Taiwan Drug Busts

any idea if they do tests for something other than recreational drugs?[/quote]

IQ tests?
TOEFL?
Ritalin?
… steroids?[/quote]

You’ve obviously never been to a nightclub in Taiwan. They shut that shit down and haul off as many white faces as they can find. Meanwhile the Taiwanese are huffing lines of K to their hearts content.

any idea if they do tests for something other than recreational drugs?[/quote]

IQ tests?
TOEFL?
Ritalin?
… steroids?[/quote]

You’ve obviously never been to a nightclub in Taiwan. They shut that shit down and haul off as many white faces as they can find. Meanwhile the Taiwanese are huffing lines of K to their hearts content.[/quote]

I did in my 20s but they were so grim I just got bored. I’m a bar person. I was a teenager in the 80s/90s. Clubs in Taiwan are just not impressive in any way.

Taiwanese folk do better on vetinary tranquilisers than alcohol.

I’ve heard it happens, I just don’t understand how someone could be so starved for entertainment, you’d risk getting carted off and getting piss-tested.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]

I did in my 20s but they were so grim I just got bored. I’m a bar person. I was a teenager in the 80s/90s. Clubs in Taiwan are just not impressive in any way.

Taiwanese folk do better on vetinary tranquilisers than alcohol.

I’ve heard it happens, I just don’t understand how someone could be so starved for entertainment, you’d risk getting carted off and getting piss-tested.[/quote]

One day you will read the book, “Empathy, it’s not just for suckers.” I haven’t written it yet, but when I do, you will be getting the first copy. :discodance:

This sentence is very naughty. The Taiwanese are just a bunch of people, much like you and me.

I’m not an empathetic person. Shrug. It’s a weakness, in some ways, I admit it. I’m just not sure it affects me negatively.You’d have to write ‘Finishing shit off and pulling your thumb out of your arse Mr’ first. :bow: :raspberry:

Yes, but many Asian folk have a gene which makes them bad at metabolising alcohol. Ever been to a women’s toilet (please say ‘no’) in a club in Taiwan. Squat toilets splattered with upchucked noodles. It is nicer when those ladies sit quietly in a corner.

There are drafts of it all over my flat! One day I will write my masterpiece. :slight_smile: I love it that you know me so well.

Wankest thing I’ve heard said recently, “I could submit a book of poetry but I wouldn’t respect it.” Fuck me blind.

There are drafts of it all over my flat! One day I will write my masterpiece. :slight_smile: I love it that you know me so well.

Wankest thing I’ve heard said recently, “I could submit a book of poetry but I wouldn’t respect it.” Fuck me blind.[/quote]

Now soops tells me I lack empathy. I have had four separate lectures this weekend, from male peoples, two in person, two transcontinentally. One made me cry. All my boys seem to want me to improve as a person. I think I must have just hit a critical mass of unpleasantness in my personal conduct? ‘lazy’, ‘amoral’, ‘selfish’, ‘unfeeling’, another ‘lazy’, ‘don’t take responsibility for your own health’, ‘psychosomatic dramas’, ‘too lazy to go and get what you want in life’, ‘childish’, ‘emotionally stunted’, ‘unkind’ were some of the highlights. Another chewed me out for laughing at his TV script.

I mean, does that mean there might be something wrong with me, or are they just on their collective man-periods? It was a full moon on Friday 13th. When people criticise me, I just assume they are projecting their own insecurites, but there seemed to be a lot of very similar critiques of moi-self, coming from people who don’t even know eacthother. What am I supposed to deduce from this?

It’s pretty wank, but I kind of get it. Finishing written work is odd. It being read is a strange feeling. It’s about letting someone else into the mediatiary (yes, it’s a word) triangle. It’s not for you, it’s for me. But it’s why we do it, isn’t it? So boys think we’re clever and interesting, instead of a lazy alcoholic bit of a cunt?

Oh my god, did you just use the seaward?

I think people probably imagine you aren’t fulfilling your potential and it frustrates them. They have no potential inside themselves, but they have the capacity to see it being not fully flourished in others.

Nobody smarter than me has ever told me to try harder. It is always the cretins. That is a life lesson. The most popular people are go getters. The ‘reality’ movement is dead.

There is a Ken Bates short called, ‘A house in Bayswater.’ I fully urge you to watch that. You can find it on youtube. And for anyone else reading this, do watch it. Life is not the buttoned down shit you are told it is.

[quote=“superking”]Oh my god, did you just use the seaward?

I think people probably imagine you aren’t fulfilling your potential and it frustrates them. They have no potential inside themselves, but they have the capacity to see it being not fully flourished in others.

Nobody smarter than me has ever told me to try harder. It is always the cretins. That is a life lesson. The most popular people are go getters. The ‘reality’ movement is dead.

