Taiwan better off as a colony?

[color=red]Mod note: split from [url=Experience with a small Taiwanese company [Warning] thread[/url][/color]

And to think that the Taiwanese want to declare independence, and they truly believe that they have the ability to run their own country !!!

As an overview and analysis of the commentary in this thread, I am going to have to say that the Taiwanese are currently only suitable to be a “colony” of some advanced country … they certainly don’t have the smarts to go it alone in the world community.

[quote=“Falcon”]
As an overview and analysis of the commentary in this thread, I am going to have to say that the Taiwanese are currently only suitable to be a “colony” of some advanced country … they certainly don’t have the smarts to go it alone in the world community.[/quote]

That is incredibly offensive.

Taiwan is going it in the world, in an environment where a hostile power is trying to isolate it.

Thanks but no thanks for the “overview” and “analysis.”

[quote=“BAH”] That is incredibly offensive.

Taiwan is going it in the world, in an environment where a hostile power is trying to isolate it.

Thanks but no thanks for the “overview” and “analysis.”[/quote]

On price only seen from an economic viewpoint. After having spent time in several Taiwanese companies, I would say that most don’t have what it takes to enter the world markets in a meaningful way.

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“BAH”] That is incredibly offensive.

On price only seen from an economic viewpoint. After having spent time in several Taiwanese companies, I would say that most don’t have what it takes to enter the world markets in a meaningful way.[/quote]

That’s fine, saying Taiwan firms have a ways to go in competing in world markets in a meaningful way. And from what I have read, the leadership at Kedge does have a problem with company culture and basic competence.

But saying the Taiwanese people are fit only to be ruled by an advanced country? That’s just over the top and offensive.

agree BAH

[quote=“BAH”][quote=“Mr He”][quote=“BAH”] That is incredibly offensive.

On price only seen from an economic viewpoint. After having spent time in several Taiwanese companies, I would say that most don’t have what it takes to enter the world markets in a meaningful way.[/quote]

That’s fine, saying Taiwan firms have a ways to go in competing in world markets in a meaningful way. And from what I have read, the leadership at Kedge does have a problem with company culture and basic competence.

But saying the Taiwanese people are fit only to be ruled by an advanced country? That’s just over the top and offensive.[/quote]
I don’t know, BAH, I might have to agree with Falcon. :unamused: However, if we are going to follow his line of thought to its logical conclusion, then mainland China is in even greater need of being ruled by an “advanced nation.” Everything that has been brought up in this thread about poor business practices can be found in spades on the mainland. It makes Taiwan seem almost first world. Come to think of it, the only Chinese societies that don’t do this sort of mickymouse shit are Hong Kong and Singapore, two places that were colonized by the British. Yes, I think the US and Britain should impose their benevolent rule on both Taiwan and the mainland, using the Taiwanese as our compradors of course.

Falcon, I rarely read anything as nonsensical as what you posted. What a crock of shit.

[quote=“BAH”]That’s fine, saying Taiwan firms have a ways to go in competing in world markets in a meaningful way. And from what I have read, the leadership at Kedge does have a problem with company culture and basic competence.

But saying the Taiwanese people are fit only to be ruled by an advanced country? That’s just over the top and offensive.[/quote]
That is not in the least bit offensive … it is just a statement of reality. The Taiwanese people need to wake up to the international reality that they are in no way, shape, or form fully capable of running their own country.

I agree … Taiwan is only at the stage of development where it is fit to be a colony of an advanced western power … and I suggest that the USA would be an excellent choice.

September 3, 2004 (Friday) [quote=“Taipei Times”]Kids from the US, for example, have fun during the little league games, but ours tend to play serious baseball to live up to “the system’s” expectations. For the most talented ones, they’ll probably earn good money when they get to the Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL), but won’t have much chance to face international opponents. But in the US and Japan, players have access to formal, professional training and have the opportunity to play in leagues worldwide. Our pro baseball players, however, are challenged only at the national level; they don’t go any further.

Without a baseball league supported by wealthy investors here, the only way out is to send talented Taiwanese children to Japan or the US to flourish in their baseball leagues. In an era of globalized baseball, I have to admit that Taiwan is not the right place for kids with baseball dreams.[/quote]
Even the local newspapers are effectively saying that Taiwan cannot survive as a country, because it simply does not have the level of resources and talent available to live up to the local Taiwanese people’s expectations !!

The obvious solution, as pointed out above, is for Taiwan to become a colony of a leading superpower …

Who do you think is running Taiwan now? Who’s been running it since after WWII? Of course, there are certain spoken and unspoken security arrangements with the United States, but to assert that it’s incapable of “running itself” and only fit to be a colony is more racist, I’m afraid, than the aforementioned Mr. Young.

