Taiwan - Asia’s LGBT capital

Why Christians? OK, that’s Sui’s unique experience and experiences are never to be questioned, but it could easily be explained by the larger number of evangelical Christians in Taiwan compared to other rabidly homophobic religions.

I’m fine with giving Christians a verbal kicking. I think you know full well that they aren’t the real homophobic bad guys, though.

I just still don’t get why black people were brought up at all. Presumably the Christians handing out pamphlets to SG were locals, which makes them Taiwanese. What’s black people got to do with all this?

I was being flippant. Comparing suggesting Christians as being more likely to be homophobic based solely on experiential data, with people of color being the same.

1 Like

Where’s that written down like, is what I’m wondering.

Something that makes me curious is what it is about Taiwan that’s made it so much more, in want of a better term, progressive compared to other developed Asian societies, even other Chinese societies like HK and Singapore.

1 Like

Nobody cares about anything.

Less critical thinking = more lib—I mean (progressive) ideas.

The part about homosexuality?
I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head

Interesting question. Singapore has the greater Malay influence. HK no, but more closely tied to China?

Any part really, outside the big ten of course.

Because Christians view homosexuality as a sin and believe in that marriage is between a man and a women doesn’t mean they hate gays. You don’t have to agree with their views.

But the fundamental theme in Christianity is forgiving sins and salvation through grace. It’s not to hate them because for Christians, God kinda basically said you’re all sinners and fallen by nature, but through grace I’m going to forgive you.

That’s not really anti gay or anti sin.

Also all sins are equal in the eyes of god for Christians.

Let he has not sinned cast the first stone?

Sadly many Christians seem to forget these words from Jesus. Which proves the point above lol.

3 Likes

because people of some sort of Christian denomination are doing a campaign…

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

Yes, I get that. It was Sui’s experience. Which is different to my experience, but still of course valid. I’ve also responded as to why there may be more evangelical Christians in Taiwan.

Honestly, have you been regularly approached by homophobic Christians pushing anti-gay literature?

Nice, but not quite “sin” is it.

I have received several posts accusing same sex marriage. Though, I personally know only one person actively doing that in my real life.

I’ve gotten the weird handouts while walking around town a couple of times, though I don’t remember where. Also seen some of them hollering with bullhorns and stuff, but that was in Keelung, not Taipei.

Seriously? Do you think they were Taiwanese people?

Well, yeah. Looked and sounded just like Taiwanese people.

There isn’t exactly a list of sins in scripture. It’s pretty unified in all denominations that homosexuality is a sin. A trespassing against God’s design of sexuality for procreation.

So are we down to a 50:50 chance of homophobic Taiwanese or homophobic Christian? Or are we just assuming homophobic Taiwanese Christians?

I still don’t find being against homosexuality and gay marriage because of religious grounds to be homophobic.