Taiwan in SF area (from Reason to move to Taiwan)

OP, I’m in SF, too. Only driven through the Sunset district but seems like the Richmond district, bunch of old school Toisan Chinese.

Anyway, the Chinese in SF are not like the Taiwanese in Taiwan. Taiwan is very different. Do you have any TW friends in SF? Btw, none of the TW restaurants in SF that claim to be Taiwanese are really Taiwanese, if you get my drift. I’m still longing for the right chou dofu.

If you go to Taiwan with an open mind (“optimism” helps, but then you’ll be disappointed more often, so go with an open mind, it’s less disappointment), you will have a great time.

I think you will really enjoy the country. But don’t expect it easy to make BFFs. It’s the same everywhere - the older you get, the more work you need to put in to break into an established group of friends.

Have you tried “Spices”? There are two locations just off Clement St. My Taiwanese friends took me there before we moved to Taiwan, I think specifically to have their stinky tofu. They say the food is pretty authentic.

[quote=“914”]OP, I’m in SF, too. Only driven through the Sunset district but seems like the Richmond district, bunch of old school Toisan Chinese.

Anyway, the Chinese in SF are not like the Taiwanese in Taiwan. Taiwan is very different. Do you have any TW friends in SF? Btw, none of the TW restaurants in SF that claim to be Taiwanese are really Taiwanese, if you get my drift. I’m still longing for the right chou dofu.

If you go to Taiwan with an open mind (“optimism” helps, but then you’ll be disappointed more often, so go with an open mind, it’s less disappointment), you will have a great time.

I think you will really enjoy the country. But don’t expect it easy to make BFFs. It’s the same everywhere - the older you get, the more work you need to put in to break into an established group of friends.[/quote]

There used to be a couple of places in Milpitas that are pretty authentic IMO, just expensive compared to how much you’d pay for the stuff in Taiwan. But then I guess South Bay really isn’t SF.

[quote=“914”]OP, I’m in SF, too. Only driven through the Sunset district but seems like the Richmond district, bunch of old school Toisan Chinese.

I think you will really enjoy the country. But don’t expect it easy to make BFFs. It’s the same everywhere - the older you get, the more work you need to put in to break into an established group of friends.[/quote]

Hi 914!

Thanks for the post. Its always nice to meet other “locals” :slight_smile: And yes I do have a couple of friends from Taiwan including a coworker. I can definitely see differences…but only good ones :slight_smile: I definitely am open minded which is the reason I moved to San francisco from texas in the first place :slight_smile:

I moved here with a bag of clothes and only 300 dollars NO job and nobody that I ever knew here. Just someone I met online to stay with for awhile. Been here 3 years…things certainly worked out for me :slight_smile: And I also appreciate your last comment…it reminds me of the I love you man movie. Thanks again!

[quote=“catfish13”][quote=“914”]OP, I’m in SF, too. Only driven through the Sunset district but seems like the Richmond district, bunch of old school Toisan Chinese.

There used to be a couple of places in Milpitas that are pretty authentic IMO, just expensive compared to how much you’d pay for the stuff in Taiwan. But then I guess South Bay really isn’t SF.[/quote]

Thing is the bay area is pretty doggone large. Its just bout 1/4 the size of Taiwan island. Iv been here ten years and I dont think I have EVER been to Milpitas?

I have heard there are a few TAiwanese restaurants there, but its a hecka long drive there and back just to grab something to eat? Thats like 2 and a half hours of driving from my usual hangouts there and back? Aint hardly worth it.

Milpitas is aight. I wouldn’t drive there to eat mediocre Taiwanese food though (though it’s still the best city in the bay area for it, I think). I’d just save and fly to Taiwan to eat the authentic stuff.

I have been playing around with recipes going by taste and have come up with some pretty good stuff, so that keeps me busy in the kitchen.

I did not like Spices. Wasn’t my bowl of noodles, so to speak.

Freethinker83 - I hope you enjoy some local TW food! Have an open mind and embrace the stinky tofu!