There is a Ken Bates short called ‘A house in Bayswater.’ I fully urge you to watch that. You can find it on youtube. And for anyone else reading this, do watch it. Life is not the buttoned down shit you are told it is.[/quote]

‘You are very creative but you need to be more dynamic’.
‘I don’t value dynamism as a trait’.
‘What do you mean, you ‘don’t value dynamism’? You’re just lazy. Lazy with your writing and lazy with your career. You aren’t even trying to make your arm better. You don’t care about anything’.
‘Do you think Amore’s would deliver south of the river at this time?’
‘You’re deflecting’
‘I’m not engaging with your dramas. That’s different.’

A few minutes later, I was in tears and my friend was shouting at this guy.

Life has been tough this last couple of years. I don’t ‘dynamically’ chase happiness and movement and light. I sit with the damage and heal. I think that’s healthier. We all need to rest. Religion has always been about going into the cave or the belly of the whale, or the underworld alone, for spiritual peace. Modern culture doesn’t recognise that.

I know I only use 4% of my brain on my job, but I need the other 96% to deal with being newly an orphan and fucking up my last relationship spectacularly, and not becoming a serial killer. I’m not going to throw myself away doing twatty stuff like publishing things, becoming a ‘team leader’ at work, and all of the other stuff people expect from me.

Every day that doesn’t involve knives is a gift.

So you’re Asperger’s? How is that not a good thing?

That no longer exists. And I don’t think it ever did in the north of England.

I’d love to somaticise my behaviour. Men, almost never women, like to point out how amazing I’d be if I weren’t such a twat all the time. But the reality is that other than common or garden depression and shitty parenting, there’s not much I can blame, other than poor impulse control and extreme selfishness.

Or maybe it’s just everybody else. The mock democracy of the hive-mind nixes the idea of ‘it actually isn’t me, it’s you (pl)’.

That no longer exists. And I don’t think it ever did in the north of England.

I’d love to somaticise my behaviour. Men, almost never women, like to point out how amazing I’d be if I weren’t such a twat all the time. But the reality is that other than common or garden depression and shitty parenting, there’s not much I can blame, other than poor impulse control and extreme selfishness.

Or maybe it’s just everybody else.[/quote]

No one really likes someone inside their head. It triggers some of the most vicious attacks and denial. I had a particularly good friend of mine as I grew up, who eventually was put in a mental institution for many years, his diagnosis was a psychopathic schizophrenic. He had an uncanny ability to see quite deeply into a person mind, but people get very afraid and defensive so I would tell him to develop a mask which he could hide his thoughts and allow people to feel more comfortable around him and while I can sympathize with his view this was a cheat, for him to integrate and be accepted in society without society rejecting him, this should have been what he should have done.

I wasn’t lying when I said you reminded me of my sister. Theres no negative association there at all, of course love her deeply and like you is working with linguistics, you perhaps more than she does. Certainly I know you are quite capable of mocking my use of the English language, something she used to love to do, and since you have never done that, I respect your refrain, it used to drive her nuts. Anyway, we never continued that discussion, but there was a question I wanted to ask. Years ago, and before she got started in her career, she went for an interview where she was grilled for hours and in the end didn’t get the job. She said, it didn’t matter how tough the question she had always had an answer, so she asked, “may I ask, why didn’t I get the job?” and they replied, “because you didn’t break”. She had thought, this was the stupidest test ever, yet to me it made perfect sense. What do you think?

I’ve alway thought that a psychopath / sociopath who admits to having a ‘mask’ is not a particularly effective -path. Or double bluffing.

When did you say that? I try not to criticise my family, even though it’s like being surrounded by talking gerbils. ‘Hahahaha! I crashed my car again!’. I don’t break either. But I did this weekend when I was drunk and my boyfriend was publicly calling me out. But he was feeling guilty for some extreme twattery and using the admirable technique of shooting up my glasshouse with an AK47 before I threw a stone at his. And seriously, he will rue the day he started that shit with me.

Yes, it’s a stupid test. It’s a job interview, not being tortured by the KGB. Why would someone ‘break’? Why would you want someone who broke anyway? But I possibly don’t have all the variables – what kind of job was it?

You are right. He was right, and they were right. Yeah, good luck in the mental institution. Being “right” is the most important thing after all.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]When did you say that? I try not to criticise my family, even though it’s like being surrounded by talking gerbils. ‘Hahahaha! I crashed my car again!’. I don’t break either. But I did this weekend when I was drunk and my boyfriend was publicly calling me out. But he was feeling guilty for some extreme twattery and using the admirable technique of shooting up my glasshouse with an AK47 before I threw a stone at his. And seriously, he will rue the day he started that shit with me.

