Taiwan considering first-strike plan

[quote]http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20051108-054128-9116r

TAIPEI, Taiwan, Nov. 8 (UPI) – Taiwan is considering a legislative proposal to give its president the power to strike first in the event of an imminent attack from China.

Lee Wen-chung, a legislator from the ruling Democratic Progressive Party, has proposed the president be empowered to initiate a first strike if intelligence reports indicated an impending attack by the People’s Liberation Army, the South China Morning Post reported Tuesday.

The success of this plan depends on whether Taiwan can obtain eight conventional submarines and other sophisticated weapons from the United States. A proposed $8 million budget for the U.S. arms package, which has been rejected repeatedly by opposition legislators, was turned down yet again Monday.[/quote]

Once ROC has 8 conventional subs and a first strike option, taking back the mainland will be a piece of cake. God bless the DPP LY that want to restart the Chinese Civil war all over again.

Maybe they can end communist occupation of Hong Kong while they are at it

There must be a Taiwanese Baldrick out there somewhere who has cunning plans for all this.

[quote=“ac_dropout”][quote]http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20051108-054128-9116r

Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 8 (UPI) – Taiwan is considering a legislative proposal to give its president the power to strike first in the event of an imminent attack from China.

Lee Wen-chung, a legislator from the ruling Democratic Progressive Party, has proposed the president be empowered to initiate a first strike if intelligence reports indicated an impending attack by the People’s Liberation Army, the South China Morning Post reported Tuesday.

The success of this plan depends on whether Taiwan can obtain eight conventional submarines and other sophisticated weapons from the United States. A proposed $8 million budget for the U.S. arms package, which has been rejected repeatedly by opposition legislators, was turned down yet again Monday.[/quote]

Once ROC has 8 conventional subs and a first strike option, taking back the mainland will be a piece of cake. God bless the DPP LY that want to restart the Chinese Civil war all over again.[/quote]

Should be a piece of cake as long as the PRC doesn’t place any disabled tankers in our way. :slight_smile:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I wasn’t aware the DPP had ever made “retaking the mainland” one it’s goals. I thought that dream was reserved by the KMT.

And what’s wrong with having a “first strike” policy?

Because in Taiwan’s case it will be dependent on DPP intelligence gathering to determine if an impending attack from the PRC is coming.

You know I’m still waiting for the impending attack that triggered the referrendum last year. And waiting, and waiting,…

You know it’s like waiting for CSB to step down from office.

So, anything the Pan-Greens do is wrong, and anything the Pan-Blues do is right?

Lemme guess: you watch a lot of Taiwanese media, yes?

Gotta love the polarized perspective.

[quote]http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20051108-054128-9116r

Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 8 (UPI) – Taiwan is considering a legislative proposal to give its president the power to strike first in the event of an imminent attack from China. [/quote]
I’m confused … does this imply that he doesn’t have the power to do that now? Whatever happened to being the commander in chief of the army/navy/airforce?

A draft dodger as commander and cheif of ROC…hehe. Didn’t a high ranking general want to resign when CSB won his “re-election.” Then CSB declared later his was a victim of a soft coup because of the resignation. Not to mention the whole fiasco of declaring a state of emergency that might have disenfranchised a bunch of pan-Blue soldiers. Yeah that won him a lot of respect in the ROC military.

Given that ROC system is Legislative the power to enact war is probably in the LY somewhere.

Does this mean that they’re actually going to buy some offensive weapons? Except for anti-ship and air to air missiles, the ROC hardly has any offensive weapons. What good is the threat of a first strike when the military lacks the weapons to deliver it with? The PLA generals are laughing their asses off right about now.

A Taiwanese first-strike … or even the acknowlegement that one is possible … would be just about the best thing ever from the mainland point of view.

Gulf of Tonkin, anyone?

What branch of service did you serve in?

But then again I have no plans to take the ROC into war. I believe that people who wish to engage in war should have some experience in the endeavor.

Look at GW Bush and the quagmire he created with his war.

Like CCTang mentioned, even without the ASL, the PRC could interpret presidential power of first strike as an act of war. Why give them an excuse?

NEWS FLASH!

TAIWANESE LEGISLATOR SAYS SOMETHING CRAZY

FOOTAGE AT 11

My money’s is on the Blues :smiley:

[quote] Correct me if I’m wrong, but I wasn’t aware the DPP had ever made “retaking the mainland” one it’s goals. I thought that dream was reserved by the KMT.
[/quote]

Comrade Stalin is absolutely right, and it was an excellent idea.

My girlfriend recently purchased me a map (brand new) from a bookstore in Yonghe that features the Republic of China in its rightful place:

Capital in Nanjing

There is no Beijing, only Beiping :laughing:

Quite pleasing.