Taiwan confirms its first Swine Flu case

As of May 23? A whopping 86!!!

As of May 23? A whopping 86!!![/quote]

Out of 6.7 billion? Why is it news?

As of May 23? A whopping 86!!![/quote]

Out of 6.7 billion? Why is it news?[/quote]
Because it’s IMPORTANT, goddammit! The newspapers SAY so! So does the Internet. So it MUST be true. YOU’RE GOING TO DIE OF THE FLU, TOMHILL! (so can I have your Dylan CDs?)

Well, the capital letters certainly struck it home to me. I will pop the c.d.'s in the post as soon as I have finished fashioning a mouth covering device so that I can go out into this new apocalyptical world.

FORGET IT!
It’s NO USE!
Don’t you understand?
It’s reached the deadly, no-turning-back, ACRONYM stage!!!
Once it has an ACRONYM, IT’S ALL OVER!!!
Never MIND the surgical mask, avoiding crowds, and increasing hygenic measures!
IT’S TOO LATE!!!
You’re better off JUST ENDING IT ALL!!
WE’RE ALL DOOMED!!
DOOMED I SAY!!!
In the space of 3 months, HUMANITY AS WE KNOW IT will be reduced to about 5000 members, WORLD WIDE!!!
5000 DESPERATE SOULS!!
HUDDLED IN THE BASEMENT!!
GNAWING ON RAW POTATOES IN THE DARK!!!
DOING THEIR OWN LAUNDRY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S HOLY!!!

FORGET IT!
It’s NO USE!
Don’t you understand?
It’s reached the deadly, no-turning-back, ACRONYM stage!!!
Once it has an ACRONYM, IT’S ALL OVER!!!
Never MIND the surgical mask, avoiding crowds, and increasing hygenic measures!
IT’S TOO LATE!!!
You’re better off JUST ENDING IT ALL!!
WE’RE ALL DOOMED!!
DOOMED I say!!!
In the space of 3 months, HUMANITY AS WE KNOW IT will be reduced to about 5000 members, WORLD WIDE!!!
5000 DESPERATE SOULS!!
HUDDLED IN THE BASEMENT!!
GNAWING ON RAW POTATOES IN THE DARK!!!
DOING THEIR OWN LAUNDRY FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT’S HOLY!!![/quote]

5000 left you say? Would any of the survivors be fit? Seems to me that a girl like Milla Jojovich would be in that 5000. That would be sweet. I’d sit in a basement eating her raw potatoes any day of the week. And there would still be weed right? Tons and tons of weed.

My coworkers were just up in arms reading that piece of news. “Those Americans”, they said, “how come they do not care about anyone else and go tralala around the world bringing disease with them?”

The last time I heard something along those lines it was Li Ao doing the talking.

Sigh

They were checking everyone’s temperature at the Guoyuzibao on Saturday. Just like SARS.

My coworkers were just up in arms reading that piece of news. “Those Americans”, they said, “how come they do not care about anyone else and go tralala around the world bringing disease with them?”

The last time I heard something along those lines it was Li Ao doing the talking.

Sigh[/quote]
The woman that caught it was a local. She caught it from her local friend who’d just returned from tralala-ing around spreading her disease. What say your racist fucktard colleagues about that?

Sigh[/quote]
The woman that caught it was a local. She caught it from her local friend who’d just returned from tralala-ing around spreading her disease. What say your racist fucktard colleagues about that?[/quote]

I know it. You know it. But their argument was “why don’t Americans check the people before they get on the plane?” And obviously, where they caught it… (they were also reading about the two girls on the last flight out Frisco…)

Sigh

There is no logic involved when panic starts going around.

[quote=“Icon”]
There is no logic involved [/quote]
In Taiwan? In the Taiwanese media? You got that right. :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Icon”]
In Taiwan? In the Taiwanese media? You got that right. :laughing:[/quote]

Man! Please! That’s my bread and butter! I have five mouths to feed! :cry:

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Icon”]
In Taiwan? In the Taiwanese media? You got that right. :laughing:[/quote]

Man! Please! That’s my bread and butter! I have five mouths to feed! :cry:[/quote]
Me too. But I remain above it, merely pointing out their many inadequacies and shortcomings on every possible occasion, all the while with a contemptuous sneer that they find particularly offensive, I’m sure.

[quote=“the chief”] HUMANITY AS WE KNOW IT will be reduced to about 5000 members…GNAWING ON RAW POTATOES IN THE DARK!!!
[/quote]

So what you are saying is that the last remaining souls on the planet will be found in Ireland?

BroonArmagh

Lordy, are they gonna stop me gettin on the plane in SF tomo? Besides everyone knows its the mexican jumping beans spreading this right? Just dont mention to the Taiwanese that it isnt even on the news anymore here.

What?! And miss on all the business opportunities from The Final Virus?!

Wait a minute. Last time we actually lost money from all the mess. And to make matters worse, the cafeteria at work closed downs, and most restaurants around our area as well. I had to cook every day! :no-no:

And keeping with the upbeat theme, a few words of reassurance from our Health Minister:

[quote]As of May 21, the global mortality rate resulting from the new strain of swine flu stood at 0.7 percent, he noted. If the deaths in Mexico – the worse hit country among the 43 that have been affected – are excluded, the figure drops to 0.1 percent he added.

[color=#BF0000]If a 0.1 percent mortality rate is applied to Taiwan, it means that 20,000 people would die of the flu, Yeh said.[/color] 

[/quote]
From CNA.

[quote=“Icon”]And keeping with the upbeat theme, a few words of reassurance from our Health Minister:

[quote]As of May 21, the global mortality rate resulting from the new strain of swine flu stood at 0.7 percent, he noted. If the deaths in Mexico – the worse hit country among the 43 that have been affected – are excluded, the figure drops to 0.1 percent he added.

[color=#BF0000]If a 0.1 percent mortality rate is applied to Taiwan, it means that 20,000 people would die of the flu, Yeh said.[/color] 

[/quote]
From CNA.[/quote]
Where’s the rest? Like, how many people in Taiwan die of the regular seasonal flu? You know, give the figures some ACTUAL meaning?

Dunno, but before we had the first case, we had 5 deaths from season flu. No headlines for that. :ponder:

[quote=“Icon”]And keeping with the upbeat theme, a few words of reassurance from our Health Minister:

[/quote]
From CNA.[/quote]

But working further…

83 are dead globally.
The global mortality rate stands at 0.7%
Therefore 0.7% = 83 people.
So about 11800 people on earth…?