Taiwan could fine singer for singing at China national day

What do you guys think?

I just wonder how many multiples of the potential Taiwanese fine she’ll be getting paid to sing there. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Well, finally she’s getting press time for her singing, instead of her new purse.

It is like that Sun kid: no publicity is bad publicity. I mean, they are always on the paper for inane things, seems their agents push to have them in the spotlight…in spite if lack of any relevant achievement.

1 Like

They should refuse her reentry to Taiwan. If she wants to be Chinese then effing well be Chinese.

10 Likes

Former LA Boyz member Jeffrey Huang has come to Nana’s defense. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got business dealings in China.

JeffreyHuang

3 Likes

It’s a disgrace to democracy if they are fined. They should have the right to perform wherever they like.

2 Likes

There’s a difference. China is an enemy state.

10 Likes

Absolute nonsense. China is an enemy state that is threatening to blow us to smithereens. Taiwan has enforceable treason and sedition laws for this very reason.

8 Likes

It’s not like she’s privy to secret information she’s sharing. It’s a song for Christ’s sake. I don’t think n banning TikTok or other online platforms in a free country is right, either.

1 Like

Does Taiwan trade with China? Operate factories there?
If they have trade, there is no justification to exclude performances. Can’t have it both ways.

6 Likes

We’ve been having it both ways for years. I know it’s complicated but the girl has been invited to sing in national day celebrations as a deliberate taunt to Taiwan.

6 Likes

So invite some Chinese singers to Taiwan for 10/10. :joy:

5 Likes

And Xi Jinping is just a bunch of atoms. What’s your point?

They’re committing treasonous acts.

They won’t. China will kick them out.

Yet they impose their propaganda on us, we cannot do the same. They are allowed market access, but we are not allowed.

They create unfair conditions while we play by the rules. They would most certainly control the narrative if they gain market dominance here while we cannot even THINK to start up over there. That would make us ‘free’ on paper yet unable to criticise China.

No. Ban their censorship. The tolerance paradox is that to be tolerant, we must not tolerate intolerance. They fail to tolerate our free societies, we should not tolerate their attempts at suppression of our free speech. Fuck TikTok.

8 Likes

When you become what you oppose, what’s the point of opposing it?

2 Likes

We are not becoming what we are opposing. We are protecting everyone’s ability to speak their mind. If China controls the narrative by controlling our media, then there is no difference.

We have freedom of speech in Canada because we don’t tolerate those who infringe on our rights.

It’s one thing to have an opinion, it’s another to attempt to take another’s opinion away.

Ban foreign state censorship and suppression.

2 Likes

They are threatening to take away the opinions/free will of the singers.

1 Like

No they’re not. It’s illegal in most countries to commit treason. If she wishes to defect, she may.

If they want to go to China and get Chinese citizenship. Nobody is stopping them. Don’t come back. We’re at war with them.

They’re welcome to have opinions. They’re welcome to wish that Taiwan is part of China. But if their loyalty is here, do not take part in the politics of an enemy country.

2 Likes

Explain to me how singing a song is treason.
It’s censorship. Pot meet kettle.

It’s not just any song, it’s the national anthem of the country that wants to take over Taiwan by force.

3 Likes

Well. For one, your belittlement of it as ‘[just] a song’ is deceptive. It’s a national anthem not Whitney Houston. She’s out there celebrating the national day of a country that is not only a threat to national security but actively engaging in warfare. She’s welcome to move there and become Chinese.

Freedom of speech does not mean unlimited freedom to say what you want anytime anywhere.

It is the freedom to have an opinion and say it. Not to infringe the rights of others and not to commit treason.

It’s not freedom of speech to yell fire in a crowded building. It’s called being a dick.

7 Likes