Taiwan citizenship

how does a foreinger who is married to a taiwanese become a taiwan citizen?

It makes no difference whether you’re married, does it? You just have to renounce your own citizenship and apply.



Look in the Double Nationality Forum. We have plenty of discussions about this topic there. :smiley:

I look on the website given and on the dual nationality site. but they conflict information. 1 says 3 years if married, 1 says 5 years if married, si needed to apply for citizenship. which is it?

The new regulations say (recently amended) 3 years if married, 5 if not. Used to be 7 if not.

More at: http://iff.immigration.gov.tw/enfront/life.php?tr_id=2&id=227



As I said, check the several threads on becoming Taiwanese in the Double Nationality forum, to check details such as forms, pictures, medical and Chinese tests, etc… It’s easier than it looks, but you do have to bring some stuff prepared beforehand. (that forum deals with nationality issues, not just doubel nationality, while residence issues are covered here in Visa and etc)

EDIT: for instance, here:

I am in a rather peculiar situation right now. I married a Taiwanese in 1992 in Singapore. I am Singaporean and after a lot of trouble managed to get my ARC. We also have a 7 year old daughter.

However, we decided to get divorced in December of 2007. After a year by myself in Singapore, we decided that it would be best for us to get back together. My ARC had expired in March 2008 and also when we filed for divorce, my ARC Status also went out the window. I have been told that I will have to go through the whole process of applying for my ARC AND THAT IS THE EASY PART WITH ALL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS IN HAND. The difficult part is that I will have to get a statement from the Registry of Marriages in Singapore and from Family Court a letter showing that I am legally divorced. However, the authorities in Singapore will not entertain me as we are still legally married in Singapore.

Now, I will need this document to re-marry my “ex” and get my name back on the Household Registry and then process my ARC. Any help out there?