Taiwan CAN'T be that corrupt, gov complains

[quote=“headhonchoII”]In ITRI where I worked for a ahort while the head of department was corrupt, he was farming out all the project to affiliates of his. He was also a professor (recently most professors in taiwan were caught fiddling their budgets and expenses).

Within one week of arriving in ITRI, the vice head, a very honest genuine lady, was complaining to me about this. Seems nobody could do anything or they were afraid to do anything about it. The head is appointed for 5 year terms each and it’s probably something they all do, so their strategy is to wait it out and hope for a better head in a few years.[/quote]

I know people with similar (first-hand) experiences. The thing is, there are different sorts of corruption, some more damaging than others. IMO, much of the (perfectly legal) rent-seeking behaviour that now goes on in the UK and Europe is a form of graft. It’s just been rubberstamped by men in suits so nobody perceives it as such - everybody just goes about their business with a general sense of being cheated. Likewise in Taiwan: the people skimming off the cream, and often their underlings, don’t actually understand it as “corruption”. It’s just a sort of perk of the job. Remember the case a few months ago where some university professors were caught with their hands in the till, and everyone excused their behaviour because they were fine upstanding citizens and Taiwan’s academic Pride and Joy, not (say) binlang-chewing blue truck drivers. Therefore, it was simply impossible that they could be criminals.

What do you mean about rent in the UK? Agency charges?

Rent seeking:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking

[quote=“Mucha Man”]Rent seeking:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rent-seeking[/quote]

Oh, I see, thanks. :thumbsup:

Another article about this:

Really, that is ridiculous.

But the gov shouldn’t protest so much:

Because that is also ridiculous. I’m sure Bambo Union boss Chang An-lo is shivering in his apartment now just anticipating the rigorous trial he is going to get for his crimes.

The issue is really not how much corruption we have in Taiwan. The real issue is how government respond it. Government do not realise that his citizens do not trust government. The confidential percentage is dropping to historical low.

I was working in real estate, there are so many gentleman agreement between government official and private company owners.

[quote=“williamchung7”]The issue is really not how much corruption we have in Taiwan. The real issue is how government respond it. Government do not realise that his citizens do not trust government. The confidential percentage is dropping to historical low.

I was working in real estate, there are so many gentleman agreement between government official and private company owners.[/quote]

Yes, I agree but this report is harmful because it focuses on the wrong issues. It’s not that I have to bribe my doctor that is the problem, but the pernicious and widespread collusion between government and business that is against the public good.

corruption in taiwan is not like corruption in philippines or mexico or even italy where you always have to pay bribes to police so you wont have to avoid false and fake violations.

Havent read the whole thread, so if it has not been covered: Thats not true.

Here is beyond corrupt on every level, ESPECIALLY local levels. If it wouldn’t get me in trouble i would make a list of a few, but it happens on all levels. Right down to assistants of no bodies of a town. Little politicians are also quite well schooled in getting rid of problems. They get bribes more that that then services i suppose. Never mind contracts and jobs, which is probably one of the more common types of corruption here. but also drugs, sex, cover ups, violence etc.

i havent seen doctors do it much as they are often not government employees and are paid. But you do see doctors/related people abuse the fuck out of the national health insurance program. to the point people here seem to think without a handful of pills nothing gets fixed. Perhaps not technically corruption, but ya.

Government employees sure as fuck do though. even little peon folk like inspectors do. I have been TRYING HARD to build out house legally, i am so absolutely angry about how much a clusterfuck it all is that i have literally thrown away all my drawings and just said build it and build it cheap. We couldnt do it legally without being told it is going to take a very long time without “hong bao”.

Taiwan is crookeder (word) than most, and as bas as any.

Havent read the whole thread, so if it has not been covered: Thats not true. Here is beyond corrupt on every level, ESPECIALLY local levels.[/quote]
I have to agree. Try starting a buxiban and see what happens. :laughing: I was asked, more than once and from different agencies/inspectors, for a hongbao to move things along smoothly… There is massive corruption here at all levels. Believing otherwise is just naïve.

Try getting married, divorced, in an accident, being hospitalized, buying a house, starting a business, getting a drivers license, a medical card, life insurance, investments, seeing hundreds of doctors, interviewing hundreds of people for articles that could help their business, and just living in a country for 17 years and not once ever being asked for a bribe and maybe you might conclude, hey, I’m not naive for thinking this place is not Egypt. :laughing:

Well, I guess it can’t be true because it never happened to you. :laughing: I’ve personally been asked for bribes using four of your examples above (and a few more you didn’t list). Just because YOU don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. :2cents:

Well, I guess it can’t be true because it never happened to you. :laughing: I’ve personally been asked for bribes using four of your examples above (and a few more you didn’t list). Just because YOU don’t see it, doesn’t mean it isn’t there. :2cents:[/quote]

Uh huh. Well, enjoy your afternoon in the Egypt of the Far East.

So if Taiwan is so corrupt, why stay here? Maybe Chicago is less corrupt.

I might suggest moving from Chiayi or Pingtung, two of the most corrupt counties in Taiwan (and less than 10% of the population so hardly representative of the whole).

I might suggest moving from Jiayi or Pingdong, two of the most corrupt counties in Taiwan (and less than 10% of the population so hardly representative of the whole).[/quote]
CHIAYI - Touch Your Wallet!

This is dangerously close to the “If you don’t like it, go home” mentality…

So we complain about every place we live in so that others who read it (mind you a lot of Taiwanese people think Taiwan is worse than it is) will loathe being in Taiwan?

Few months ago, I saw a bus driver of the 938 line taking a bribe to close his eyes / mouth when a truck crossing him made a scratch.
I thought I was back in the Philippines where this is normal (euh - maybe tolerable :s ), but for some reason, I expect in a developed country not to see such a things at lower level.
Presidents, Generals and real estate prospectors, yes - but bus drivers :aiyo: ?

A lot of people miss that this is a corruptions PERCEPTION index, so they didn’t do extensive due diligence to find out how things actually work. Instead, they asked people their feelings on government corruption, and anyone who has discussed politics with a local knows that a LOT of people feel the government is corrupt, whether or not that feeling has anything to it. I’m sure many think of Chen Shui-bian or Lin Yi-shih or other high-level incidents, but these are ultimately the exceptions not the rule. Just thinking about the KMT’s ill-gotten assets is probably enough for you to tell a phone interviewer that the system is broken, and well, I guess there may be something to that, but it doesn’t fit into my typical conception of “corrupt.”

My gf pointed out that if they’re just polling corruptions, they should do a follow-up poll now that this has become such a hot news item. She’s confident the number of people perceiving corruption would be significantly higher. “Well, I read in a survey that Taiwan is among the most corrupt countries in Asia, so I believe it.”