Taiwan for 1 Year - Public School?

do you mean public elementary school and attached kindergarten?

Public kindergarten might be harder than elementary school to put your kid in, depending on school districts. You might end up to put your younger in a private kinder.

If your kids are in Chinese immersion school now, they may not need a CSL program.

Yes, that’s the school that I want to send our kids to actually. I have heard lots about the program and that’s actually the area that we want to live in. I used to teach English there over a decade ago.

My kids are both very outgoing - especially my 5 year old. She will talk to anyone that engages her. We don’t plan on staying more than a year so I don’t have to think about middle school there. We are hoping the one year in Taiwan will further solidify her Mandarin and have her experience another cultural (which is itself educational).

:slight_smile:

@Bimmerjeff can you share the enrollment process? Would really love to get the process started for my kids. Thank you!

Fyi

If you read Chinese,

"1. 派外人員及僑生來臺就讀國小,如何申請?可以進額滿學校嗎?

答:依本市新生分發及入學辦法,上述人員子女符合「政府派赴國外工作人員子女返國入學辦法」或「僑生回國就學及輔導辦法」規定者,得依其志願分發至國民小學就讀,不受學區限制。但於5月1日以後申請者,不得選填進入額滿學校。

2. 自國外回來之外國籍學童,應如何申請就讀公立國小,要到那裡辦理?

答:依教育部訂頒「外國學生來臺就學辦法」,應檢送外僑(外籍)國小適齡兒童入學申請書及外僑(外籍)居留證影本,依學童居留證之地址逕向其學區學校申請辦理轉入學。"

Go to the military, it’ll be fun!

We visited Xinsheng in person and spoke with an administrator, sorry I don’t have her name, but she speaks decent English (probably why they referred us to her via phone). Anyway, she showed us a form (in Chinese), which we were told is available at all other Taipei schools as well just ask. I think someone posted a link to this in another thread here, search “Xinsheng”. You first must enroll your child at your local school, assigned to your apartment. Then, ask for this form and complete it to transfer your child to the 2-year “CSL” program at Xinsheng. Do this early, as they only allow I believe 20 CSL spots to foreigners. She said that 1-2nd grade is normally not full, but 3rd+ can fill up at times. I didn’t ask if an ARC is required before enrolling, or if foreigners can use the child’s passport. I’ve seen comments on both sides of this issue on the forum but forgot to ask her doh! Hope this helps.

@p0key - I know it’s been 10+ years since you taught at Xinsheng, but do you have any comments good or bad about the school environment there? My first impression was not as good as I had hoped given the school’s appartent status in Taipei. It seemed to be poorly maintained, facility-wise. The admin we dealt with was nice and helpful though.

just a note. Iirc, to go by this root, kids should take a test to show their poor mandarin skills. Kids in immersion programs might not pass the test.