Taiwan Customs

In this thread My mail and packages forwarded from home (USA) we mention this review of 5 US services that forward mail or packages to you abroad. wowebook.com/shopping/intern … anies.html

Talking to other expats though, the story is that its generally pretty safe to import electronics in your luggage. But if you use DHL etc. it will get hit with a customs duty. That said, I know of a guy who brought in a projector and got hit with 30% duty at the airport. And I know of a guy who brought in a projector and an amplifier in their original boxes and waltzed through the “nothing to declare” line.

I personally have an Amazon Kindle shipped through Bongo via DHL, that is hung up at customs right now. The kicker is, there is a 1700 NT fee just for the privilege of getting screwed by customs, so even if they only hit me for a $25 duty on the $250 Kindle, then they tack on another $50. I think I have the option of just sending it back (and paying DHL shipping) if I feel they are being too greedy. OTOH I know a guy here who mailed in a Kindle with just a 10% fee. As far as I can tell, Customs is just luck of the draw, though a big box or a higher value (anything over $300) is more likely to get whacked. Electronics of any kind (cell phones, kindles, amplifiers, projectors) are like, Danger Will Robinson.