Taiwan health check in the UK

Hello,

I’ve been offered an English teaching job in Taiwan and the school are currently applying for my work permit so I can then apply for the special entry visa.
I’m told I need to pass the health check in order for them to apply for the work permit. In the past I have always done the health check in Taipei so I’m wondering what my options are for getting it done in the UK and whether I do infact need to. Anyone had any recent experience with this or any recommendations? Thanks

I’d like a reply to this also, the health check is intensive would cost a lot in U.K. would take forever to get appointed.
Edited:
I have work permit health check for visa is what I’m not sure about.

Hi mate, hope all went well and ya got your visa sorted, any update on how you got on? I’m interested in knowing more information on getting a health check in the UK for the TW work visa.

Had a few delays and I’m still waiting on the work permit to be processed so I still don’t know. The boss of the school in Taiwan said he’d checked and that it would be okay for me to do the health check once I’m in Taiwan. I’m going to call the embassy once I’ve got the work permit and clarify whether this is the case. I’ll let you know what I find out

Sorry to hear about the delays, must be painstaking being stuck in the limbo stage. Where the delays caused by anything that could be avoided and I should know about to avoid it happening to me or what it due to personal reasons?

Interesting that you may be able to do it in Taiwan, I’ve looked online and it seems some private clinics offer the healthcheck for around £300, which is a bit steep… I’d appreciate you updating once your permit is sorted, hopefully soon.

The delays were just me not being better organised.
Yeah I’d seen private clinics charging similar prices in the UK. The health check form on the embassy’s website is the more in depth one for people coming from other Asian countries. In Taiwan, English teachers basically just need the blood test, chest x ray and general check up and it costs significantly less, under $2000NT if I remember correctly. Anyway, I’ll post again when I know more

1 Like

Just confirmed with the MOFA that health checks are not required for the visa application. Happy days!

2 Likes

Appreciate the update! So, just to be clear, no health check for the visa but one is needed for the work permit? My apologies if the info is clearly out there, I’m a bit confused, no one in my family has ever applied for a visa so it’s a foreign experience for me.

No worries, it is quite confusing. Your school will need to apply for a work permit for you - they will need photos and scans of documents and stuff to do this but not the health check. The health check you will need to do once you’re in Taiwan but it’s cheap and easy to do there so it’s nothing to worry about. Hope that helps

1 Like

Couldn’t have made it any clearer, legend. I’ll buy you a beer when we’re both in Taiwan :wink: :joy:

1 Like

:beers:

1 Like

Blood test ? For what ?

I don’t know

Evening mate, just replying because I got curious about what documents are needed for the whole process so I know what to deal with

I’m U.K. have a visa no health check needed

sorry mate, I was a bit too vague, I meant for the whole work permit/visa process. Just didn’t want to create a new thread for it. I’ve read some things online for the documentation but idk how accurate those are so I’d rather get it from a primary source

The work permit is handled by the school. All the visa information is here:

https://www.taiwanembassy.org/uk_en/post/3831.html

The bit about proof of financial support and the health check are not applicable. That’s it.

1 Like

Perfect, that’s the website I mentioned I looked at but wasn’t too sure how up to date it was. Appreciate that mate.
Just one more question and I’ll stop harassing you, when mentioning Flight tickets it says “Flight itinerary/reservation must include the applicant’s name and the dates of arrival and departure from Taiwan.” I’m assuming you don’t need to have a departure ticket or am I wrong?

Ha, that’s okay, harass away! I don’t know about that but I guess you might be right. I’d recommend calling the office to confirm these things, they’re pretty helpful and there aren’t long waits

Aye, I’ll ring once I’m close to starting the process. If they do need one I would just assume you could buy the cheapest flight out of Taiwan for after the visa is supposed to end since it doesn’t specify you need to return home, just leave Taiwan.

Just outta curiosity, are you fortunate enough that your school is paying for your quarantine or is that burden on you?