Are you going to suggest taking on the “white man’s burden” next? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

How exactly does a quote from a newspaper about kids in Taiwan having to play serious baseball (little league no less) to live up to the “system’s” expectations leads you to conclude that Taiwan cannot function as a country (or de-facto country as it is)?

[quote=“Kairos”]
I agree … Taiwan is only at the stage of development where it is fit to be a colony of an advanced western power … and I suggest that the USA would be an excellent choice.[/quote]

By that logic most of Asia would have to be colonies of “advanced western powers”. Care to enlighten us with this… international reality that you speak of?

I am sure if tomorrow Taiwan was to declare independence and barring any attacks from China, it would just implode and collapse on itself. :unamused:

Yes … Burma would be much better off … and Laos … and Cambodia. Perhaps westerners could teach them how to live like civilized human beings … which seems to be something they have not learned in their thousands of years of culture and history to date …

You took the words right out of my mouth. But at any rate, the world community does not recognize Taiwan as a sovereign country, and the world community does not support Taiwan independence … so the best thing for Taiwan to do at this point is to beg some western power to accept it as a colony

That is, in the final analysis, the only workable solution for the “identity crisis” with which Taiwan is now faced …

According to the International Monetary Fund, Taiwan is considered a developed nation. There are 37 developed nations in total and there are 192 nations in the world. If Taiwan’s “stage of development” is only fit to be a colony, basically you are saying more than 100 countries in the world should be colonies of “advanced western nations”. A very bold and arrogant claim indeed.

I don’t know… I don’t remember putting all that crap in your mouth. Whether or not the world recognizes Taiwan as a soverign country has nothing to do with whether or not it has the capabilities to govern itself as it has been doing so for the past 50 years. The argument was about if Taiwan should be a colony of a western nation based on its stage of development, not how to solve its identity crisis.

taiwan completely dominates several high-tech markets.

I know that much… They dominate on price and replication and not on quality and service. There are a few good companies out there able to build brands etc., but most of the smaller firms I have seen are not up to it.

Moreover, many of the electronics companies were started by people with huge western exposure, so they could be expected to at least get their sales and marketing act right.

I am currently spending lots of time trying to sort out a supplier, who’s been delivering shitty quality to an overseas customer.

Arguing back and forth, pressuring them to try to see the global customers as more than cows… And this attitude is very common here, especially among the more traditional producers, which still employ far more ppl than the electronics producers.

I think if you asked anyone in the world - which country springs to mind first when they see that sentence - it’d be China

[/quote]I am currently spending lots of time trying to sort out a supplier, who’s been delivering shitty quality to an overseas customer. [quote]
Which is even more a China thing.

And then you could think of many other countries too, so it’s not just a Taiwan thing.[/quote]

However, it’s still the case in Taiwan. Things you take as granted in the west are not givens here… That you have to be on top on them suppliers all the time is a waste of time… In weak moments, I think seriously about sending them bills for my waste of time.

I know that much… They dominate on price and replication and not on quality and service. There are a few good companies out there able to build brands etc., but most of the smaller firms I have seen are not up to it.[/quote]

the best motherboards and video cards in the world are made in taiwan. not just talking about price here. the quality of these products are unsurpassed.

recently, nvidia was having issues with producing enough of their gpu’s after their launch in may. many analysts attributed it to the fact that ibm was achieving very low yields. they bemoaned the fact that nvidia had chosen ibm over tsmc for the bulk of their early production.

if you hang out at geek websites long enough, you start to see just how impressive taiwan’s high tech sector is. it is the envy of many nations the world over…

You people are forgetting that for most of its recorded history, Taiwan was a colony, starting with the Dutch. I don’t think many here are going to argue against the case that the Japanese running Taiwan for half a century was the best thing that ever happened to this island. Taiwan owes most of its development, infrastructure, and industrialization to its Japanese colonialist managers.

2 products out of 20.000

High-tech is a fairly broad term encompassing a number of industries, but if we’re talking about the IT industry, then most of Taiwan’s IT exports are from the few top named companies such as Acer, BenQ, D-Link, Asus, Ritek, CMC, ECS, MSI, Gigabyte, LiteOn, TSMC, UMC, Tatung, Umax, Microtek, Sampo, TECO and Trends Micro. Most of these companies are competitive in price and quality.

However, the rest of the 500+ smaller to medium firms tend to engage in contractual manufacturings for branded foreign companies rather than relying on exports. For instance, according to The Economist, Quanta Computer is the world’s largest marker of laptops but noone has really heard of them because they make laptops for famous companies such as Dell, IBM, Apple and Compaq. In fact, "any big brand except Toshiba