Taiwan Independence: Realistically, how?

The strategy for gaining independence is:

1. Be thoroughly independent-minded. If you don’t grasp the importance of this, there’s no hope.

2. Either economic self-sufficiency or a very wide range of trading partners. Only one of these is a realistic option for Taiwan.

3. Build up your military defense in every way. Some may say it’s obvious, but really, #1 and #2 above must come first or it won’t work.

4. Refuse to give an inch.

5. Meet whatever comes with forceful resolve.

In summary: the way to gain independence is to be of an independent nature.

I’m going to throw one out there that’s I don’t think it’s be said. Let China’s ambition of returning to the great 4000 year old empire and try to compete with the US in military expansion and spending. Let them get in their own stupid wars which I don’t think is out of the question with China’s own ambitions. Declare independence during that time when it’s too costly to deal with Taiwan.

Agreed

A retired general once said, just shut up, keep it low-key, and get whatever needs to get done for independence.

Well, since Taiwanese nowadays are just too lazy to get anything done(civilians not armed, got rid of court martial and compulsory military, too scared to develop nuke program), it’s probably the best strategy to keep fingers crossed for communist China to descend into some sort of civil war.

Maybe Islam uyghurs are going to team up with IS and we’ll see Islam vs communism🤔?

Declarations mean nothing. Any jackass can declare independence.

The point is to BE independent. And Taiwan will have an easier time developing their independence if they can keep a low profile about it. If they do it right, when Taiwan is independent China will be the second-to-last to know. (The UN will be the last to know.)

When you can present your would-be dominator with such a fait accompli and get away with it, then you will have attained independence.

And the Chinese navy will rest at the bottom of Taiwan Strait.

A brutal state that will crush any dissidents like the CCP is exactly the condition where isis couldn’t have happened. So I don’t think so, but one can dream. Isis really just hates western civilization imo, not about Islam if you get to the core in a lot of talks I’ve seen from people way smarter than me.

Well remembered. I actually wore the headband marching from Gongguan all the way down Chungshan N. Rd. Only time I’ve marched in my life.

1 Like

Yet another Taiwan election behind us. Are we any closer to TI now? I think we’re even further away. Especially with rejection of Ref Prop #13 and Tsai’s election tactic to paint KMT candidates as pro PRC a complete failure. That tactic used to work for the DPP (抹紅).

The DPP haven’t been pushing independence in ages.

1 Like

North Korea 1000 times more likely to reunite with South Korea than for Taiwan to even have a referendum pass to change its Olympic team name to Taiwan. Ohh…
This subject is DOA.

Well, its still in their party charter. They may not be actively pushing for it now but TI is in DPP’s DNA. Its the one defining issue that separates the DPP and KMT, especially during election for President and legislature.

Also, Premier Lai just a few months ago said he was a “Taiwan independence worker” - 台獨工作者.

If this is DOA, how will Taiwan voters ever have the guts to change the constitution and give birth to the “Republic of Taiwan”? But that was what many forumosans were clamoring for, at least 10, 15, 20 years ago when the Taiwan Politics forum was much more heated than it is now.

C’mon. Taiwan’s bark about independence is worse than its bite.
Can’t even pass the Olympic name change referendum. Weaklings.
ChiComms are laughing at Taiwan as they deserve to. (note: i dislike ChiComms)

C’mon. Forumosan’s bark about independence is worse than its bite.
Can’t even pass the Olympic name change referendum. Weaklings.
ChiComms are laughing at Forumosans as they deserve to. (note: i like Forumosans)

dat be true, too! ha

I’ve spoken to many people about it and it comes down to pragmatism about money. They said at first everyone was against China and then China turned off the money taps as punishment and now that it’s hitting everyone’s pocketbooks they want to deal with China again

China 1 Taiwan 0
They just need to outwait Taiwan

2 Likes

Totally agree. But its a pendulum, it will swing back. Remember the Sunflower movement during Ma’s time? I mean, people will once again take PRC’s money for granted and try to push the needle back the other way. However, even with those swings, the longer-term overall direction may still be headed in one direction as opposed to the other (eventual unification vs formal independence). Which one it is - that’s certainly debatable.

Agreesd, it was very weak sauce that they didn’t even vote for a name change for the Olympics.

I thought it was a waste of time as well but if they really want to be more independent that’s the first thing they should have done.

That is something I do not understand, such glee in engaging with China. When China takes over, that wil be the end of property especulation, market protection, stock market investments, all the stuff the elite and middle class lives on. They are not that myopic, are they?

1 Like

Loads of people in Taiwan are waiting for the China political dividend like in Hong Kong …To boost the prices of all this properties especially if they allow Chinese to live and invest and work here en masse. I have heard people mention this in the office though not in those exact words.

Talk to anybody in the real estate industry. Or the local waisheng ama in your neighborhood. They talk about nothing else. “So that Taiwan can become a real treasure island”.