Taiwan bank account required for study ARC?

Greetings all,

I have studied two consecutive semesters and paid for the next. Now, I want to apply for a resident visa / ARC. My school documentation regarding the application process states that I need to show proof of funds in a Taiwan bank. I only have my UK bank account and for now I want to keep my money there. I went to the school office to confirm with staff, but they seemed a bit unsure and just referenced the same documentation.

The government website doesn’t mention anything about this, only that I need “A proof of financial support”. (boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=209 … e=778&mp=2)

Anyone have any experience of applying for resident visa / ARC for study purposes? Is is really necessary to open a bank account in Taiwan?

Thanks.

[quote=“lampshade”]Greetings all,

I have studied two consecutive semesters and paid for the next. Now, I want to apply for a resident visa / ARC. My school documentation regarding the application process states that I need to show proof of funds in a Taiwan bank. I only have my UK bank account and for now I want to keep my money there. I went to the school office to confirm with staff, but they seemed a bit unsure and just referenced the same documentation.

The government website doesn’t mention anything about this, only that I need “A proof of financial support”. (boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=209 … e=778&mp=2)

Anyone have any experience of applying for resident visa / ARC for study purposes? Is is really necessary to open a bank account in Taiwan?

Thanks.[/quote]

I would have thought that they will want to pay you into a Taiwanese Bank? .Some companies here even insist that you use their own Bank for Salary.
I have retained my UK accounts also but you can open an account here; it is easy enough to transfer most of your wages to you UK bank. From what you have said that would seem to be the best course of action. You can also transfer from your UK bank,funds to show financial means,then transfer back again.Would not cost too much.

I’m not working in Taiwan. I’m here as a student studying Chinese.

The question is about the requirements for applying for a resident visa while in Taiwan.

If you apply for a resident visa at your home country’s TECO it’s sufficient to present proof of your financial status from your bank in your home country. I really don’t believe that it is necessary to open a bank account in Taiwan and transfer all your money here for that proof - if you don’t need a bank account in the first place, that is (like for a scholarship or so). I suspect that your school got it wrong somehow.

I can be mistaken, of course.

But I guess that you have to apply for your visa yourself at Immigration, right? So you could just ask there what exactly they need to proof your financial status.

You don’t need a bank account in Taiwan, speaking from experience