Taiwan Distributors Recall Volvo XC-70

[quote=“E.P.A.”]The EPA’s random testing of new automobiles has shown that some importers of the VOLVO XC70 D5 AWD has NOX emissions as high as 0.28 g/km. This exceeds the limit of 0.25 g/km stated in Article 5 of the Transport Vehicle Air Pollutant Emission Standards (交通工具空氣污染物排放標準). After confirming the substandard results of random testing, the EPA annulled the exhaust certification for this make of vehicle according to regulations and has required businesses to cooperate in recalling all vehicles and making the necessary improvements.
I
n order to maintain domestic air quality the EPA has set the Vehicular Air Pollutant Emission Standards (交通工具空氣污染物排放標準). Vehicle exhaust must conform with given standards before they can apply with the EPA for exhaust inspection certification and obtain a license from motor vehicle supervision offices. The EPA also conducts random inspections of new car models to ensure vehicles sold by businesses comply with standards. If new car models fail to pass random testing, the EPA will cancel the existing exhaust certification for that model and require businesses to recall all cars and carry out improvements to prevent those cars from negatively affecting air quality.
The 2009 model of the VOLVO XC70 diesel sedan has received exhaust certification by the EU. As Taiwan follows EU emission standards, the cars were eligible for exhaust testing certification from the EPA. From 24 October 2007 to 15 August 2008, a total of 154 VOLVO XC70s were imported. During random testing of new vehicle models, the EPA found NOX emissions of this model in excess of emission standards. The importer has promised to recall all cars of this model and confirm the reason for substandard test results with the VOLVO factory in Sweden. After determining an effective response measure, the importer will inform all owners of this car and ensure the necessary improvements are carried out.[/quote]

A bit late. This was issued in mid 2009

Just to clarify, they don’t use the cathlyc converters to reduce emissions which are common in Germany (Bobland) in Taiwan? I didn’t find one under my car so it surprised me to read Taiwan would follow EU emission standards. But then again, EU norms are weaker than German norms and can be fulfilled with a simpler, unregulated cathlyc converter. Are those employed in cars in Taiwan?

It’s a diesel. I think it runs a particulate filter instead of a catalytic converter.

But anyway, Volvo belongs to the Chinese now, so sooner or later the vehicles will be made there, and then Taiwan can just accept them as being made to Chinese standards and import them without being tested. Just like milk powder.

[quote=“redwagon”]It’s a diesel. I think it runs a particulate filter instead of a catalytic converter.

But anyway, Volvo belongs to the Chinese now, so sooner or later the vehicles will be made there, and then Taiwan can just accept them as being made to Chinese standards and import them without being tested. Just like milk powder.[/quote]

I can’t imagine how fast they’ll start leaking when it rains if they’re to be built with Chinese milk powder. :astonished:

Yes, its a particulate filter which will be fitted. I think I can guarantee that all Volvos will be fitted with filters and cats all over the world.