Taiwan inching towards mainland China

Scientists discovered that Taiwan is slowly moving geographically towards mainland China. Taiwan is calculated to bump into the mainland around 1.5 million years.

Too bad Taiwan is not moving in the opposite direction across the Pacific.

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003321701

So unification is inevitable. :laughing:

I predict this world will not exist in 1.5 million years.
Probably not 1.4 either.

[quote=“Josefus”]I predict this world will not exist in 1.5 million years.
Probably not 1.4 either.[/quote]
How much do you wanna bet?

[quote=“Josefus”]I predict this world will not exist in 1.5 million years.
Probably not 1.4 either.[/quote]

why not? where is it supposed to go? back home?

josefus,

this world will probably be here way beyond 1.5 million years. the sun is predicted to burn out in another 5 billion years. billion.,

humans, on the other hand, may not (and maybe that’s what you were referring too??).

just because humans will be gone does not mean the planet will cease to exist.

we humans can do a lot of superficial damage and stink things up a lot, but overall, the planet is far better equiped to continue after we are a blip in history. we will be a mere eye blink in the overall history of the earth. we don’t steer the ship, we simply reside in a crack in a board in the hull of the ship.

anyway, wow, plate tectonics.

look at india. the himalayas wouldn’t exist if the sub-continent of india didn’t smash into southern asia so many million years ago.

wow, taiwan is moving??

oooh, we are all moving baby, we all ride on crust floating on a liquid mantle. remember pangea??

the only constant is change.

jm

No, baby. That was before my time.

remember the concept sweet cheeks?

remember the theory darling?

once upon a time all the present day continents were one big, huge mass of land.

as the liquid nickle and iron core heated the surface the great pangea spread it’s mighty thighs and became/ and is becoming the planet we now know.

the heat from beneath keeps cooking from below, causing the crust on which we exist to float and shift. ooh baby. so much heat, i can hardly stand it. cook me, steam me, you beast from within.

we are all like rudolph, floating on much bigger pieces of terra firma.

My guess … the communists tied a rope on Taiwan (they have submarines you know) and are pulling Taiwan in … the commies have enough time on hand they think, have everything under control and are patient … why attack Taiwan when one rope can do the trick … a rope is not a WMD, so noone will take action … :laughing:

if there are no humans, who will be there to see if the planet still exists…

don’t know the definition of existence, but I think there has to be an observer, right? :wink:

[quote=“hannes”]
if there are no humans, who will be there to see if the planet still exists…[/quote]Who knows, maybe once we are gone some intelligent life will evolve. Stranger things have happened…

I just wanted to point out that without a human being [us] around existence of anything is rather meaningless…

Meaningless to us perhaps, but not to other things that may inhabit this earth. Or to the aliens which may land here one day in the future and see how funny Black Adder was.

There is no such thing as the Taiwan Strait, it’s a fictional political construct invented by the DPP to show that Taiwan seperated from China, has anyone actually see this “strait” ?

uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Taiwan
uncyclopedia.org/wiki/One_Asia_Policy

No, baby. That was before my time.[/quote]
1975? You’re younger than I thought.

No, baby. That was before my time.[/quote]
1975? You’re younger than I thought.[/quote]
Oops, I forgot 1975 was late Triassic when Pangaea started to break up. I was around, but I must’ve missed it. I was probably preoccupied listening to Bohemian Rhapsody. Is this the real life, is this just fantasy, caught in a landslide…

In 1.5 million years we will already have killed ourselves off with global warming. And my guess is that humans will disappear long before the sun burns out, because the chances of the Earth getting hit by an asteroid or comet within a few million years is pretty high. That’s nothing compared to the billions of years it takes for the sun to burn out.

We can already theoretically change the trajectory of asteroids and global warming may not be as difficult to live with as some suggest.

Nasty pulse wave thingies from the sun though - well, that’s another story.

I reckon we will still be around in 1.5 million years time, in one form or another - perhaps not on this earth.