"Taiwan is always part of China, but war with Australia is a fallacy" - Sydney Morning Herald

Just to be clear, I don’t think freedom of the press means people are free to spread false information. Media organizations aren’t just platforms for everyone to say anything. Prior to the eras of social media and 24 hour news, the media have historically also acted like a curator and only publish things after injecting some perspective. It will report on what Russia and China said about the US, but will comment on it and provide proof where Communists’ claims got wrong. To let obvious falsehoods like “Taiwan has belonged to China since ancient times” publish to the public without being commented on, that’s not freedom of the press, that’s just being a mouth piece.

1 Like

Isn’t this the same knob who was talking about re-education camps, and how the Japanese are Australia’s true enemies as if the year was 1943?

Ummm I’m not sure about that exact situation but he is a knob. I’ve seen a few of his interviews and press conferences. He’s always a knob and very good at sticking to the CCP narrative precisely, even when it doesn’t make sense.
Typical politician too, can’t answer a question with a straight answer. I guess east and west politicians both have that in common

1 Like

Look at that photo caption

It’s in the article too…oops.

The part where it undercuts his argument is that Australians are culturally and politically distinct from the United Kingdom, and became an independent country only in 1901. To put this in perspective, debatably, aside from 1945-1949, Taiwan has maintained far fewer cultural or political ties to China since 1895 than Australia did to the U.K. - I have often thought this.

Something that really frustrates me in Taiwan is how an article that has nothing to do with the US, has to make an unnecessary mention that the US agrees with xyz. Who gives a F, the article is about Australia, China and Taiwan.

So, today, many countries, including the United States, hold that sovereignty over Taiwan is “undetermined."- who cares what the US thinks, this isn’t about the US.

They seem to be using an unusual definition of “de facto”. Mostly, the Lion in Winter definition “Its got my troops all over it. That makes it mine” seems to be the standard, rather than “documents with international legal effect.”

Of course they may revert to that.

Red, Dead, Madame Mao’s Panties

Has a nice ring to it!