Taiwan Branch Office vs Limited Company

Hi,

I’ve recently won a business consulting contract (UK company, with an Asia remit) and I’d like to (re)locate to Taiwan.

The initial advice I was given was to set up a Taiwan branch office, to avoid paying withholding tax on any Taiwan profits I send back to the UK.

However, since my profits after salary will be small, I will not be repatriating profits to the UK. Equally, I don’t intend on moving back to the UK.

I’m therefore thinking that setting up a Taiwan limited company will be less cumbersome in legal and accounting (than having to open a UK company with also Taiwan branch office).

My question is are there any downsides/extra admin/costs in opening a Taiwan company compared to a branch office?

And am I correct in saying Branch Office and Limited Company both only have a minimum turnover requirement (NTD 3m), no minimum profit?

Thanks for any help,
Dave

1 Like

I don’t have the answer for your situation, but here is my CPA. He can give you a better opinion than me.

Thanks Marco. I’ll give him a try

Why do the office route and not a gold card? Surely you can qualify for it on income?

That’s what I initially thought……but the Gold Card website seems to suggest I need an employment contract which I assumed was required from a Taiwan company rather than a consulting contract from a UK company which I have. I’ll maybe then try to apply for the Gold Card first and see if I’m successful.

Thanks for the advice,
Dave

First advice for living in Taiwan is to completely ignore any advice a government department or website tells you. Speak to Marco’s CPA ASAP.

1 Like

This is misleading.

They will only accept Taiwan employment contracts. Not foreign employment contracts. If you have a foreign employment contract you need to provide a tax document instead that proves income.

Why? I’m not sure.

Thanks for that info; its very helpful. I’ll dig out my previous tax documents. Is the minimum income route virtually a guarantee for getting a Gold Card? It just seems too easy if you have thd income!!

It’s very easy! GC Application numbers are way down, so it shouldn’t be much of a wait to process it.

Great! Many thanks for your advice. Much appreciated :pray: