Taiwan Cop Arrests Betel Nut Vendor - too rough?

[color=#008040]Mod note: Title was originally Taiwan Cop Body Slams Betel Nut Vendor[/color]

Hmm. The media paints all of us foreigners as guilty, guilty, guilty, but when a Taiwanese police officer is the subject they really tone down the rhetoric and use nice words like “allegedly”. Hmm. Check the TVBS video I attached and see if it appears that he “allegedly” body slammed this girl to the ground in addition to other violent transgressions. Is this cop justified in his use of this amount of force?

[quote=“Chinapost on 4-8-2010”]

Police [color=#FF0000]regrets roughness[/color] in betel-nut sales girl arrest

TAIPEI, Taiwan – Taipei County police officials yesterday said that an officer who was accused of using violence in the arrest of a betel-nut sales girl will be removed from his current post. The [color=#FF0000]80-kg police officer[/color], Luan Cheng, 37, was overly rough while arresting the betel-nut girl Yen Ju-yu, 19, who allegedly wore revealing attire to solicit patronage. The girl weighs only a little more than [color=#FF0000]40 kilograms.[/color] Luan [color=#FF0000]allegedly[/color] threw Yen to the ground and bruised her right eye and injured left hand fingers after Yen failed to respond positively to Luan’s warnings.

Yen yesterday accused of Luan of using violence against her, while Luan sued Yen on charge of injury as his left palm was injured during the arrest process. In addition, Yen was also subject to prosecution for hampering the handling of the public affairs.

The Chungho police precinct, where Luan serves as a patrol police, said that at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday, Luan, riding a motorbike on a patrol duty, found a seductively-dressed girl soliciting male customers to patronize her betel-nut stand on Zhongzheng Road of Chungho City, Taipei County.

Luan tried to persuade Yen to behave herself or be punished for undermining social virtues, but Yen turned a deaf ear to Luan and even shouted to him, “This is my way, you can do nothing here!”

Yen then showered four-letter words on Luan, and then tried to get in a house and pull down the iron gate to stop Luan’s arrest.

To counter, Luan quickly threw Yen to the ground to stop her from pulling down the gate, handcuffed her and took her back to the police office for questioning.

Later on, Luan [color=#FF0000]regretted[/color] his violent practice against Yen, and he is likely to be switched to other service place.[/quote]

shook me to the core…that was graphic, at one point I thought he would just snap her hand. Shucks. She was 40 KGs…

Was watching that yesterday. It looked to me like she provoked it, he seemed to be justified in restraining her, but those guys need to be sent back to cop school or something

That’s not a body slam; it’s a judo hip throw, not executed extremely well.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Was watching that yesterday. It looked to me like she provoked it, he seemed to be justified in restraining her, but those guys need to be sent back to cop school or something[/quote]But her offense is dressing scantily and lipping off to the cop. Was this amount of force justified for her offense? I don’t believe so.

The offense is irrelevant, hard to tell exactly what happened but she seemed to be trying to physically get by him when I guess he was instructing her not to, and tried to push him a bit there, she even hit him, after he pushed her to the ground admittedly, but the film was cut just before that so impossible to say what happened just before that. Presuming she was breaking some law and the cop was just trying to do his job, as we all know the cops here are absolute masters of accomplishing that with the absolute minimum effort or trouble possible, it looked like she went a bit psycho on the guy, i’m not surprised it came to her being restrained, just that they were so incompetent in doing so.

That young lady needs a good spanking.

She slapped the cop in the face first and from the look of it in the video clip, must have been throwing vugalitis at him too. All the cop did was to overthrow her for an arrest, brutal, maybe, but not out of line, IMHO. Afterall, he has a job to do, can’t just walk away sheepishly, can he?

Cop was a bully-she’s half his weight and he threw her to the ground like a broken pogo stick. And for his added jollies he gets to man handle a scantily clad girl. Despicable and pointless police work.

Ha ha she’s spunky. I hope they didn’t graze her legs up. Tough guy cop ROFLMAO What really annoyed me was dragging her legs along the road like that. Damn be careful of her legs ! Don’t damage her please. Just cause she won’t shag them doesn’t mean they have to spoil her for others :fume:

I think she shouldnt have lipped off to the cop. And he was wrong to be so rough on a young person. But in SF they wouldve tasered her (and possibly killed her). Lip off to a cop in the USA and you are in for being thrown on the ground and arrested for sure (at least).

jUst be polite and things will be better.

Shes sexy but shes being a real bitch. resisting arrest and all that. Course the copper shouldve just taken the matter up with her boss. He will straighten her out real fast (they are gangsters afterall for the most part).

Pretty as she is, Id want no part of a woman that dumb and non socially aware. One hour is all id give her :slight_smile:

Ha, actually looked sorta like the “live action” I used to have with my ex .
Cept me ex was hotter and more violent .

Well shes pretty hot looking and young and getting a lot of fame out of this. Maybe we will see more of her. Shes already bared her tits on the cover of a mens magazine. Shes out to use what shes got. The policeman was very rough with her and deserves to be talked to at least. But she should have been smart enough not to slap the cop or push him around or use foul language with him, nor resist arrest.
youtube.com/watch?v=9l9dk3zB … re=related

All because she was dressed sexily? :loco:

Not because she was dressed sexily. Because she was. . .

Sex bad. Violence good.

I agree with all those who say she appeared to bring on the violence by mouthing off to him and slapping him and resisting arrest, but he definitely didn’t need to use that amt of force to handcuff and arrest her. Others are right, too, that perhaps he’s jealous that she pleasures others and not him, so he gets his jollies roughing her up. It was brutal and it’s a shame he won’t really be disciplined, despite what they say.

Anyway, I guess that’s why they call them pigs.

Its no doubt that some coppers (anywhere) rough up people. Some of those guys are pretty hardcore and not mild mannered people.

She couldve been tasered or treated much worse elsewhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=tVJb_wkI7jk

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]Not because she was dressed sexily. Because she was. . .

Sex bad. Violence good.

I agree with all those who say she appeared to bring on the violence by mouthing off to him and slapping him and resisting arrest, but he definitely didn’t need to use that amt of force to handcuff and arrest her. Others are right, too, that perhaps he’s jealous that she pleasures others and not him, so he gets his jollies roughing her up. It was brutal and it’s a shame he won’t really be disciplined, despite what they say.

Anyway, I guess that’s why they call them pigs.[/quote]

What amount of force should he have used then? Ask nicely that she put the handcuffs on herself?

She assaulted a police officer and when he tried to arrest her, she resisted. That video wasn’t excessive force. If you have a problem with the law being stupid, which it is, change the law. A stupid law doesn’t give you the right to assault a police officer. When she assaulted him, she rightly should have been arrested. She didn’t want to go and she got bruised in the process of resisting. Tough shit.

The poorly done hip throw may not be the best method, but it’s better than pulling out a baton, or as Tommy pointed out, a taser. If he had used a baton to get compliance, she would have broken bones. The only problem I saw was that he ended up on top of her, rather than with his knee in her back controlling her movement. Because of that error, had to violently jerk her wrist to regain control and get compliance, whereas if he had his knee in her back, he would have been able put the handcuffs on without wrenching her wrist like he did.

All in all her fault. If you don’t want to get your ass thrown around, don’t assault police officers. I fail to see why should he be disciplined for this.

Reasonable force.

I think we all agree that she was wrong to mouth off to a cop and slap him and resist arrest. But I’m certain I could’ve gotten her into cuffs and into a squad car without repeatedly throwing her on the ground, forcefully wrenching her arm around like that and then dragging her down the street. She’s fiesty, but she’s still built like a bird. There was no need (aside from his perverse emotional needs) to brutalize her like that in order to take her captive.

I also question whether it was really illegal for her to dress like that when thousands of other girls do exactly the same, apparently without repercussions. :eh:

No wonder the majority of cops here don’t want to enforce the laws. :laughing:

Reasonable force.

I think we all agree that she was wrong to mouth off to a cop and slap him and resist arrest. But I’m certain I could’ve gotten her into cuffs and into a squad car without repeatedly throwing her on the ground, forcefully wrenching her arm around like that and then dragging her down the street. She’s fiesty, but she’s still built like a bird. There was no need (aside from his perverse emotional needs) to brutalize her like that in order to take her captive.

I also question whether it was really illegal for her to dress like that when thousands of other girls do exactly the same, apparently without repercussions. :eh:[/quote]

Seemed a reasonable use of force to me. He was assaulted in the course of his duties and then he used a reasonable amount of force to subdue her for resisting arrest related to the assault. He didn’t do anything that screams “excessive”, however I’d agree that the later throws were unnecessary if he was trained properly. A properly trained officer would only need to throw her to the ground once and then quickly slap cuffs on. She would have been injured, but probably to a lesser degree. I still think she would have gotten dragged either way because she chose to make herself dead weight like how she chose to resist arrest. As for getting her arm wrenched, well that’s something that happens when you’re resisting arrest.

Wise words from an urban philosopher…

[color=#408000](contains impolite language - may not be suitable for work)[/color]

Learn it…Live it…Love it…

and don’t sell drugs in your underwear…:smiley:

I’d like to know what happened at the 4-second point of the video. Did she trip on her way out of the shop, or was she violently pushed out?

“Later on, Luan regretted his violent practice against Yen, and he is likely to be switched to other service place.”

Good match! She uses the Topolov Opening; he counters with the Korchnoi Defense, and the commisioner is now expected to finish it off with the Vatican Shell Game.