Taiwan Customs

So you guys having things sent over, are the packages marked as gifts?

Gifts under $1000 are supposed to be tax free

What the diplomatic bag you mean? That doesn’t get searched, no…[/quote]

No, I mean, for instance United States Postal Service (government post) which is received and handled by Taiwan’s Post Office (government post), as opposed to private companies. If the declared value is under about NT$2500-3000, and you’re in Taibei, you have a very good chance of not even having it opened, in my personal experience (15 years, hundreds of packages).[/quote]

I was pulling your leg DB. Point being that a lot of postal services are in private hands now (including Chunghwa Post, the USPS and Royal Mail).

I never get checked and i don’t know the rule about food but i did sneak some extra booze in from home. Since i can’t get it here, they should let me.

It also depends what’s in the package, for instance electronics, food etc. I’m sure they have guidelines. I doubt electronics will get through too easy even with govt post, but better chance than the courier service perhaps if the nominal amount is low (the courier services have to write the correct figure on the packing list)

[quote=“Kea”]If I imported 300US$ of fitness supplements into Taiwan for my use, what would the duty charge probably be? I might get them to declare it under 300$ value.

I’d use the International Express Courier as well, since they do tracking and sign off.

cheers for any replies[/quote]

I did it years back and I had a difficult time getting them, because you can only import a set amount (quantity) of supplements for own use …
I just told the courier to return it to the US … and surprise, they arrived at my door a day later without paying anything …

Not yet …

The workers are currently striking.

I’ve been at the customs place at the airport, not the office but the place they receive and clear the goods … and lot’s of packages get x-ray’d …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Kea”]If I imported 300US$ of fitness supplements into Taiwan for my use, what would the duty charge probably be? I might get them to declare it under 300$ value.

I’d use the International Express Courier as well, since they do tracking and sign off.

cheers for any replies[/quote]

I did it years back and I had a difficult time getting them, because you can only import a set amount (quantity) of supplements for own use …
I just told the courier to return it to the US … and surprise, they arrived at my door a day later without paying anything …[/quote]

I’ll give it a shot, but will reduce the amount slightly-maybe 200 bucks. I’ll get the sender to make it look more like a gift. I’ll post the results of this experiment-whether it’s stopped, and how much extra is charged.

In my 13 years living in Taiwan, leaving for overseas trips at least once or twice a year, I’ve never been checked by Taiwan Customs. Green lane (nothing to declare) and thru.

I did have to pay tax on my wife’s wedding ring when I had it sent by courier from Canada, which steamed me immensely. I really don’t get the logic there.

Must have changed recently, because I never had it happen to me.

I think the customs office is more interested in nabbing people who bring fruits, guns and drugs into the country. Everything else they pretty much ignore. I’ve seen people buy 10 cartons of cigarettes at the duty free shop and just stuff them in their carryons and not declare them at customs and they are still let through fine.