Taiwan, going from bad to worse

Recently my wife has been looking for a standard office job after some time off after medical problems from stress from being overworked from previous job. Let’s be clear though, when it comes to interviews, confidence and presentation etc. my wife would be better able to handle herself than most women here.

These are questions and statements at her interviews…
‘You got married, when will you have kids, hmmm?’
‘How much do want, oh 37,000 (heavy international sales job), we will be in touch’ (first question of interview, no more questions)
‘You know the economy is bad, we can find somebody cheaper in China’ (half of interviews)
‘The economy is not good, you are married, I guess you can accept less than 30k’ (less than when she graduated with no experience)

She also told me almost all the big IT companies are not even advertising positions like they used to and that the international companies will only consider you (if they have a position even) if you have been able to study abroad (thereby limiting positions to people from well-off families.

This country is eating itself inside out. Taiwanese business people and managers are completely exploiting workers and women in general. At the same time they are killing their own economy and future as the birth rate drops to the lowest in the world and regular people have no hope unless from a rich family or working in the government. I’ve really had it with this country, we might stick around through all the other political crap if I thought we had an economic future but it looks like even that crutch is totally broken. The work system sucks, the economy sucks, the politics suck, the education sucks, the pollution is the same as ever, what’s the point.

HeadhonchoII,
Sorry to hear about your wife’s difficulties hunting for a job. I’ve been hearing similar stories for a while. Taiwan is not the economic powerhouse it once was, that’s for sure, nor the attractive money-making destination for foreigners it used to be.

Given the current global economic climate I am not surprised, however I don’t think it’s a Taiwanese thing. We are entering a global recession, and good jobs will be scarce for some time. The ones in them won’t quit unless forced, and only few new good paying positions will come up.

Yeah, there might be a global downturn occurring, but I can imagine it being particularly unpleasant when dealing with Taiwanese ‘laobans’ today. I believe that it’s every bit as bad as you say, and more so. I got lucky, and luck is needed, as Almas John stated.

You’re married to a local girl, as am I. You might consider giving yer gal baby -something she can occupy herself with besides work- and you can pick up extra hours around town as your visa is thru your marriage, not an employer. At the end of the day, a baby will be on the way, extra cash will be rolling in, and if worse comes to worse, a few years down the road, no one will get on your ass for busting out to Kathmandu or Hanoi or Palawan or Sumatra for a couple of weeks; it will be well-deserved and hopefully encouraged…at least that’s where I am.

Yeah, there might be a global downturn occurring, but I can imagine it being particularly unpleasant when dealing with Taiwanese ‘laobans’ today. I believe that it’s every bit as bad as you say, and more so. I got lucky, and luck is needed, as Almas John stated.

You’re married to a local girl, as am I. You might consider giving yer gal baby -something she can occupy herself with besides work- and you can pick up extra hours around town as your visa is thru your marriage, not an employer. At the end of the day, a baby will be on the way, extra cash will be rolling in, and if worse comes to worse, a few years down the road, no one will get on your ass for busting out to Kathmandu or Hanoi or Palawan or Sumatra for a couple of weeks; it will be well-deserved and hopefully encouraged…at least that’s where I am.

The chickens of Bush’s economic policy are coming home to roost.

I was angered at the casual misogyny, rather than the economic certainties that were displayed. It’s more subtle in the UK.

Sorry your wife has to suck that up.

That’s damn depressing.

Sometimes I feel like at least us somewhat experienced ESL teachers have some security in our wages and positions in that the richest parents here will always stay rich, which makes the top rate buxibans retain their financial solvency, which maintains our at least decent(by Taiwan standards) pay.

The thing that gets me is that even with all of this recent inflation, wages still aren’t rising in pretty much any sector of the economy… especially ESL.

It’s damn depressing to think that I’ve reached a peak and I’ll never be making more unless I drastically change my career.

As for your wife’s situation… maybe starting a small business would be a good solution? One of my Taiwanese co-workers quit to open up a drink stand and is apparently doing pretty well. Who would have thought that a night-market drink stand laoban would make 10K more than an educated and experienced office worker?

I agree with what everyone has said here, and I think it’s only going to get worse. Everywhere, not just in Taiwan. I think the next five to ten years is going to be really tough, especially if your only source of income is a monthly wage.

Robert Kiyosaki (Rich dad, Poor dad) warned that this was going to happen.

I thought wages as a general hasn’t gone up here for something like the last 5-10 years anyhow, or?
I’m also job hunting at the moment and I don’t even get any replies, at least she’s gone for interviews for a few jobs.
My girlfriend was headhunted twice for the same position, yet she never got further than the interview, makes you wonder…
Luckily she’s got a good job as it is, but I need to sort something out ASAP and if what you guys are saying really is true, then it sounds like I’m out of luck :frowning:

Sir, I don’t believe that this is a new situation, and that in Taiwan men have dominated women in the workplace from long before this global fudge up began.

Your wife needs to go to an interview with an attitude. Demand a certain salary, don’t take no for an answer, and pistol whip those mysognistic dick wads who control Taiwanese businesses. The questions they ask are designed to break her down. She needs to act indignantly to dumbarse questions. Treat shit like shit. Thats what those fools respect.

Give em hell Bucky!

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]Sir, I don’t believe that this is a new situation, and that in Taiwan men have dominated women in the workplace from long before this global fudge up began.

Your wife needs to go to an interview with an attitude. Demand a certain salary, don’t take no for an answer, and pistol whip those mysognistic dick wads who control Taiwanese businesses. The questions they ask are designed to break her down. She needs to act indignantly to dumbarse questions. Treat shit like shit. Thats what those fools respect.

Give em hell Bucky![/quote]

yeah right that’ll work…not

Mike wrote: [quote]Your wife needs to go to an interview with an attitude. Demand a certain salary, don’t take no for an answer, and pistol whip those mysognistic dick wads who control Taiwanese businesses. The questions they ask are designed to break her down. She needs to act indignantly to dumbarse questions. Treat shit like shit. Thats what those fools respect.[/quote]
Ha ha ha ha. What shocking advice!!! How old are you?

[quote=“mike_rophonechecker”]Sir, I don’t believe that this is a new situation, and that in Taiwan men have dominated women in the workplace from long before this global fudge up began.

Give em hell Bucky![/quote]

Trouble is, they’re not looking for someone to respect, they’re looking for the person willing to take the most shite for the least pay… chances are, they don’t deserve anyone with any self respect or good ideas.

Nemesis, well met.

To the bear: I know of several Taiwanese women who grew tired of all the indignant, impertinent questions thrown at them during interviews. In each case the job they have been given has been when they have grown weary and adopted a ‘give me this job, at this salary, or stop wasting my time,’ approach. It does work. If you are worth something then ask for it. It does no good to be weak in these situations. If they break you at the interview they will continue to break you.

That you have no experience in this matter should not cause you to mock, but to think.

Almas John. Sir, I am 30 something. Age is of little consequence to logic.

Mike wrote: [quote]Sir, I am 30 something.[/quote]
Please don’t call me “Sir.” I’m a burnt-out heavy-drinking ESL loooser who does not deserve such a respectful term of address. Thanks.

Please don’t call me “Sir.” I’m a burnt-out heavy-drinking ESL loooser who does not deserve such a respectful term of address. Thanks.[/quote]

Mr John, which is your preferred honorific or nomenclature?

I am sure you have many fine qualities, and we would all fair well from seeing them.

Brave Lad there…and still strangely formal.

Brave Lad there…and still strangely formal.[/quote]

Self edited for trolling.

My advice to the OP and others of similar situation is to find a new expat startup company who need customer relations handled by a local. Use your country’s chamber of commerce in Taipei, Taichung, etc., to track who’s got a new venture, or a growing expat venture. That way, the boss probably won’t be a misogynist.