Taiwan came in joint first place as best countries in the world to be an atheist

Point is that the publication that the guy is reporting on isnt even about atheism

Well now I’m lost because that’s definitely what it appears to be saying

Well the newspaper article about the report says that the report is about atheism, but the original report does not say that. If it did it would be stoopid. How on earth can an overwhelmingly atheist country where atheism is officially encouraged by the state be a terrible place for athiesm?

To quote the report’s about section

The idea for a global report on anti-atheist discrimination was first suggested by the US State Department Office for International Religious Freedom. In the spring of 2012 the American Humanist Association (AHA) met with the Office to raise concerns about discrimination and human rights violations directed against people because of their Humanism, atheism or lack of religion. The Office responded by asking the AHA to submit a detailed international report on such discrimination.

And here I’ve done everyone a favour, these are the reasonings behind China:

Quasi-divine veneration of a ruling elite is enforced, or a single-party regime holds uncontested power, subject to severe punishment

Religious or ideological instruction is mandatory in at least some public schools (without secular or humanist alternatives)
Some concerns about children’s right to specifically religious freedom

It is illegal to register an explicitly Humanist, atheist, secularist or other non-religious NGO or other human rights organization, or such groups are persecuted by authorities

Government authorities push a socially conservative, religiously or ideologically inspired agenda, without regard to the rights of those with progressive views

Expression of core Humanist principles on democracy, freedom and human rights is brutally repressed

Concerns that secular or religious authorities interfere in specifically religious freedoms

:man_shrugging:

And what exactly does that have to do with chopsticks?

You are basically illustrating my point there

idk you brought them up

Quasi divine? Really? That’s a bit of an exaggeration if you ask me. If we were going for quasi divine id go with the queen probably, of maybe the hoff.

What is religion? What is ideology? What is progressive?

What? So like organizations in general are illegal? To be an atheist you just need to not join a religion, why the need to organize? Actually if you join the first church of atheism are you still an atheist?

What is that supposed to mean? It means that religions is forced on people? And progressive views again, where can I join this first church of the holy progressive view? And are these progressive views mandatory, I mean will I burn for all eternity in hell if I am not progressive?

What has that got to do with atheism?

Why do atheists need religious freedom. I though that like people with religions would be the ones who need freedom for religions. Im definety not getting this logic.

Yeah I don’t know. The people behind this are almost religious in their ir/anti-religion. I’m just showing what their reasons were, which is similar to what it said about best korea

1 Like

Yea I don’t really agree with what I said either.

just devils advocating really

you win, touchee

Are celebrities quasi-divine? :ponder:

I think “best/worst places to be a humanist” is what they’re trying to express, but perhaps they believe humanist and atheist are interchangeable. :idunno:

Everyday I thank God I live in a country that allows me to be an atheist. :mosque:

3 Likes

An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, “Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, “What would you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said the atheist. “How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?” as he smiled smugly.

“Okay,” she said. “Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff – grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?”

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl’s intelligence, thinks about it and says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.”

To which the little girl replies, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don’t know shit?”

And then she went back to reading her book.

3 Likes

Little wiseass.

That’s literally the worst story I’ve ever read. :expressionless:

Atheists tend to be people who value freedom of expression and the open exchange of ideas, and China isn’t very conducive to that.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s not too confusing. Just because atheism is the government ideology doesn’t make it a paradise. I’d much rather be an atheist here or in the US for that matter.

Maybe replace little girl with old lady, or evangelist, or Mormon, or Dali Lama, or Trump, or Kanye.

Is that a muhammadean, abrahamic or shivaistic paradise?

I dunno, in my experience atheists are opinionated pernickety Canadian modofokos. xcept flying spaghetti monster worshipers, i.e pastafarians, they are cool. That’s not sarcasitc.

Also people without religion who do not feel the need to take a church of the one thryue atheist label get my kudos.

Cause kudos is the one true goat like.

End of the day though china and dem chinks eh, dey be bad like

1 Like

That’s interesting. Taiwan is also one of the three countries in the world where scientists are more religious than the average citizen (along with HK and India). Per Rice Univ study.

2 Likes