Taiwan Independence: Realistically, how?

Talk to anybody in the real estate industry. Or the local waisheng ama in your neighborhood. They talk about nothing else. “So that Taiwan can become a real treasure island”.

The thing is that the conditions will be different for Taiwan. Chinese will not buy what they can take over. Ask the KMT guys how much they paid for the factories, teh properties, etc., they took over from the Japanese citizens and government and all the Taiwanese that had something they coveted? Same will happen again.

Yep this person is also waisheng. I think a lot of waishengren think Taiwan has maxed out it’s potential as an ATM so why not ‘join with the motherland’ to get more cash now.
A lot of these amas are totally money obsessedn(bentu and waisheng) I hear them talking beside me in the coffee shops.

Fuck them if they want to live in a police state is all I can say. China is a disaster right now NO freedoms !

Agree. My friend has invested in 18 high end properties in Taichung, hoping for just that. What i can not understand, is that they are all empty, with some costing high Management fees …it makes no sense, unless the values double. Eventually , the Chinese will come, is their belief.

Yep property valuations would make no sense otherwise…without this in their calculations .

1 Like

See… I don’t quite understand this. Why would changing your name on the international stage be “the first thing” that should be done? Shouldn’t they first figure out what they themselves want to be called before they try to get the international community to call them something? Until I see “Taiwan” on the government buildings, police stations, post offices, etc. domestically, I don’t think I’m going to have much sympathy for them trying to get the rest of the world to officially call them Taiwan.

People forget the ones who starved to death asked for the CCP to take power. And the ones in the gulags stood there cheering for the Bolsheviks to overthrow the government.

After Stalin took over he killed many of the best bolshevik officers.
First thing every morning he’d sit down with his coffee and sign death warrants for dozens of people.

Yep they should be careful wait they wish for.

1 Like

Before the SS, there was the SA. Hitler took his best officers in SA and shot them before his party took power. People are foolish to think welcoming the CCP will bring prosperity.

Taiwanese people are extremely ignorant of history. Anyone who read enough can see how this plays out, how it always played out.

Yes. They’ll sell the island down the river for a good price. That’s why they keep sending the kids overseas. Foreign passports mean they can just walk out when the shit hits the fan.

By the far the biggest change in my 30 years in Taiwan is the hideous numbers of ABC/TBA etc. hanging around Taipei spending daddy’s money (all earned from real estate speculation). This is a generation with zero stake in Taiwan’s future.

Interesting, I didn’t know this demographic is that big. I would have thought such people would have mostly stayed abroad and not come back to Taiwan. If they’re still students & just back for summer vacation, then that’s another story.

What they think will happen

What will actually happen

1 Like

Deja vu…this is exactly the kind of talk when Ma became President. And then the Sunflower movement happened…

All that assumes the Chinese economy keeps ballooning. I am in the China economic slowdown camp. I think the tarriffs are the only good thing Trump did. Taiwan, Japan and USA are among the biggest investors in China but China then uses that money to bully them. I don’t get why would you want to help your enemy get stronger and stronger. F China, invest that money somewhere else. They need to learn to play by the rules.

Many Taiwanese firms are talking about returning to Taiwan because of the tariffs. Also the gov in Taiwan and welcomed them in this time taking advantage of the situation.