Taiwan cult roundup

Okay, I just saw the Taiwan 2012 Yearbook, with the updated list of officially recognized religions…

ey.gov.tw/en/cp.aspx?n=4ADC064334D460FA

and there seem to be some new entries on it:

“Chinese Heritage and Moral Sources” (玄門真教): moi.gov.tw/dca/02faith_001_26.aspx They seem to worship Guangong.

“Chinese Holy Religion” (中華聖教): moi.gov.tw/dca/02faith_001_21.aspx

“Hai Tze Tao” (f. 1984): haitzetao.net/English%20Web/ … ction.html Vaguely 先天 theology, their master transmits “cosmic energy” to his disciples

“Huang Chung” (黃中): moi.gov.tw/dca/02faith_001_19.aspx Founded 1960, seems to be a 先天 sect

“Ism” (太易教): moi.gov.tw/dca/02faith_001_17.aspx Seems to be Confucianist

These join a number of relatively obscure sects that were on the list before (Tiandijiao, Tiandejiao, Li-ism, various I-Kuan Tao offshoots) So, anybody know what these five new ones are? Do they exist apart from the yearbook? P.S. I did find some more information, and added it above.

Turning to cults not on the list, I just learned about something called the “East-West Culture Project”: eastwestcultureproject.tumblr.com
Despite the Tibetan name of its leader (anybody heard of “Khenchen Rinpoche”?), the group seems to be Chinese Buddhist, and emphasizes Chinese-y things like qigong and tea-drinking (without yak butter).

And what’s the name of that Taipei-based qigong group that’s always trying to recruit foreigners? Does anybody remember? They’ve been around for awhile.

As long as I’m asking about the yearbook, does anybody here know whether the section on I-Kuan Tao is correct? It says that the religion has “global headquarters established in El Monte, California in 1996.” I am aware of websites which say that, but isn’t I-Kuan Tao divided into a number of rival sects? Surely they can’t all be headquarted in El Monte, California…?

The government also forgot Christianity, Judaism, and Islam?

and Falun Dafa? :popcorn:

Tai Ji Men? (太極門)

So shocked that 日月明功 doesn’t get government backing! :stuck_out_tongue:

Very interesting. As all religions start out as cults… maybe one of them is on to something.

Forget the Fat Buddha, or the Money god, here is the new diety for making money:

Gilded Sun Yat-sens.

Awesome for bringing in fortune and you’d have lot of them in your wallet anyway.

libertytimes.com.tw/2014/new … ots=TPhoto

Does this qualify as a the product of a cult?

For a smaller one, there is a temple, Tian Hong Gong 天宏宮, in Hsinchu near National Tsing Hua University that holds CKS as a deity. :ponder:

Craaaaaaaaaaaaazy, I have got to visit.

it’s right in the “Tshin-Da Night Market” which really isn’t a night market. It’s pretty easy to find when you are on Jian-gong Yi Rd. because it’s the temple that has a ROC flag on it.

maps.google.com.tw/maps?q=Cosme … 20.998081&

Oh, and another creepy Taiqi cult to avoid, is “Mei men”, which has a vegetarian restaurant around the corner from Shida.

[quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”]

Oh, and another creepy Taiqi cult to avoid, is “Mei men”, which has a vegetarian restaurant around the corner from Shi-Da.[/quote]

When evaluating such organizations, you should not say: “They are a cult.” What you really mean is cult-behaviour (like: strong identification with the group and it’s leader), that is commonplace to many religious groups. For the sake of a functional assessment, you should better ask: “To what degree is an organization a cult?”

I personally know all the foreigners involved in Meimen here in Taipei and never heard of means of institutionalized coercion being implemented. I think you have a prejudice about the organization; at any rate, your perspective seems one-sided and superficial.

Anyone know much about 日月明功? A reference on Wikipedia (in Chinese):
zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5 … B%E6%A1%88

Sounds like a Taiwanese version of “Eyes Wide Shut” (the secret society at a countryside mansion, anyway).

I’m really curious about where this discussion would go. :popcorn: