hazard in breaking Taiwanese laws and not paying tax?

It has nothing to do with limitations, but with schools complying with the relevant laws and regulations.

A clean record? You seem more like a repeat offender! Your DUI convictions seems to be the symptom of your general condition and you do not appear to have learned anything in the 6 years since 2011. Breaking the laws of a foreign country is not exactly befitting of someone with prior convictions who is looking forward to a clean criminal record.

Itā€™s a shame Taiwan is relatively lax in enforcing its immigration laws on Caucasians, but you definitely deserve a holiday in a National Immigration Agency detention center in Yilan. With your attitude you deserve it more than the poor Filipinos locked up there.

2 Likes

The problem is not only illegally working foreigners, but taiwanese schools or any other businesses illegally hiring them. Though, what is the difference between illegal mexican immigrants in US, and illegal English teachers here.

1 Like

Yeah, I love that irony as well. Americans in Taiwan who find nothing wrong with working illegally. Although it appears that most schools did reject nick0707, good!

Taking pleasure in another personā€™s misfortuneā€¦ youā€™re full of good karma.

Iā€™d be more concerned if he was a habitual offender or if his crime was violent in nature. Heā€™s obviously remorseful of a stupid one time offense (an offense that happened the better part of a decade ago). I donā€™t think itā€™s morally righteous to rub salt in the wound. But whatever makes you feel better than the poor guy I guess.

1 Like

Iā€™d be happy for him if he made Taiwan his new home and took this as an opportunity for a fresh start. Coming to a foreign country and breaking the law and not paying taxes is a moral wrong. Calling him out on his behavior has nothing to do with taking pleasure in misfortune. Nobody forced him to come to Taiwan and break the laws. Besides, his situation is not a misfortune but a consequence of breaking the law.

I wouldnā€™t call a DUI misfortune.
Rather a mistake and he has to live with the consequences. (I am not saying those consequences are fair in this situation)

2 Likes

Thatā€™s super unfortunate. The new law rules out a lot of good candidates. I spent a few hours researching this topic today and did find this information:

http://www.taipei.diplo.de/contentblob/3293494/Daten/1637435/Download_Antragsverfahren_Fuehrungszeugnis_TWN.pdf

So it looks like there might be a chance of getting the certification of good conduct, which I think is part of the issue of getting the ARC, right?

Iā€™m working on my expungement currently, it is in the process, but was informed by the public defenderā€™s office that it doesnā€™t actually remove the arrest from my record. I am going to call and get more clarification tomorrow.

How exactly does leaving every 3 months work? Do you get a new tourist visa every time you go?

I was originally looking at China and they also changed their law this last year. I wish I hadnā€™t waited an extra year to go. :confused: I would have made the cut off. Now I am worried my TEFL certification will go to waste and my dreams of moving abroad ruined. Ugh, hopefully it all works out.

And thank goodness I have looked into this before going overseas.

Most of the recruiters and people I have talked to at TEFL have been pretty clueless on the matter. They told me it wouldnā€™t be an issue, but these are new changes.

I am in the process of getting it expunged but the public defender said it wouldnā€™t actually remove the arrest from my record. Seems like it puts more of an asterisk next to it. Iā€™m going to call this week to check on the progress of it and get more clarification.

it was unlucky to be denied a work permit by the new law, but I cannot see why it can be an excuse to break other laws of taiwan.

1 Like

The link you posted is for how to get a local police check in Taipei. I donā€™t think that has anything to do with what you are talking about

Think I saw your other post about this ā€˜certificate of good conduct.ā€™ Im 99% sure you are confusing this with just a national background check. From what Iā€™ve researched, there is no such thing as a certificate that can clear you of DUIā€™s on your record for employment.

You either get a background check that shows you have no criminal record, and therefore ā€œgood conduct,ā€ or it shows your criminal record. I donā€™t think thereā€™s a way around it. But like you said, you can expunge them from your record, but thatā€™s different topic

Thereā€™s no such thing as a ā€œcertificate of good conductā€ in most countries. A criminal record check is what they want, but even that isnā€™t the same in all countries (for example ā€œcriminal record checkā€ vs. ā€œpolice record checkā€ in Canada).

Itā€™s understandable. Some people just donā€™t like the law, in any country.

What cracks me up is when people apply a double standard.

1 Like

@CC123 shit, if there was such thing as this certificate, Iā€™d be hopping right on it. Reading this thread has not looked good though as Iā€™m personally in a similar situation and will be trying to get a TARC soon with one most likely on my record. My situation may be a little different though so weā€™ll see

I think the only positive thing I read on this thread was the OPā€™s situation. Hopefully ill get lucky like her

Exactly

Hereā€™s my situation. 10 years ago (1 week after my 18th birthday) my brother in law and I got into an argument, and some pushing began to happen. My mother over reacted and called the police to break it up. The police showed up and asked if we put our hands on one another, and stupidly, we said yes. They immediately charged us with Domestic Violence. Fast forward a couple months, everything had been resolved between my brother and I, and the Judge deferred our judgement and put it on a 6 month probation, which inevitably was dismissed.

In the U.S. this is considered a non-guilty/non conviction. So when I fill out job applications and they ask if youā€™ve ever been convicted of a crime, I can honestly say ā€œnoā€. My state background check for China didnā€™t even show this charge, but I know the FBI check probably willā€¦

I have also been applying to South Korea, and they told me it doesnā€™t matter that I was found not guilty. Thereā€™s a charge, so I wonā€™t be able to get a work Visa. Which I think is insane, if your home countries court system deems you not guilty and dismiss the case, that shouldnā€™t warrant a denial of a Visa, but alas life isnā€™t always fairā€¦

I need to know if itā€™s the same case for Taiwan. Are they just going to look at the charge and immediately deny my ARC, or are they looking for actual criminals who have actually been convicted of a crime, not accused?

I know I sound a bit salty, but damn itā€™s disturbing to have opportunities yanked away from you for something that has been settled for over a decade.

You should run the FBI check and see if it even shows up. If they
fingerprinted you when you were charged maybe it will show up but if they
didnā€™t I would say maybe it wonā€™t!

I doubt itā€™s in your FBI file. And even if it is, canā€™t you get a decade old, very minor misdemeanor charge (not even conviction) expunged from your record??

I probably can, but I was looking forward to arriving in late February, and I suppose thatā€™s going to completely obliterate any chance of that happening. Iā€™m going to get the fingerprints done and have them expedited regardless, because thereā€™s definitely a chance. Iā€™m just upset that Iā€™m put in this position to begin with. Iā€™m wondering if theyā€™ll allow me to plead my case even if it does show up. A 10 year old charge without anymore arrests should be proof enough that Iā€™m no longer an arrogant hormonal teenager.

Be honestā€¦ are you still upset at your mom? :wink:

I think youā€™re overthinking it. Itā€™s probably not on there.