Yes, it’s a stupid test. It’s a job interview, not being tortured by the KGB. Why would someone ‘break’? Why would you want someone who broke anyway? But I possibly don’t have all the variables – what kind of job was it?[/quote]

It relates to an ability to change your mind. To admit you are wrong, to say you don’t know. In some environments. this is essential. People who have an answer for everything, never break down, are not a plus, but a minus.

My job is very easy: I teach undergraduates. Admitting to being wrong is like smiling. It’s a way of being socially subservient which is of course vital in a group scenario. Being wrong gives your team face. If you aren’t doing anything complex, and your sister probably wasn’t at the start of her linguistics career (linguistics is not difficult) that’s the function of admitting to being wrong. How likely is it that your sister was actually wrong, in a closed, controlled, non-complex environment, being asked a lot of pre-created, facile HR questions? She was being penalised for not being slow or subservient which she was probably reading as horribly unfair, as a youngster.

Masks. She’s probably having an easier life now.

Me? No. I’m not rigid because I don’t care what other people think. People who need face and fear being wrong need to be seen as being right. It’s also a projection to say that because I may have ‘x’ tendencies, then ‘y’ will be the result. I’ve been ‘me’ a long time and I got skillz. I’m depressed sometimes but I cope, without medical help. ‘Lack of affect’ isn’t a symptom of being a psychopath – people watch too much television – or if it is, there are many other behaviours. I think it’s partly because I moved around a lot as a child, and because I was put on SSRIs as a young teen, causing brain damage. I was as crazy as I was ever going to get when I was 17. I know I’m different, but I have no internal basis for comparison and by predicting results, you are not taking all the variables into account.

Moar hive therapy plizz!

It relates to an ability to change your mind. To admit you are wrong, to say you don’t know. In some environments. this is essential. People who have an answer for everything, never break down, are not a plus, but a minus.[/quote]

Or then again, they may simply have been halfwits who thought they were being awfully clever and sciency and stuff. I’m really intrigued to know what that job was, but people wouldn’t “break” in a job interview because, frankly, it doesn’t matter that much. If you discover you’re being grilled by twats in suits who think their job is to break you, the natural reaction, surely, is to take the piss. Anyone who thinks it’s a life-and-death matter and gets all teary-eyed wants their head examined.

It’s true that many jobs involve admitting you don’t know the answers and then going away to find out; mine is like that. But that’s not “breaking”. There’s no emotional reaction involved. You just get on with what you need to do, without fuss.

Guys, Canadian kindy teachers caning ketamine, come on, stay focused.

Another big plus in a job environment, of course, is supervisors who don’t play mind games.

These days the job market is so skewed toward the employer, they’re playing all kinds of stupid mind games. “We’ll put a cup of water there on the table, and if he doesn’t throw it away, he isn’t a team player who cleans up after others!” (I am not making this up.) It would be refreshing if anyone remembered to ask about the ability to do the fecking job in the first place.

[quote=“Ermintrude”]
Me? No. I’m not rigid because I don’t care what other people think. People who need face and fear being wrong need to be seen as being right. It’s also a projection to say that because I may have ‘x’ tendencies, then ‘y’ will be the result. [/quote]

Not you, actually I can’t remember the job my sis was going for, sorry to disappoint. My comment was more along the lines of what i was telling my friend, who at the time would have been late teens. He was right, but being right in this case was going to land him in a mental institution.

The question I suppose Im asking is if we should wear our heart on our sleeve. At least that was one part, and in answer to that, I say no. Yet at the same time I would say yes, to people who you really know and trust. Its a horrible balance. Im not a believer in one size fits all.

[quote=“Mick”][quote=“Ermintrude”]
Me? No. I’m not rigid because I don’t care what other people think. People who need face and fear being wrong need to be seen as being right. It’s also a projection to say that because I may have ‘x’ tendencies, then ‘y’ will be the result. [/quote]

Not you, actually I can’t remember the job my sis was going for, sorry to disappoint. My comment was more along the lines of what I was telling my friend, who at the time would have been late teens. He was right, but being right in this case was going to land him in a mental institution.

The question I suppose Im asking is if we should wear our heart on our sleeve. At least that was one part, and in answer to that, I say no. Yet at the same time I would say yes, to people who you really know and trust. Its a horrible balance. Im not a believer in one size fits all.[/quote]

You remembered all that but not the job? What’s wrong with you? Seriously? Half an anecdote?

No. Yes. ‘Wearing your heart on your sleeve’ is a set of behaviours and is a deeply cynical thing to do, in most situations. A measured emotional quid pro quo which by nature isn’t ‘emotional’. I’m more truthful with my close friends, obviously. Aren’t we all?

[quote=“Ermintrude”]
I’d love to somaticise my behaviour. Men, almost never women, like to point out how amazing I’d be if I weren’t such a twat all the time.[/quote]

What the jeez?
I always thought you were amazing because you’re such a twat all the time!?

What does that say about me??? :snivel: