Taiwan has the right to self determination

Still, Taiwan would have to stop using words like “China” and “Chinese” before I start objecting to it too much, tbh.

3 Likes

your choice

I won’t be offended until they do all that and give everything from China in the National Palace Museum back to China, then change the name of the museum.

They were an “extremist” group that defined Taiwan should belong to the US.

I used quotes because it doesn’t seem that they used violence.

Drop everything and it would instantly loose overseas Chinese (華僑) support :rofl:

Actually China is part of the ROC. Not the other way around. The PRC is a rogue communist ‘state’.

1 Like

+1

He has a point for all the rightful bitching about China not allowing us to change the official name of the country or the airline to Taiwan, there are thousands of other names that could be easily changed such as, sports leagues, banks, universities, the list goes on, that aren’t.

2 Likes

Why should Taiwan give it back? Taiwan saved these things from their destruction from the cultural revolution. They’re Taiwan’s, they didn’t want them.

All this talk about China…

How about we call the other side Chinese Peking and this side Chinese Taipei? That would make more sense.

As to whether Taiwan is being part of China or China being part of the ROC, I would look at the current constitution of the ROC and go from there.

Unless there is a declaration of independence and Taiwan is officially accepted as a sovereign nation by major countries around the globe, nothing has changed really.

Everything else is wishful thinking. Including saying that the people in Taiwan are not Chinese. People in Singapore are Chinese, people in China towns around the world are Chinese, none of them living under CCP rule. What if mainland China’s political system changed to a multi-party system and the CCP loses power? Wouldn’t the people living in Taiwan want to be part of that?

The way I see it, since 1945, there has been one big China and there are two governments, each controlling part of it. This will only change by a peaceful mutual agreement or the result of a military conflict.

OK, what am I missing? Hit me.

1 Like

Because you’ll piss 2/3 of Taiwan off. Taiwan is a country named Taiwan in the hearts and minds of most of it’s people and that why China will lose the peace even if they win the war. Taiwan identity is the order of the day. Most consider themselves a separate culture or even race.

Taiwan saved it? Is CKS retroactively Taiwan now? They saved it, and they used the value as collateral to make themselves rich. China has always considered it stolen property. The point is that they are artifacts of Chinese culture, not a part of the separate identity many in Taiwan currently claim.

Finally! Someone who can help express what I’ve been saying all along! :laughing:

They should be sold and the money should be given to those prosecuted by the Chinese occupation.

I highly doubt that this is the case. Like I said, if the political system in mainland China was different, do you believe the people living in Taiwan would not wish to be part of a democratic and prospering China? Millions of Taiwanese have absolutely no problem going to China for business, study, and what not, integrating seamlessly. It’s just the political system that is not desirable.

1 Like

You were right. Things have changed beyond the point of no return imho.

Things have changed a lot since 1989.

It is part of Taiwan now. So many countries have artifacts stolen or changed hands.

No country’s history is clean or neat. It’s all been tumultuous.

Should Italy claim things from France because France once controlled part of our land?

Can’t steal what is already yours. The PRC is a foreign invading ideology.

Do Americans want to rejoin Canada because Canada is now peaceful and democratic?

Do those two want to rejoin the UK for the same reasons?

Do Hawaiians wish to separate from the US?

I dunno. Do they?

It’s oversimplified to imply that Taiwan would overwhelmingly wish to unite with China due to political systems, especially on how both cultures have diverged greatly.