Taiwan Food Diaries - Quarantine Hotel Edition

I arrived in Taiwan last Saturday and am currently in a quarantine hotel in Kaohsiung. I opted out of the hotel meals, so I rely on Uber Eats and Foodpanda to keep me fed. Unfortunately, I had a rocky start with Uber Eats: after paying my first order with an US-issued card, I tried to place another order for a Taipei delivery, and was rejected… (I could see why it looked suspicious.) Since then, I have been unable to pay with any of my US-issued credit cards. I contacted their Customer Support, and they wanted me to send photos of my ID and the credit card via e-mail (No way! One would think a company like Uber would have a more secure way of sharing sensitive information). Luckily, I have a debit card from the Taiwan Post office, so I won’t starve…

Anyway, here is my quarantine food diary - Uber Eats edition
(Disclaimer: I only eat when I am hungry, which is often fewer than 3 times a day. Also, I had fruits, drinks, instant noodles, and snacks delivered from Carrefour, so I won’t be getting deliveries for every meal.)

Day 1 Dinner

This is a very ‘Taike’ meal: it includes Braised Pork Rice (North: 魯肉飯, South: 肉燥飯), Turkey Rice ( 火雞肉飯), Braised Pork Intestines (滷大腸), Boiled Pork Belly with Garlic Sauce (蒜泥白肉), Braised Cabbage (白菜滷), Braised Egg (滷蛋), leafy greens, and miso soup ( 味噌湯).

Cost: NT$73 plus tip (with a promotion code and the new member promotion of 30-day free deliveries. It would have been NT$150 plus tip without the promotions: NT$120 for the food.)

Day 2 Breakfast

Soup dumplings (小籠湯包) and a huge chive pocket (韭菜盒)

Cost: NT$95 plus tip (with a promotion code and the free delivery. It would have been NT$140 plus tip without the promotions: NT$125 for the food.)

Day 2 Dinner

Taiwanese Nabayaki noodles (鍋燒意麵) and blanched yam leaves (燙地瓜葉).

Cost: NT$95 plus tip (with a promotion code and the free delivery. It would have been NT$140 plus tip without the promotions: NT$125 for the food.)

Day 3 Lunch

Spicy Pork Bulgogi Rice Bowl ( 辣味韓式烤肉飯)

Cost: NT$109 plus tip (No more promotion codes… It would have been NT$139 plus tip with delivery fee.)

5 Likes

You really know how to spoil yourself.

2 Likes

Just be sure you know how to safely polish the bishop ( eh? @finley )

1 Like

I know this thread is Taiwan Food Diaries, but where are pics of ya booze?

2 Likes

Why are you paying a tip you psychopath? This is Taiwan

1 Like

When one is locked away in quarantine, one is likely to get plenty of practice, I reckon …

Pay tip if people deliver hot food under the rain in this cold. They may refuae it at first but they make measly 10 NTD on the job. Be nice. Make friends. That opens doors.

These companies should pay people properly

1 Like

Indeed. But until that happens, I’ll pitch in.

Taiwan delivery drivers already make way more than most local professions, there’s no need to tip them even more.

1 Like

Dont import American tipping lunacy to Taiwan

Of course not. But I like to voluntarily show my appreciation for a job well done, with my patronage, kind words, gifts and occasional tips. Goes a long way to ensure good service. And it is totally voluntary, not a misguided attempt to fix the holes of a faulty system.

1 Like

Lol that is horseshit. It’s only more when the delivery driver puts in ridiculous hours.

3 Likes

1 Like

I haven’t been able to find any on Uber Eats… Do you know of any places that sell booze not by the case online?

Because I appreciate that the drivers risk their lives in the Kaohsiung traffic to keep me fed and happy for pittance. :smirk_cat:

Day 3 Dinner

Oyster omelet (蚵仔煎) and Pork and Mushroom Soup ( 香菇肉羹)

Price: NT$125 (Full price: NT$140. It could have been NT$95, as I saw the NT$30 off promotion code too late).

