Taiwan average life expectancy hits 80.9 years

The problem with the US is preventable obesity related issues I believe. I think they make up more than half of the medical expenses in the US.

whyā€™s Japanā€™s number so much higher?

Itā€™s just not obesity issues but overall prevention and seeking timely medical care. Imagine having health care but not enough money for co-pays, time off available or any assistance to get to care. And Iā€™m talking about urban living.

God only knows what rural folks have to deal with just to see a doctor.

Itā€™s G-D racket here increasingly designed for folks to fail.

Rise in 'Deaths of Despair among lower-level whites: suicide, drug addiction, alcoholismā€¦

The absolute most backwards thing about America https://imgur.com/gallery/A5aj8vh

Only Ā«benefitĀ» is that the neighbors, from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, all sell medication and medical services at top prize and US folk find it cheaper. Way cheaper, even with plane and hotel included.

1 Like

That link is exactly part of the point Im trying to make, so thanks posting that. So, when some people point to obesity as itā€™s the main factor for health issues, I get irked.

It boils my freaking blood to read those. I couldnā€™t finish. Iā€™m currently dealing with my own insurance issue --billing. I shouldnā€™t have to do this job, calling my provider, the hospital billing office AND insurance company to get this billing situation straight. Mind you this has to be done during office hours, and Iā€™m very lucky I work somewhere that is generous with flexible work hours.

I swear I want to say what I really think should happen but this is the internet so Iā€™ll be good.

But itā€™s a fucking racket and Americans need to wake up and give Congress an earful. /rant

1 Like

Or this. Absolutely insane. Worse is that it is being used as a model for other countries, including mine.

But the overwhelming majority of estates are not worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. In 2005, the Public Policy Institute of the AARP published a study of the first decade of mandatory estate recovery. Massachusetts, it found, recovered an average of $16,442 per estate in 2003, in total offsetting a little more than 1 percent of its long-term-care costs that year. That made its efforts among the most effective in the nation. In Kentucky, by contrast, the average amount collected from an estate was $93; the state recovered just 0.25 percent of its long-term-care costs. The total amount states recouped jumped from $72 million in 1996 to $347 million seven years laterā€”but even so, estate recoveries accounted for less than 1 percent of Medicaidā€™s total nursing-home costs in 2003.

Opponents of estate recovery say that the harm of destabilizing low-income families does not justify the meager returns. ā€œItā€™s a drop in the bucket given the amount of misery they cause people,ā€ says Patricia McGinnis, the executive director of the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform, which co-sponsored successful 2016 legislation to limit the assets Medicaid can recover in California. ā€œItā€™s a terrible program, itā€™s a punitive program, and it doesnā€™t do anything to reimburse the billions of dollars spent,ā€ she told me. ā€œThe purpose of recovery was to support Medicaid and bring money back, but how? By collecting anything from the poorest of the poor? Itā€™s ridiculous.ā€ By contrast, she says, ā€œyou could have a $100,000 heart operation on Medicare and thereā€™s no recovery.ā€ One lawyer in Tennessee recalled a case in which a woman went to her late motherā€™s Medicaid auction to buy back quilts that had been passed down for generations.

ā€¦

Unlike Tawanda Rhodes, my brother and I donā€™t live in the house, nor do our futures depend on inheriting it. But in a country that protects the passage of intergenerational wealth for its most privileged sons and daughters, thereā€™s a special indignity to having to fight for a trailer, or $93, or a shack at the edge of an Iowa cornfield thatā€™s of virtually no value to the government but has meant everything to us. As my wealthier peers in New York inherit summer houses, art collections, and trustsā€”their riches maximized by an ever-eroding estate taxā€”it compounds the sense of shame my mother feels in failing to leave her children with even a modest leg up, and in knowing that, had she been better informed, she might have prevented it all.
ā€¦
Perversely, then, the program punishes neither the affluent nor those with nothing to lose, but working- and middle-class Americans who, despite the odds, have managed to scrape together a little something to pass on to their children.

1 Like

Medicare, Medicaid? Just get Universal Health care going!

2 Likes

Interesting, this is where they have the issues with the Boomers. Add racial and social strife and you have a situation where the rich are getting richer, the poor poorer and the situation deteriorates instead of improving. Survival of the fittest, law of the jungle, yeah, sureā€¦ as long as they fix the game and remain on top. It is not a fair fight when the people who are in most need are the ones being robbed when they are at their most vulnerable. The article states clearly that the upper portion paying just a bit more taxes could get 6 billion, while stealing from the poor only gets them 500 million. Yet, they choose to oppress, because of prejudice. Like in our countries, they hope they can get rid of poverty by killing off the poor.

1 Like

Surely cardiovascular disease and cancer are the main causes of death in developed countries. Improved medical care has a minimal effect on reducing death rates from either of these. It delays death, of course, but not for very long.

Both of these causes of death are increasing because of rising obesity.

Opioid deaths are very high among certain demographics such as young men. Similarly suicide.

The fact you are an anonymous internet user and are worried about ranting and telling the truth is what should worry you more perhaps.

Gone are the days of internet rants and privacy. And yet, people point the tinfoil hat finger when bringing it up.

@icon. People from the USA go to canada for medical help and find it cheap? Im from there (curent citizen) but because in taiwan so long they wont recognize me and i pay full price. And its far from cheap. I assume americans pay what i do being bin residents. And thats cheap? Good service?? God help you guys.

Ohhh I read that a few days ago. That was so horrific and such a good read, I highly suggest emailing to anyone who has an elderly parent or relative in the US.

Great post!

I donā€™t know. Some of those rants need to be investigated because of the resulting harm. Iā€™m okay with having to keep anger in check, even online. Smart folks learn eventually to channel it into productive solutions :wink:

For sure. Hopefully more than we think do that rather than turn on the tv :slight_smile:

But i was meaning the poster here realizing he cant be open due to reprocusions (even thougb here ia likely a non problem). Not ao much the links posted. Seems everyone finally realizes that their IP security is simply allocation of hard drive space by those that areā€¦looking out for us. :busts_in_silhouette:

1 Like

FEf1Axb

1 Like

Does everyone who has children fail to take into account the expenses that they will create? We would have loved to have had more children, but just had one.

2 Likes

First 2 years of my current job, cost me more in living expenses than being un/under employed.

I live very much within my means and super lucky with renting costs but city living and those necessities to get to work or just maintain whatā€™s needed to be employed can cut into the paycheck. I was super surprised because some issues I never had in Taiwan became a bit of an issue here. Thank God I donā€™t have kids or deal with an ailling parent.

If they can, yes. But it is a cascade of events when contraceptives are unavailable, unreliable, too expensive or simply people are not taught they exist and how to use them.