A total bomb – it was the worst oyster omelet I have ever had – too greasy and the sauce was terrible. The soup was not much better… :grimacing:

Day 4 Breakfast

Black Pepper Teppanyaki (黑胡椒鐵板麵) and Egg Pancake with Marinated Pork (燒肉蛋餅)

Price: NT$105 (Full price: NT$150)

Another bust: the egg pancake was super greasy, and the meat did not taste fresh… The noodles were piping hot, but otherwise meh. Both had some kind of plastic/chemical taste (from the containers?!). :scream:

Day 4 Dinner

Char-siu, Roasted Duck And Chicken Rice Combo (三寶飯)

Price: NT$105 (Full price: NT$165)

Finally a tasty meal, but wish there were more vegetables (and not bean sprouts). 2.5 eggs in one day, yikes!

2 Likes

The portions are too small for me.

Wow, what bullshit.

1 Like

Day 5 Lunch

Char-siu Pork Fillet Bento (叉燒豬排飯便當) , Braised Bamboo Shoots (筍乾), and miso soup (味噌湯)

Taste: the bamboo shoots were too sweet for my taste. The meat was tender and flavorful, and the side dishes were fresh and tasty.

Price: NT$90 (Full price: NT$135)

Day 5 Dinner

Pork and Chive Soup Dumplings (韭菜湯包) and Spicy Pan-fried Pork Soup Dumplings (煎麻辣湯包)

Taste: Very flavorful and tasty when hot.

Price: NT120 (Full Price: NT$180)

Day 6 Lunch

Pad Krapow Moo (Thai Stir-fried Minced Pork with Holy Basil) Rice Bowl (泰式打拋豬肉蓋飯 ) and Egg flower soup with vegetable and tofu (蔬菜豆腐蛋花湯)

Taste: The minced pork was incredibly delicious. All the side dishes were fresh and tasty. By far the best meal!

Price: NT$70 (Full price: NT$130). Incredible bargain - the rice bowl was only NT$70. I don’t know how they make money…

Day 6 Dinner

Lu Wei/Lou Mei (滷味) , soy sauce and spice braised goodies, with bean curds (小豆干 & 蘭花干), fish cake (黑輪), seaweed (海帶), duck intestine ( nicknamed “chewing gum”, 鴨腱腸), seasonal vegetables ( 季節時蔬), and Science Noodles (科學麵).

Taste: Too salty – not a good idea for a meal (too much sodium). Probably would have been okay with a smaller portion and drinks.

Price: NT$100 (Full price: NT$145)

Day 7 Lunch

Pork and Chive Dumplings, Blanched Vegetable, and Hot and Sour Soup.

Taste: The dumplings are really good. The rest are average.

Price: NT$100 (Full price: NT$160)

Day 7 "Dinner"
My stomach was upset, probably from eating all those heavily starchy and greasy Taiwanese food, so I decided to give it a “break”… It helped!

Tofu Pudding with Grass Jelly(仙草豆花)and Fruit Platter (綜合水果切盤 ) with watermelon, pineapple, papaya, kiwi, dragon fruit, wax apple, guava, cherry tomatoes, banana, honeydew, and plum powder in a small pouch).

Price: NT$85 (Full price: NT$130)

Day 8 Brunch
I hardly ever eat fast food in the States, but it was a Sunday, and I wanted a break from all that Taiwanese food…

New Orleans Chicken Drumstick Burger, fried chicken wing, 4 chicken nuggets, popcorn chicken, Portuguese Egg Tart, and Pepsi (紐奧良烤雞腿堡套餐)

Taste: This was the first time I had the KFC Portuguese Egg Tart. I am a fan now!

Price: NT$118 (Full price: NT$218)

Day 8 Dinner

Shaved Noodles with Wontons and Braised Pork(肉燥餛飩乾拌刀削麵) blanched greens (燙青菜), and Pork Ball Soup (貢丸湯)

Taste: Below average. Also too greasy and too much MSG!!! I am not used to the Southern-Taiwanese style food where every dish tastes sweet.

Price: NT$105 (Full price: NT$189)

3 Likes

These 10 small strawberries (110g/0.24lb) cost NT$149 (US$5.23), so it was $21 USD per lb… However, they were super delicious! Strawberries in the U.S. are big but insipid.

1 Like

Wash them three times…